• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military heroes don’t just die on the battlefield

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Military heroes don’t just die on the battlefield

Trenton mom mourns loss of her hero son
Posted By Jerome Lessard - The Trentonian
http://www.trentonian.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1354492&auth=Jerome%20Lessard%20-%20The%20Trentonian

They were the 101st, 102nd and 103rd Canadian soldiers to be killed in Afghanistan since 2002 and their bodies were repatriated Tuesday at CFB Trenton.

However, for Trenton resident Audrey Goodrich, the 104th Canadian death in Afghanistan was also coming home but his body wasn't carried away along the Highway of Heroes.

Her 36-year-old son, Master Cpl. Roy-David Goodrich, passed away last September following complications during treatments for lung cancer and a brain tumor.

Goodrich, a member of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment at CFB Petawawa returned from his only tour in Afghanistan three years ago. A few short months later, Goodrich became seriously ill.

As his mom Audrey told The Trentonian, the cancers were both directly related to his tour in Afghanistan. She said after Roy-David was exposed to bombings, resulting in scratches all over his body becoming infected.

"We just don't know how many (soldiers) have died from medical complications after serving in Afghanistan," said Audrey Goodrich. "There are not just 103 soldiers who died in Afghanistan. My son and all the others who passed away at home following their stay should also be considered as heroes."

Audrey Goodrich doesn't usually attend the repatriation ceremonies. But Tuesday she wanted to pay respect, not only to her son but to Cpl. Thomas James Hamilton, Pte. John Michael Roy Curwin and Pte. Justin Peter Jones who were killed in Afghanistan last Saturday.

Goodrich stood along the fence at CFB Trenton, holding a photograph showing her son when he was serving in the Middle East, her eyes revealing emotion and pride.

"I decided to come today because I miss Roy-David so much," said Goodrich tearing up. "His body was not repatriated on the highway [of Heroes] but I deeply think he was a hero as well as these three guys coming home today."

Master Cpl. Goodrich's mother also wanted to bring attention to the fact that soldiers don't always die on the combat field. There are also veterans who come home safe after their tour but end up struggling with serious illnesses due to their tours in foreign countries.

According to Audrey Goodrich, this is a major issue and she deeply believes all those young veterans who passed away like her son deserve better treatment when it’s time to collectively remember.

"My son loved the army and he was proud to serve his country," added Goodrich. "He was thinking about going back for a second tour but life decided otherwise. In my heart there will be four hearses heading out to the 401 today and my son is in one of them. He is my hero."

This isn't new, there have been guys coming back sick for years. Whether the military will admit to it or not, is another story.

You are right, it is not news....

to us.

Many people either do not know, or forget that soldiers do die while not in Afghanistan. Nor is it more sad or more noble to die in Afghanistan than it is in the training area of Petawawa or a field outside of Moose Jaw. We as service members should not treat the death of a current serving CF member any different regardless if they die in Afghanistan or during training, or in hospital as a result of illness.

To do so cheapens all of our lives. That is the mother's point.

Back