• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military wedding in Winnipeg

Griswald DME

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone here been hitched at the 17 Wing Winnipeg?  My wife (common law) and I are going to make it legal this September and would appreciate any information you can supply.

Thanks,
DME

What kind of info were you looking for? I got married here in CFB Shilo (at the ranks :p)

Jane

CFL you'll have to clarify who you are speaking to in your message.

I have questions specific to 17 Wing and its ammenities, but thanks for the offer GIJANE.  How was Shilo?  I've heard Trenton's quite nice, and that was my second choice for posting so that is where we may have ended up getting married.

DME

Maybe CFL doesn't realize how many people get married on base?  Its very common, yes, the ranks also.

Shaynelle said:
Maybe CFL doesn't realize how many people get married on base?   Its very common, yes, the ranks also.

Yea, pardon me for not getting married in a big fancy church like everyone else.

Jane "yea, the mess!"

Hey if anyone's interested (no I'm not asking you to marry me) the chapel at 17 apparently is pretty nice - stained glass and everything.   Someone from here just sent me photos and I think its pretty swell, and my gal is pretty excited about how nice it looks.    So I don't knock anyone for getting married on base, in fact I think its one hell of deal!

DME

Griswald said:
Hey if anyone's interested (no I'm not asking you to marry me) the chapel at 17 apparently is pretty nice - stained glass and everything.   Someone from here just sent me photos and I think its pretty swell, and my gal is pretty excited about how nice it looks.    So I don't knock anyone for getting married on base, in fact I think its one hell of deal!

DME

Hey..i totally agree :) nothing wrong with a base wedding, i actually even had the regimantal photographer do our wedding pics, a heck of a good deal pay 300 or 3000???? hmm......nothing wrong with a church either if thats what you want, as for me sometimes i walk to the beat of a slightly different drum....... ;D Good luck with the wedding don't forget to let us know how it went, when is the lucky date btw??

JANE

The Image Techs in Winnipeg don't do weddings.  Anyone know of a photographer who does side jobs in Winnipeg?  I'm not into paying 2-4K for photos.  I'd rather spend that on the honeymoon thank you very much!

Also, has anyone heard of the Air Command Band playing at weddings?  I'm not talking the whole band, just a section suitable for weddings.

Thanks,
Shaynelle

Just an idea........

Give out disposable cameras to the guests and collect them up afterwards.  That won't cost a couple of grand and at least some of the pics are bound to be great.

For the formal pics maybe see if any of the local schools/universities have photography students willing to come out.

We just had our Regimental photographer to do it, he was cheaper and did a pretty good job, he's not a photo tech just your average arty guy, he even put our pics in a wedding album for us.

Jane

Hehehe I asked my guy if they had a "regimental photographer" and he said yes, basically someone was handed a camera and told "go take some photos".  So I guess thats not such an option for us :(  But I'll ask around, maybe there's a student as someone suggested that might help us out.  I'm also considering the disposable camera idea; the quality might not be there but the shots will have more meaning and better memories :)

Thanks!

I guess it also depends on how long he's been the regimental photographer eh...ours has been for as long as I've been around and thats 7 years who knows how long before that, so he's a pretty good photographer, been doing allot of weddings on the side too, but i know what you mean about not wanting to spend thousands on a photographer, the disposable are a good idea, and maybe get family to take some good ones too :) good luck.

Jane

When my youngest brother got married, they put disposable cameras on each table at the Reception.  Some of the most memorable and personal photos taken were from those cameras.  They provided them with more personal and a wider variety of photos than the 'Professional' Photographer could.  A 'Professional' Photographer can't be everywhere, all the time, and while concentrating on the couple, will miss many of the other memorable events of the occasion.

Now you have to take into consideration the fact that I am a male. One thing that I suggest you do spend money on is your pictures, I don't know what the cost's are like out west, I got married in St.john's and the cost was about $1000 but well worth it, look around in the yellow pages etc. Go to some places where receptions are held, they usually have a list of Photographers, caterers etc. The reason I say don't scrimp on the pics is because it's the one thing you will truly have forever and you will appreciate them over time. Your kids will want to look at them as will your grand kids. Also you'll probably want to give some to your parents and the grooms parents etc and you'll want good pics. We also had the disposable camera thing and it didn't work out well, I think out of 500 pics there were 10 of my wife and I. As the night progressed the pics from the disposables got worse and worse. Anyhow that's just my thoughts on it.

P.S. As a hint, just take the samples the photographer gives you. You can then purchase a Good printer, scan your photos in and print them that way and you don't mess with copyright etc. It's much cheaper that way!

Just a note on the photographer.  I just got married last year. We spent around 600 dollars for the photo session.  I was a little disapointed because I had a friend who has a really nice camera and was taking pics. He did a better job than the guy I paid.

Word of advice, usually not a good idea to rely on friends or family to take the pictures... hard for them to enjoy the wedding if they're taking pictures, and if they are enjoying the wedding, they're not taking pictures... same goes for videography.

Back