• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mowat or (Mowatt) Family

Arty_4

Inactive
Reaction score

ok seeing as how I have answered some people, and read through all these history posts I have a few questions of my own.
1. My great Uncle Lieut. Oliver Alexander Mowat or (Mowatt) of the 10th Battery, 3rd Brigade, D.F.A, RCA was wounded in Spaskee Russian at the end of WW1.  He later died and was buried there.  He received the MC just before he died, as Capt. O.A. Mowat.  I have a copy of the actual war diary written in 1919.  My question is, is there a place where I can find or get my hands on a copy of the actual medal, or if they get some sort of certificate for that can i get a copy of that?

Next is his brother Lt. Morden Maxwell Mowat.  He flew planes for the RFC during WW1 and was shot down somewhere over Germany.  The Germans reported that he was alive and that they did not kill him.  I have tried searching for RFC, and all the adjoining sites, but all the emails I send out, I never get an answer to.  Is there a way to find out how/when/if he was killed in germany?  Was a POW? 

I have searched all the Govt Archive sites, google, and every other airforce site on the net, all with no luck.  I was hoping to have all this put together for my father's 65th birthday next month but it doesn't look like this is going to happen.  SO if anyone can PLS help me I would really appreciate it.
Thank you In Advance
Arty's domestic 9er

from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, a useful resource for this sort of thing:

Name: MOWAT, OLIVER ALEXANDER
Initials: O A
Nationality: Canadian
Regiment: Canadian Field Artillery
Unit Text: 16th Bde.
Date of Death: 27/01/1919
Awards: MC
Additional information: Son of Max M. and Lillian A. Mowat, of Campbellton, N.B. (Headstone inscribed "Died in Russia").
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: L. 313.
Cemetery: CAMPBELLTON RURAL CEMETERY     

Casualty Details
Name: MOWAT, MORDEN MAXWELL
Initials: M M
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Royal Flying Corps
Unit Text: 11th Sqdn.
Date of Death: 16/05/1916
Additional information: Son of Maxwell M. and Lillian A. Mowat, of Campbellton, New Brunswick.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. D. 4.
Cemetery: CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ       

thanks so much, but I found all the info for Oliver after I posted this message  I also found a write up from the Maple Leaf outlining exactlly how he died and the battle that ensued before his death. 
Morden I didn't know about.  And he is proving to be a lot more difficult to research. 
thanks so much

I would just like to thank you again for all your help. 
Just a quick update, My great Uncle Captain Oliver Alexander Mowat was killed in Northern Russia in 1919.  He was Capt of 68 battery C.F.A.  He was awarded the Military Cross as I have said previously.
Since then I have been able to obtain the actual medal in it's original case with original documentation.  If I hadn't called my uncle when I did I never would have been able to bring Oliver home to rest at his home unit of 68 battery as my Uncle that had the medal was going to give it to the new war Museum in Ottawa.
The unit is going to display his picture along with his the medal and everything else.  I am proud to know that someone in my family made such a great sacrifice, and that he will be remembered even long after I am gone.
I would hope that some of you will get a chance to go and see what they have done when it is completed.
thank you again
Carrie Mowat

Back