• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Experience

forumdood007

Inactive
Reaction score
I am wondering if this process is pretty much the same for everyone. I visited the recruiting office and spoke with a recruiter about my situation, interests etc. I know which element I was interested in and then discussed entry plans as well as trades. I would be an NCM. I completed the application and returned 5 days later, met with another recruiter who advised me of the trade I should choose, based on my skills etc. A Technician trade was chosen and happened to be a "High Demand" one at that moment. Within a week or so, I was contacted to do the Aptitude test and made an appointment. As luck would have it, I was able to do the Medical and Interview the same day. My interview with the Career Counselor went well and from the information he had on his screen, my previous trade was now full, I had to select another. Based on my Aptitude test, everything was open. I made a new choice. I had to provide routine blood work to medical, which I hand delivered in 1 week. During this time, the newly selected trade is now full. I am told that Medical, in Ottawa will take approximately 4 weeks. Assuming it will clear, along with my Back Check, I will get the green light after that. The way I see it, I am not sure what I would be "offered" at that point, I wonder what the purpose of trade selection was really for? Will it be eeny meeny miny moe with whatever is left? This isn't going nearly the way I thought it would. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yes - Wait and see what you are offered and then from those choices make a selection or inform them that you have your heart set on a certain trade and wish to wait until that is available.  The CF is a large organization and it recruits from coast to coast so it isn't going to have openings in each and every trade at all times and the list of closed / full trades can change alot very quickly. See what they offer and then choose if any of them seem like something you want to do.

forumdood007 said:
I am wondering if this process is pretty much the same for everyone. I visited the recruiting office and spoke with a recruiter about my situation, interests etc. I know which element I was interested in and then discussed entry plans as well as trades. I would be an NCM. I completed the application and returned 5 days later, met with another recruiter who advised me of the trade I should choose, based on my skills etc. A Technician trade was chosen and happened to be a "High Demand" one at that moment. Within a week or so, I was contacted to do the Aptitude test and made an appointment. As luck would have it, I was able to do the Medical and Interview the same day. My interview with the Career Counselor went well and from the information he had on his screen, my previous trade was now full, I had to select another. Based on my Aptitude test, everything was open. I made a new choice. I had to provide routine blood work to medical, which I hand delivered in 1 week. During this time, the newly selected trade is now full. I am told that Medical, in Ottawa will take approximately 4 weeks. Assuming it will clear, along with my Back Check, I will get the green light after that. The way I see it, I am not sure what I would be "offered" at that point, I wonder what the purpose of trade selection was really for? Will it be eeny meeny miny moe with whatever is left? This isn't going nearly the way I thought it would. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Well, what do you expect?

They aren't going to "hold" a spot for you, because you hadn't qualified for it yet. Other people are qualifying every week. The fact is now, more than usual, there is a lot of people applying to the Canadian Forces and the positions are very competitive. Nobody expected that two trades that were in huge demand a year or two ago (infantry and armour) would be overstaffed.

That said, I don't recommend you join for just anything, you should join the trade you want to. If that trade is full, either find another that you want to do, or wait until it's open. It'll be a long three (or more) years if you don't like the job.

"Nauticus" is correct.
You shouldn't go into a field you are not interested. I applied to be a AERE, ACSO, and AEC.  Since AERE was full, I was considered and interviewed for ACSO. However, after a long research and talking to many CF personnel, I changed my whole file and now AERE is the only option I have on my file, and I know the wait will pay off for better in near future. So do the as many research as you can select the option you are really interested, because if you accepted a  TRADE you don't like, you are stuck with it for sometime (considering OT will take sometime to process and not guaranteed).

The recruiting center told me that positions are made available every April, so you may not have too long to wait until they accept a new round of applicants. You're getting good advice to select the trade you think you'd do best in/be happiest in...my recruiter told me the CF wants to make sure it's a good fit from the start because they don't want to spend time and money to train you only to have you leave the Forces because you're unhappy, and because happy soldiers make good soldiers. Follow your gut. Good luck with everything!

as said above, select the trade ur most interested in rather than choosing what's available now. my trade (infantry) is closed till april and all i am doing right now is wait and work out..

Thanks folks, appreciate it. From the start, it almost seemed like the recruiters were trying to fill the most immediately needed trades, not even offering anything else. After my Medical clears, the middle to end of December they tell me, I will be revisiting the office with more questions about many other trades and I too had considered that April is a new budget year. I could be spending Jan, Feb, March at BMQ anyway. Since I am entering at a later age, I am more interested in a trade that will get me into promotions and pay raises as quickly as possible....I am fully prepared to work my ass off to achieve this as well.....some trades may be better for this plan of action???

arwin said:
as said above, select the trade ur most interested in rather than choosing what's available now. my trade (infantry) is closed till april and all i am doing right now is wait and work out..

That's exactly what I'm doing too. I was hoping I could start my file early and then be ready to go once Infantry opened back up, but since they are not accepting anymore files for Infantry, I will have to wait till April to begin my process again.  Which is totally fine with me, I waited just about a year the first time around whats 4 or 5 months right lol. Anyways maybe I'll see yea at basic arwin!

I talked to a recruiter last week and he wants to do anything he can to help my file out. He said my file was still in the process of being released so he suggests I should call near the end of January to check and see if it has been fully released yet or not but he said something about putting a note on my file to try and speed it up a bit. He also said I should be able to start my file up again towards the end of February-early March, and since I only need to do a medical and a 5-1m minute interview and maybe a back check, everything should go very smoothly and quick(I'm hoping so anyways). I should be ready to go as soon as Infantry opens back up! Time to train train train!!

Forumdood007

I had two friends go into CFRC Halifax within 2 days of each other and both interested in AC Op and the trade was "In Demand". The following Monday friend one had her medical and was told she needed more information. She returned later that week and was told the trade was full and has left the forces idea for now.
Friend 2 went back in Tuesday but has been thrown a curve ball as he was giving incorrect information and ended up on the NE list. It is getting sorted out but he too was told that AC Op was full for the year and he is waiting for the position to open up.

I went in approximately a week later and just talked with a recruiter. I knew I was interested in a few trades, both land and air and talked about what my background was and interests. He agreed that AESOP and Wep Tech Land would be my best bet even though both trades were full for the year. I went the next step and asked what that meant exactly and was told that "The positions are full for training based on available instructors and demand. However trades that were 'in demand' this year and are closed will be in demand again in April."

It sounds like you were in the same boat my friends are in, just don't be discouraged and see what happens.

I am in a similar situation at the moment, but am certain that patience is the key here.  No doubt they will not hold for you 'the position', and the general idea I continuously encounter in this subject is: wait patiently (with the occasional callback).

Back