• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO Warns AFG Children About Toy Guns

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Toy guns a concern to ISAF troops
ISAF news release # 2007-014, 4 Jan 07
Article Link

KABUL, Afghanistan (4 January) – ISAF troops are reporting an increase in the number of replica or toy guns being played with by children around military patrols which is concerning patrol commanders.

During the celebration of Eid, it would appear that many children have been given toy guns as presents. Playing with them and pointing them at patrolling ISAF troops is a dangerous practice, which could result in troops mistaking the replica weapons for real ones, and reacting to protect themselves.

“I would urge parents to ensure that their children do not play with toy guns around patrolling troops. Some of the toy guns are very life like and can easily be mistaken by troops as the real thing,” said Maj. Dominic Whyte, ISAF spokesman.

We advise all parents to educate their children in the dangers involved with playing with toy guns in public.

I almost whacked a Afghani kid while I was there with the military -- had a plastic AK toy that he pointed at me...

You gotta wonder about the mentality of someone who gives their kid a toy gun in a warzone.  Heck in todays day and age - I'm not giving my son a toy gun in CANADA.

We don't buy them for our kids, and throw them out if someone else gets them or they come in loot bags or whatever... It doesn't matter that it was a fake if they are dead because a cop mistook it for real... Parents need to think about how it will affect their child... Because really, no one wants a dead child if it can be avoided...

I bought a .22LR rifle for my son when he turned 6.  But I dont think toy guns are good for much
  But damn I had fun as a kid playing cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers.

I almost wonder if some give out toy guns in Afghan and Iraq (BigRed and I saw a kid with a toy gun here today to put a point to it) to try to get us to shoot the kids in mistaken ID events for PR reasons... 

Infidel-6 said:
I almost wonder if some give out toy guns in Afghan and Iraq (BigRed and I saw a kid with a toy gun here today to put a point to it) to try to get us to shoot the kids in mistaken ID events for PR reasons... 

It would certainly be a logical extension/add-on to the "human shield" approach highlighted here, here and here...

Back