• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Reserve PAO

tree hugger

Reaction score
I heard a couple of years ago that each Naval reserve division will be alloted 1 PAO each.  When I visited recruiting at HMCS York 2 mo ago, they said that they haven't been given a slot.  Does anyone know when this directive will take effect?  I'm wonderfully extroverted and I think I would do well in this trade....

Nothing on the website yet except:

Please consult your local recruiter to verify the availability of this Reserve occupation in your area, as well as element-specific information.

You might want to try at your local CFRC and see if they know in what areas slots have been given, and go from there.

This is the response:

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Forces (CF).

We do not have access to that information, Please stay in contact the Reserve unit you wish to join to verify the availability of this position.  Is there any other trade that appeals to you?

Not very helpful...

Here is the deal:

The NAVRES PAO trade is designed to draw from NAVRES (or navy) members with previous experience in another trade, so the CFRC is not involved in the process. If you are previously-qualified in another navy trade and are interested, you would have to apply through your local NRD who responds to an annual solicitation for applications.  One course a year is presently run, which involves a couple of two-week in-house phases and a few months of DL.

If you're not in the navy, it might be a long-shot.  You'd have to make a pretty strong case to the NRD's CO that despite not knowing anything about the organization, you would be able to represent it to the media.  The idea behind the new trade is to take people with extensive NAVRES experience and give them specialized communications training, not to recreate the (ineffective) NDPAO organization.

I have previous military experience.  It's a long and confusing story but I think I would be considered a COT and CT transfer.

tree hugger said:
I have previous military experience.  It's a long and confusing story but I think I would be considered a COT and CT transfer.

Your profile states that you are now a civy, and were formally an officer.  A CT is a component transfer, ie Res to Reg, or vice versa, not Civi to Res and therefore I don't believe that you would qualify for that method. As well, hamiltongs mentions the preference for previous experience within Navres, which is not evident from your profile.  From what he has said, I see that unfortunately as 2 marks against you.

However, you still have the last part of his reply to work with, that is "to make a pretty strong case".  Best of luck.

I was a naval reserve officer, switched to ROTP airforce, got medically released.  I put in a grievance saying that I was wrongly released.  They came back agreeing, so they're putting me back in ASAP (ie bi-passing all the crapola).  Since I cannot remain airfield engineering, due to my medcat, they automatically have to COT me.  Since I was kicked out I got a nice public service job and decided reserve is the way for me.  So they will be CT-ing me.

Told you it was confusing....

So give me those 2 marks back.  ;)

Not so confusing, and good to hear that it has worked out (eventually) for you.  Your marks are returned, with best wishes.  You say York has no positions for PAO, but have they checked into things further as to if they will, or if anyone else has any yet?  Obviously you are in the Toronto area?

Today I got contacted by the CFRG and I gave them PAO as my first choice and LogO as my second.  At this point I would accept a trade of "brass polisher" just to get back in.

tree hugger said:
I was a naval reserve officer, switched to ROTP airforce...

AND she's survived an evening drinking with the likes of 48th Regulator and Danjanou  >:D

"Night of drinking"??  I thought it was a warm-up for the real night of drinking.  Trust me, I can do it much better!

tree hugger said:
"Night of drinking"??  I thought it was a warm-up for the real night of drinking.  Trust me, I can do it much better!
Congrats th --
We'd better call ahead, with all the Alexander Keiths fans you've mustered, they may very well run out.  Proudnurse is good for a few!  Sounds like we have a lot to celebrate at the next M&G (I passed)  :D

So I'm not sure if HMCS York has or has not been given a PAFFO spot or if it has already been filled or if it's just being filled as part of someone's secondary duties.... 

I did put PAFFO as my first choice, explained to the PSO why I'd be good there so he's going to check it out for me.  I'd be happy just getting back in but I know I would do a great job in a PAFFO role.  I'm sure I'd do well as a LogO as well - my second choice, but I think I'd be more "inspired" working as a PAFFO.

We will see won't we...

I emailed my Recruiting Officer/PSO today.  I asked him for the time being to delete LogO from my trade choices.  I explained that if there was no way for me to do PAO out of York then I'd like to explore going PAO out of Hamilton (HMCS Star?) or at Borden (Air Reserve flight).  The travel would be a pain but I really feel PAO would be the best for me... and the CF would be getting great value from me.

Whoa...back up...D2, did you say you passed? As in passed the med ex? Spill...

TH, congrats...hope it turns out for you.  If you want I can hook you up with a few sea loggies I know for details on the trade. 

Well, there is a spot at HMCS York, however it is filled.  400 Sqn in Borden doesn't have a slot.  I'm hoping HMCS Star might have an opening, although that commute would suck. 

Looks like I may end up as a LogO after all.  There are worse things in life though....  :D

Back