• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Weapons Tech

moose436

Inactive
Reaction score
I had planned on going to Memorial for training but missed this year. If I go straight to Halifax for two years will I be missing out - really?

I guess it depends on what you consider "missing out"  Will you receive a similar education in halifax compared to MI?  Yes, but by attending MI you will get a diploma thats recognized on the civi street.  You dont get that diploma by doing your academics in Halifax.  You will also be missing out on 2 years of having your killick (acting lacking but the pay is still the same).  If you go the MUN route, you receive your killicks upon graduation from there in 2 years.  By going through CFNES in halifax, you wont get your killicks until 4 years of service.  Theres always the chance of advance promotion but thats only a chance and it wont come until 3+ years in.  So to answer your question, yes you will be missing out on somethings.  Its only the academics that you receive in MUN so the hands on training is all done here.  You wont miss out on any of that.  The biggest thing is getting your killicks after 2 years as thats a decent pay hike from AB to LS.  Hope that helped.

And for those that don't know what a killick is its the nickname for the leading seaman rank.

Milnet.ca Staff

I too am considering this trade and find it tragic that a guy can miss out on 2 years of rank and pay by going to Mun (which I cannot do). I am trying to justify this in my mind and am researching how much pay I'd actually miss out on!

I think tragic might be a bit of a stretch. Yes, the supertech program is a pretty damned good deal. It being a good deal however, doesn't make the regular entry plan any worse of a deal. Whatever the reasons that preclude you from attending MUN, they don't necessarily preclude you from getting a job that combines a very decent starting salary with one of the best leave, health, dental, and pension plans in the country.

Back