• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCSE Applications Course - Non-Engineering Degree Preparation.

Nostix

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently finishing up a four-year BSc. in Computer Science, and recently I've been considering a DEO as a Naval Combat Systems Engineering officer. Since I've had the good fortune of a little foresight, I have an opportunity to try to mitigate the shortcomings of my CSC degree. After looking at through quite a bit of material here, I'm aware of the topics covered in the course, and the general parallels between the content and Electrical Engineering. I can't do anything in particular about any specific content, but I intend to shore up my knowledge-base as much as possible.

I'm looking for a description of the math and other skills required throughout the course.  I've completed Calculus I & II, as well as Diff. Eq. The only other Math course that a BEng. Elec would need to take is Multi-variable Calculus. Is there anything above and beyond finishing a Multi-Variable course that would be helpful in preparation?

Any other suggestions, comments, or criticisms regarding me or the NCSE field would also be appreciated. Its often that you don't know you're forgetting to ask a question until someone else points it out.

Hopefully I'm not getting too far ahead of myself here.

Best Regards.

Anyways, may as well take another shot here, seeing as how I have eight months of free time on my hands. I completed all of these, but I plan on re-auditing all three as a refresher since three years can really fog your memory. Here is the full listing of all concepts covered in each.

Differential Equations: First order equations, linear second order equations, 2-dimensional systems of linear equations with constant coefficients, elementary qualitative methods, numerical Euler and Runge-Kutta methods, Laplace transforms.

Calculus of several variables: Vectors and vector functions; solid analytic geometry; partial differentiation; directional derivatives and the gradient vector; Lagrange multipliers; multiple integration with applications; cylindrical and spherical coordinates; surface area; line integrals; Green's Theorem, surface integrals, the divergence theorem.

Multi-variable calculus: Vectors in two and three dimensions, vector-valued functions, functions of several variables, multivariate differential calculus, multiple integrals.

It would really help me out if someone who has been through the CSE program could just give a quick once-over to the list and point out any glaring deficiencies that I should go make an effort to look at.

I finished Aps Course last year and with a degree in Computer Science you pretty much have all the pre-requisite you need to be successful in the course. I have a degree in Chemical Eng. and I didn't have much problem to pass everything. The first "semester" of the course is more theory, the second is more equipment oriented for the frigates. The only thing you might want to check is hydraulics, control theory and electro-mag but all the subjects start with the basics. The civilian teachers are very good and knowledgeable since they have been there for ages... for the military teachers, it's more of a hit and miss... they are only there for one year, most of them are just done their phase VI afloat and are not very qualified to teach anything since teaching is more of an art than a skill, but I know most of them personally and they are very dedicated to what they do... except one, but that you'll find for yourself  ;D

Back