• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need a Degree (Navy Officer Trade)?

darkskye

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

In most of the descriptions of each trade on froces.ca it states a degree is required for Officer positions in Army, but looking at some of the Navy Officer trades I don't see much information stating whether you need the degree.

I am interested in the following two Navy trades, Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer and Marine Systems Engineering Officer. Does anyone know offhand if you need a degree for those two trades? I am going to call tomorrow, but thought I could ask here for an answer.

As both of those classifications have "Engineering" in their description, perhaps a degree in engineering might be useful?

MS ENG

" CAREER DEVELOPMENT You will be enrolled at the rank of Naval Cadet (NCdt). On completion of a degree and Basic Officer Training, you will be commissioned as an Acting Sub-Lieutenant (ASLt). On completion of the Naval Engineering Indoctrination course and one year of commissioned service, you will be promoted to the rank of Sub-Lieutenant (SLt). Upon attaining your qualification as a Marine Systems Engineer and after three years of commissioned service, you will be promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Navy (Lt(N)). Further promotions are based upon performance, potential and merit." source  http://forces.ca/html/marinesystemsengineeringofficer_reg_en.aspx 

NCS ENG

"CAREER DEVELOPMENTAll NCS ENG candidates are enrolled at the rank of Naval Cadet. On completion of a degree and Basic Officer Training, the NCS ENG candidate is commissioned as an Acting Sub-Lieutenant. On completion of the required Professional Training and one year of commissioned service, the NCS ENG candidate is promoted to the rank of Sub-Lieutenant.After three years of commissioned service and the confirmation of the NCS ENG qualification, the candidate is promoted to the rank of Lieutenant (Navy). Further promotions are based upon performance, potential and merit." source
http://forces.ca/html/navalcombatsystemsengineeringofficer_reg_en.aspx

You're in Barrie. Georgian has a Mech Eng Degree program with U Windsor as well as 3 yr Technologist diplomas in Mech and Marine Engineering which can be applied to a Uni degree.

McD said:
You're in Barrie. Georgian has a Mech Eng Degree program with U Windsor as well as 3 yr Technologist diplomas in Mech and Marine Engineering which can be applied to a Uni degree.

Normally, technician/technologist training is not useful towards the pursuit of an engineering degree, unless there is a special bridging program.  The diploma you're talking about (well, the Marine Engineering one anyways) would lead to advanced standing as a Marine Engineering Technician, or "stoker".

Occam said:
Normally, technician/technologist training is not useful towards the pursuit of an engineering degree, unless there is a special bridging program.  The diploma you're talking about (well, the Marine Engineering one anyways) would lead to advanced standing as a Marine Engineering Technician, or "stoker".
That may be. Thanks for the correction , much appreciated :) Ill be the first to admit I figured the Marine Engineering /bridge programs would be similar. I'd be interested to learn more what they entail.

My experience was a bit different. It's been a few years since I looked into it, and my experience is only with Georgian and Mech Eng Tech.  There were quite a few options for us then most notably UWO shaving a year to a year and a half off if I remember right grades depending. Myself I was only given advanced standing to begin 2nd year courses with the possibility of having to take a couple upgrade courses. That was for a Mechanical  Engineering Degree from UWO.

Is that the same almost 5 years later? I don't know but the OP is in Barrie and it's worth a shot. What was more popular were the Bachelor of Technology Degrees from McMaster and Cape Breton. They gave advanced standing of 2.5 years I believe. Georgian was just getting the U of Windsor Enginering Degree as I was leaving but we were told we would be able to enter 3rd year with the first graduating class of the program once they were there. 

Just my .02 and experiences.

If you're going to apply to become a Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer, I highly suggest you go with an actual engineering degree. There are a few other degrees that are deemed acceptible, but frankly it's been my experience that people who got in after one of those degrees (e.g. Computer Science) typically do not have a rigorous enough mathematical base to work from. This turns your applications course, which is basically a 8 month crash course in electrical engineering, into a crash course in mathematics AND engineering at the same time, except you have to do all the math stuff on your own.

At least in my course, the students who did the poorest were the ones without an Eng degree. 

Generally, ALL officers in the CF now require degrees (there are exceptions of course, e.g. Commission from the Ranks).  If you are enrolled without one, you will be expected to get one in due course.

Back