• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New drill move

tree hugger

Reaction score
Yesterday, here in Petawawa, I witnessed a new drill movement and I'm wondering if the course staff is making it up or if it is new and correct.

Group was formed up, weapon at shoulder arms and at attention.  When told to stand "at ease", the butt end of the weapon was moved across the body to the belt buckle with both hands meeting, weapon on an angle at the body.

Has anyone seen this before?

-th

Thats carbine drill. They've brought it back for the C7A2s (not just for C8s).

It's not really new drill, but actually just retro drill fashion.  Apparently, the same drill movement was done when we carried C1 SMG.

It is all in the drill pam:

6. On the command STAND AT – EASE, squad
members shall:
a. with the right hand, bring the carbine to a
diagonal position in front of the body with the
butt toward the left knee, the muzzle towards
the right shoulder and the magazine to the
left (Figure 5-1-3);
b. place the left hand over the right so the back
of the right hand is in the palm of the left; and
c. simultaneously, bend the left knee and place
the left foot on the ground 25 cm to the left.

I do not know why you would do C8 Carbine drill as when the butt of the C7A2 is fully extended it is long enough to do normal rifle drill. At least in my opinion.

If there were a mixture of wpns (rifles and carbines) a decision may have been made to adopt on drill for uniformity of movement and timing.

If there's a mixed bag of weapons, the command to order arms would be given first, and those that can, would.

Kat Stevens said:
If there's a mixed bag of weapons, the command to order arms would be given first, and those that can, would.

Right Kat, straight from the Drill PAM

On parades where carbines and rifles are carried, personnel carrying carbines shall remain at the shoulder arms position whenever the command order arms is given.

I have been on a few parades with the C7-A2 and I guess for ease of the troops (or lazyness of the higher ups) we all did normal rifle drill.

Back