• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Zealand to ban cigarette sales for future generations

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
People aged 14 and under in 2027 will never be allowed to purchase cigarettes:

In before in the British military:

Not a smoker, but I would observe just how well that approach has worked for drugs…
It will just end up being sold as contraband. A substantial portion of cigarettes smoked in Canada are already contraband.

It's phenomenally easy to get contraband tobacco.

I'm not surprised though, NZ is the bloody mother of all Nanny States. I would never want to live there.

It will just end up being sold as contraband. A substantial portion of cigarettes smoked in Canada are already contraband.

I'm not surprised though, NZ is the bloody mother of all Nanny States. I would never want to live there.

Bloody easy here. NZ has very different border control dynamics than we do. They don’t share a border with the US, with large sections of territory straddling the border under quasi-sovereign control of indigenous groups with relatively unconstrained movement. They also can’t just wait for the Tasman see to freeze up and sled across.

Coming soon to a CAF near you. Quit Smoking Before Dec 15 2025 Or Face Remedial Measures Followed By Release. And merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Coming soon to a CAF near you. Quit Smoking Before Dec 15 2025 Or Face Remedial Measures Followed By Release. And merry Christmas and a happy new year.
How is that smoking ban in the UK military working out anyway?

Don’t forget to attest or else.

Next thing to ban will be unhealthy BMIs. Between the two they should have far fewer health problems to deal with.

I wonder if the tax loss will be made up for the reduced healthcare costs? They could always jack up the carbon tax I suppose…

They destroyed their agricultural marketing boards, all but eliminated government control of fisheries and went to free market, and took a hard line against powerful unions. Saved them from full economic collapse. They don't really pigeonhole super well by North American political definitions.

Their economic "tough medicine" was taken a long time ago. The Ardern government isn't the one that did that.

I'm always curious how alcohol avoids mention in these discussions.

LCBO operates boutique liquor stores now. Wasn't always that way.

As kids we bought cigarettes from vending machines. They asked no questions. Wasn't so long ago you could buy them in drug stores.

Other than fire hazard, nobody got hasseled , much, about smoking.

Mom told me that when I was born, "The nurse would bring you in and I had a cigarette here, a breast there, and you there. I loved it!"

How is that smoking ban in the UK military working out anyway?
About as well as a CAF vaccine mandate is stopping COVID outbreaks and allowing us to continue working/training close to normal conditions...

Back