• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No right to a lawyer during interrogation, Supreme Court rules

ProudNewfoundlander

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/no-right-to-a-lawyer-during-interrogation-supreme-court-rules/article1749557/

Suspects in serious crimes do not have a right to consult their lawyer during a police interrogation, the Supreme Court of Canada said today.

The issue split the Court into two distinct factions, with the majority asserting that suspects cannot expect to halt an intense or heated interrogation in order to obtain ongoing legal advice.

No right to a lawyer during interrogation, Supreme Court rules
Kirk Makin
Globe and Mail Update
Published Friday, Oct. 08, 2010 11:17AM EDT

The issue split the Court into two distinct factions, with the majority asserting that suspects cannot expect to halt an intense or heated interrogation in order to obtain ongoing legal advice.

More related to this story
•Supreme Court ruling will clarify government’s right to keep Canadians in the dark
•Supreme Court upholds convictions in horrific child-murder case
In an attempt to bring clarity to the murky question of how the right to counsel applies during interrogations, the Court issued three judgments dealing with comparable interrogation-room scenarios.

A five-judge majority firmly sided with the police, saying that a suspect who has been granted his right to consult with counsel prior to an interrogation cannot later insist on seeing his lawyer again simply because he doesn’t like the way things are going.

Defence counsel condemned the rulings as being out-of-touch with the reality of law enforcement.

“It’s not a realistic understanding of what happens when someone is in police custody,” said Frank Addario, a Toronto lawyer. “I think it gives the police precisely the advantage that the right to counsel in the Charter was meant to deny them.”

“Five judges of the Supreme Court think it’s okay to detain and isolate people in Canada after they’ve spoken to a lawyer,” Mr. Addario added. “That’s not really a civil libertarian approach – it’s empathy for the interrogator.”

Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin and Madam Justice Louise Charron wrote the majority reasons on behalf of Madam Justice Marie Deschamps, Mr. Justice Marshall Rothstein and Mr. Justice Tom Cromwell.

Writing in dissent, Mr. Justice Ian Binnie criticized the majority for continuing a gradual clampdown on the right to counsel.

“What now appears to be licensed is that a presumed innocent individual may be detained and isolated by the police for at least five or six hours without reasonable recourse to a lawyer, during which time the officers can brush aside assertions of the right to silence or demands to be returned to his or her cell, in an endurance contest in which the police interrogators, taking turns with one another, hold all the important legal cards,” Judge Binnie said.

In separate dissenting reasons, Mr. Justice Louis LeBel, Madam Justice Rosalie Abella and Mr. Justice Morris Fish argued that the right to counsel is intended to aid citizens when they are at their most intimidated and vulnerable.

They said that suspects can easily become confused when they are confronted by police with bits and pieces of real or fictional evidence. Believing there is no hope, they may be induced to give up their right to silence.

“The right to counsel – and by extension, its meaningful exercise, cannot be made to depend on an interrogator’s opinion as to its opportunity or utility,” they said.

In the first case, the Court majority ruled that self-incriminating statements from Trent Terrence Sinclair, who was being interrogated about an alcohol-induced killing, were admissible at his trial.

Mr. Sinclair had spoken twice to a lawyer of his choice before he underwent an interrogation lasting several hours. He repeatedly refused to respond to questions and asked to speak to his lawyer again.

Police refused to let him do so, and insisted that Mr. Sinclair did not have the right to have his lawyer present during questioning.

Following his interrogation, Mr. Sinclair made a number of incriminating statements to an undercover officer who had been placed in his jail cell. He also took police to the scene of the killing and participated in a re-enactment.

“Had he been provided with an opportunity to consult counsel, the outcome would likely have been very different,” Mr. Justice Lebel and Mr. Justice Fish wrote.

They acknowledged that murder is a crime of the utmost severity.

“So, too, however is the right being protected,” they said. “The impact of the breach struck at the core of one of our most cherished legal protections – the right to silence and the protection against self-incrimination.”

But Chief Justice McLachlin and Judge Charron argued that a suspect can only “re-trigger” the right to counsel if something happens in the interrogation room that dramatically changes the situation, necessitating fresh legal advice.

“While the police must be respectful of an individual’s Charter rights, a rule that would require the police to automatically retreat upon a detainee stating that he or she has nothing to say, would not strike the proper balance between the public interest in the investigation of crimes and the suspect’s interest in being left alone,” they said.

But Judge Binnie said that defence counsel cannot be expected to offer effective advice to a suspect without knowing what is unfolding in an interrogation room.

He said that expecting a lawyer in an informational vacuum can only offer the equivalent of a phone message that states: “You have reached counsel. Keep your mouth shut. Press one to repeat this message.”

In the second case, another B.C. man – Donald McCrimmon – failed in his bid to overturn eight sexual assault convictions involving attacks on a series of women.

Mr. McCrimmon had been unable to reach his lawyer of choice prior to his interrogation, but he was granted a brief discussion with duty counsel.

During his ensuing interrogation, Mr. McCrimmon repeatedly asked to have a lawyer present. Police denied his requests. Mr. McCrimmon went on to make incriminating statements that were admitted at his trial.

The Supreme Court majority said today that the statements were properly introduced. They refused to grant Mr. McCrimmon a new trial.

In the third case, Stanley James Willier – an Alberta man acquitted in the 2005 stabbing of a woman – was ordered back for a retrial.

Prior to being interrogated, Mr. Willier had held two brief discussions with duty counsel. However, he became nervous during questioning and asserted his right to speak to a specific lawyer.

The Court majority said that the right to counsel is not open-ended. They said that, in essence, it was Mr. Willier’s own fault if he was unable to elicit the sort of legal advice he needed prior to his interrogation.

At least they can't make us talk.  Imagine that rule, you must answer the questions, or the beatings will continue. :)

Soooo.,....you have the right to silence, and they have the right to interrogate.....so just STFU if you do not want anything used against you in court....

.....Frank Addario, a Toronto lawyer. “I think it gives the police precisely the advantage that the right to counsel in the Charter was meant to deny them.”

Heaven forbid the people who protect us should have any sort of advantage  ::)

GAP said:
Soooo.,....you have the right to silence, and they have the right to interrogate.....so just STFU if you do not want anything used against you in court....

Exactly. If you think you're in trouble and they start asking questions the only thing you should be saying is invoking your right to counsel, right off the hop and then nothing else until instructed by your lawyer.

Fortunately, or unfortuntately, depending on what side you're on, most people can't keep their yaps shut once they get going.

Journeyman said:
Heaven forbid the people who protect us should have any sort of advantage  ::)

I don't take issue with us a group wanting the cops to 'get their man', but I also don't take issue with the accused trying his best to get out of the hot water he finds himself in.

Brutus said:
.....but I also don't take issue with the accused trying his best to get out of the hot water he finds himself in.

So in one of the article's examples:
"Donald McCrimmon – failed in his bid to overturn eight sexual assault convictions involving attacks on a series of women,"
Police should have no advantages, since this guy's just a good ol' boy trying to get out of a bit of 'hot water'?

Journeyman said:
So in one of the article's examples:  Police should have no advantages, since this guy's just a good ol' boy trying to get out of a bit of 'hot water'?

No, that's not what I said...I said I don't take issue with HIM trying to get himself off the hook. We have an advesarial Justice system...it's designed to pit the Crown against the accused. Our cops, Lawyers, and Judges are (by and large) intelligent, competant people and have more than enough tools and resources at their disposal to effectively administer the CCC. They don't NEED this advantage to nail a guilty man (evidenced by the man's convictions you cited), but I bet it sure would be helpful to wrongfully convict an innocent man...

I believe, as a society, the balance between "rights" and "responsibilities" has swung too far out of alignment. If this aids the police by helping re-align that equation, then I'm OK with us disagreeing.

Journeyman said:
I believe, as a society, the balance between "rights" and "responsibilities" has swung too far out of alignment. If this aids the police by helping re-align that equation, then I'm OK with us disagreeing.

Giving the police powers to which they otherwise shouldn't have in an atrempt to correct an imbalance in other areas is not really what we should be trying to do. If you don't like the sentencing, leniancy of judges, lack of enough police officers to adequately handle the criminal element, etc., allowing the police to force us to talk is not the fix.

Perhaps it is all in the wording.  Perhaps that is why we don't teach "interrogation" techniques, but "interview" techniques.    ;D

Brutus said:
allowing the police to force us to talk is not the fix.

But the decision does not do that. The decision by the SCC holds that, having already exercised their right to counsel prior to interrogation, a suspect does not have a right to force a halt to interrogation in order to consult with a lawyer again, unless something has significantly changed during the conduct of that interrogation.

Nowhere do the police have the ability to force you to talk. Yes, the interrogation model used by police is very good at breaking down peoples' resistance by playing on their emotions and desperation, but the police still cannot coerce admissions from people who simply choose to exercise their right to silence.

No extra power has been extended to police that did not already exist. The court has merely clarified the status quo as being kosher.

Brihard said:
But the decision does not do that. The decision by the SCC holds that, having already exercised their right to counsel prior to interrogation, a suspect does not have a right to force a halt to interrogation in order to consult with a lawyer again, unless something has significantly changed during the conduct of that interrogation.

Nowhere do the police have the ability to force you to talk. Yes, the interrogation model used by police is very good at breaking down peoples' resistance by playing on their emotions and desperation, but the police still cannot coerce admissions from people who simply choose to exercise their right to silence.

No extra power has been extended to police that did not already exist. The court has merely clarified the status quo as being kosher.

That's not what journeyman and I were discussing. He took issue with my statement that I had no problem with an accused doing everything he could (like not talking to the police) in order to get himself off the hook.

I agree with and am pleased with the SCC ruling.

Yeah, our Supreme Court has never been a big fan of the whole "Individual Rights & Liberties". We're far from a totalitarian state mind you, but we're not 100% free; there is still some nagging issues that are unjust and that need to be  addressed.

Brutus said:
That's not what journeyman and I were discussing. He took issue with my statement that I had no problem with an accused doing everything he could (like not talking to the police) in order to get himself off the hook.
No, my point was I understand perfectly this interpretation of the law. We differ on, at this point in jurisprudence time, whatever gets our law-enforcement people an advantage.

I believe you said you support both sides doing whatever they can to win their case...like it's just some value-free, fun-filled game. So my point was based merely on living in the real world -- I'm not a lawyer, cop, or criminal.

ProudNewfoundlander said:
Yeah, our Supreme Court has never been a big fan of the whole "Individual Rights & Liberties".

While there are always a few things needing addressing, I could point to many decisions that show your claim to be bunk.

Our Supreme Court has been very respectful of the individual rights and liberties as set out in our Charter, even in cases where it has resulted in unpopular decisions that have been held by some to be favourable to those suspected of crimes.

No individual in any society is "100% free". Our behaviour is always constrained by law and convention- I defer to Hobbes in conceiving what live without such inhibitions would be like. Generally speaking, though, our Supreme Court strikes an excellent balance, erring, when it does, on the side of protecting individual liberty. Various sections of the Charter frequently come into conflict, but the test developed to determine if section 1 is to allow a law to stand that would otherwise constitute a Charter breach sets very high standards.

Under our charter any of our rights can be revoked through a lengthy process. This is because within our charter it states "no rights are absolute".

Ex. If someone is on parole, their mobility rights. Their rights to move province to province or out of Canada can be restricted.

All together this decision by the supreme court did somewhat shock me.

Journeyman said:
I believe you said you support both sides doing whatever they can to win their case...like it's just some value-free, fun-filled game. So my point was based merely on living in the real world -- I'm not a lawyer, cop, or criminal.

I did, yes.

Like I said, the Justice system is an advesarial one...one side pitted against the other. That's not a bad thing, in fact, it works so well all Western Democracies use it. In order for it to be effective, the system has to have rules in the 'fight', and one of them is that BOTH sides are entitled to legal counsel, and that legal counsel's ONLY job is to win their case. In the case of a guilty man, it is his right (and I would say responsibility) to obtain the best outcome possible, whether that be fighting for a not guilty verdict or confessing and going after leniancy in sentencing. It's not the guilty man's job (or his lawyer's) to do the work for the police/Crown. He should never be forced to talk if he doesn't want to or he decides it is not in his best interests.

Having said that, truth is a hard thing to hide and the police are very skilled at discovering it. I have full confidance in our police that they can adequately do their job without relying on involuntary discussions with the guilty man.

Northern Ranger said:
At least they can't make us talk.  Imagine that rule, you must answer the questions, or the beatings will continue. :)

Mmm as long as its not recorded ;).

Thats just the next step haha

Mike

Back