• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Non-Effective Strength (NES): Minimum Attendance

D

DnA

can somone please tell me what NES is? and what is the punishment if their is one for it. I heard my Plt Commander say this, that is somone doesnt show up for 5 weeks at the armoury, that they are NES

Non-Effective-Service...I believe without telling anybody you automatically started a preceduer for your release.

NES is non-effective-strength. If you don‘t show up for 5 consecutive parade nights without a leave pass, then you‘re declared NES. You‘ll receive a letter stating your status, and saying that you‘re no longer receiving pay/benefits from the military nor earning time in towards your CD or pension.

Once you return from your NES, you need to get permission from the unit to begin parading again. They can agree and reinstate you, or they can have you discharged. If, after receiving the letter, you still don‘t show up, you‘ll receive a bill from DND for all your kit which you must pay (or just return your kit), and you‘ll be dishonourably discharged from the military, thus preventing you from ever holding a government position. If you don‘t return your kit or pay for it, then it‘ll be assessed on your income taxes and then the feds come after you.

Moral to this story: parade regularly and don‘t disappear for long periods without explanation.

Your CO can also authorize leave up to 3 months. Your brigade commander can authorize leave up to 6 months.

So if you think you need time off, go talk to your chain of command.

So, NES is the Canadian FOrces Equivalent of AWOL?

I would say NES is the reserve version of AWOL. I know some reg force guy‘s that have went AWOL and they got into a whole lot of ****. One guy spent 14 days in Club Ed after 7 days AWOL.

AWOL is a little different than NES. Earlier in my career I went NES, and I regret that immensly. According to my Unit I was NES twice though I debate that. My bank account was actually docked as well! So my suggestions, if you join the Military, stick with it! Yes my CD will be held back maybe a year, big deal, I‘m in this for the long haul anyway.

Not sure what the current terms are for NES now, I‘ve always been lead to beleive if you show up for your 1/2 day a month you will stay of the NES list. Now tell me, what good is a soldier than shows up for one evening a month? Almost completly useless if you ask me, yeah it looks good on paper for nominal role. But I certainly wouldnt want to share a trench with that type of Soldier, if you can consider them that.

...rant over...

I've always been curious how the whole NES thing works. I know that if you don't parade for some given period of time then that makes you NES, but that about all I know.

What are the consequences, if any? Once you start parading again, is it stricten from the record?

If you don't parade without making prior arrangements for 3(?) straight nights you get a phone call, eventually you get a letter telling you you've been assessed NES, that's the last step before you get discharged if you don't return to unit after the letter.

Not something you want to have happen.
NES on your record can have lasting effects on your file and if you're discharged you get a nice blackspot and won't be serving in the military or other government jobs (not sure about the government job part, but definetly the military)

Just best to avoid it all together, it's easy enough to call your unit and tell them you're full-time job/school is going to prevent you from parading for a limited time.
If you're job/school etc. is going to be in the way for a long time you might consider releasing and saving everyone involved the headache or talk to your supervisor and see if there's something else you can do.

Most of this I got from a guy I knew who was assessed NES, he made alternate arrangements with his unit and eventually returned to regular parading.

Don't just phone the unit when unable to parade, fill out the proper Exemption from Drill and Training (ED&T) form.

NES is Non Effective Strength, incidentally - it is a condition, not a type of service.  If you have not paraded and not been excused, you count towards the Non-Effective Strength of the unit.

5 consecutive days, that is full days of missed training and unexcused. If you cant fill out the proper paper work then you really shouldnt be in the Reserves any ways. takes about an hour to fill out and then you will be ED&T for a period of about 3 months upon approval of the CO. The fact that of you go NES it only counts against your unit in a bad way. Plus if you are not showing up to your work then your taking a spot of some one else who can be working and can show up.  It is the only Part time job that will pay you well, and allow be flexible enough to miss a few days and not fire you. All they ask is you be up front with them. If you are NES then get ahold of your unit and start parading or get out.

CTD said:
takes about an hour to fill out and then you will be ED&T for a period of about 3 months upon approval of the CO.

Well, in our neck of the woods it takes less then five minutes to fill out, and there are two forms - one for under 90 days which the CO can approve, one for 90 days or more, which must be approved by Brigade.

A friend and I are trying to settle an argument and I was hoping that one of you could answer.

How part time are the Reserves? 

Is there a required number of sessions you have to attend a month?? and what happens if you want to go travelling and such??

-Vercingetorix

To answer your question, there is no set amount of time (in years) that you must be part of the reserves.  However, you are required to parade one night a week and one weekend a month.  If your unit has more weekend exercises scheduled, add that to the list.

You can miss a few training nights without being thrown out.  To my knowledge, you cannot miss more than five consecutive training sessions in a row without being declared NES (non effective strength).  For example, if you miss a Thursday night training and you have an exercise that weekend and you don't show up to that either, then you have missed a total of four consecutive training sessions.  You would have to show up at the very next scheduled training session or you would become NES.

If anyone out there knows of any changes in the NES policy, please post it.  My info dates to 2000.  Hope this answers your question.

PJ D-Dog

I was told its that or 75% of the time or better
if you cant make that then you shuld quetion why your ther.

AFAIK it's if you miss 3 consecutive parade nights you're NES. (As in 3 consecutive monday nights, or whatever night your unit parades.)

However, keep in mind you're signing up for 1 night a week, and 1 weekend a month. If you can't make that, then reconsider joining.

Through my own curiosity, I found the reference in CFAOs.  Happy reading.

PJ D-Dog

"---RELEASE OF NON-EFFECTIVE MEMBER
5.    A member shall be classed non-effective when absence from training has
exceeded 30 days, during which time no fewer than three parades were
conducted by the unit, unless the member has been exempted from such
training by the commanding officer.
Note -- NCMs may be granted exemption from Class UA" unit training as
follows:
    a.  up to 90 days by unit CO;

b.  from 90-180 days by District Comd;

c.  from 180 to 365 days by Area Comd; and

d.  beyond 365 days by commander of a command. Exemptions beyond 365
          days duration shall only be granted in exceptional and well
          substantiated circumstances.

6.    A member serving on Primary Reserve List (PRL) who does not complete a
cumulative total of 14 days training per year shall be designated
non-effective.

7.    When a member is classified non-effective, the commanding officer
shall communicate immediately with the member:

a.  to determine when or if the member will again become effective;
          or

b.  to grant, only if the member so requests in writing, exemption
          from training if circumstances indicate that such exemption
          should be granted.

8.    If the member does not become effective or is not granted exemption
from training, the commanding officer shall:

a.  initiate recovery action of any public clothing, materiel or
          stores; in accordance with A-LM-181-001/IS-001 and having regard
          to  QR&O 38.03; and

b.  within 60 days after the member has been classified
          non-effective, initiate release proceedings under item 5(f) of
          the table to  QR&O 15.01."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year I en rolled in the Reserve, due to my job I couldn't finish my training. Not only that but I was having second thoughts after awhile about the Army. To put it this way I have never really known my place in the world, and I have always question every choice I have made.   I have since been put on the NSF list. 

Well now I find myself out of work, and really wanting to return to the unit.  For a few reasons I want to finish what I started.  And I believe that well it's the right thing to do. 

What should I do, how do I go about this?  I know I will face some kind of punishment but oh well that's life, I'm ready to face that.  There is no excuse for my past actions and I should have stayed in touch with the unit but didn't.  My girlfriend has told me that if I go back well we may just be through.  But I need a job and I refuse to work at a Burger King. Plus I will have a baby boy soon and want to make sure I can support him.

Could anyone give me some advice?

Thank you

Well, the first thing you need to do is contact your unit.  That's pretty obvious.  From there they will let you know as to what stage of the NES process you are at.  You may have been released NES.  The only way you'll find out is by calling.

Back