• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Non-Issue Kit Question

Pte.Roszell

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

First off this is my first post. My question is it acceptable to purchase non-issue kit? When can i use it? Where is it not acceptable? So far i have been in for roughly two and a half years in primary reserve and have just tiny things that i bought but have seen some things that may make it easier for me to do my job. If it is acceptable where is the best choice to get kit, specifically for med tech variety.

Thank you.

Ah, someone from Regina, next time up in the JR's have a squizz at some of the plaques and framed paintings of British soldiers -(I am sure they are still there) I presented before I left for Australia.

As for unissued kit, I guess it depends on what it is, but its just a giant can of worms, and it all hinges on your RSM and others of importance. IMHO some instances are based on ignorance and jealousy, but also duty of care, if that makes sense.

Here its not really an big deal, but one must have 'issued' ammo/frag pouches and holsters (duty of care), these can be attached to non-issue webbing. Non issue should be AUSCAM DPDU or DPCU.

For boots, well, there are several US types authorised, but must be of private purchase.

Cheers,

OWDU

1.) Are you QL3 qualified? Or awaiting BMQ?

If you aren't trades qualified don't bother buying kit as you won't have the experiance to know what you need an don't. An you most likely won't be allowed non issue kit on course. A camelbak would most likely be the only authorized non issue kit on BMQ/SQ

If you are QL3 qualified get some time in the job, learn the job an find out what issued kit works and doesn't work for you. Ask the other troops in your unit as to what they like, etc

2.) Ask your Section Commander what your unit's rules are on non-authorized kit are. 

Some Canadian Retailers are cpgear.com  dstactical.com and  oneshottactical.com    Lots of info on this website and others as to what gear/companies are good and which ones to avoid.

Figured I would ask this here instead of making a new thread:

1) Is the CP gear Camelback allowed on BMQ/SQ?

2) What hearing protection is issued on BMQ?

3) If excellent hearing protection is not issued are you allowed to purchase higher quality ear protection for BMQ/SQ? Such as the Sonic Defenders? I have minor Tinnitus from all the ear infections I had when I was younger and it sometimes causes me insomnia without "background audio". This is something I don't want getting worse whatsoever especially with it being so common in the combat arms soldiers later in life.

1) It'll be up to the course staff... chances are no.

2) Probably get the disposable bulk ear plugs or plastic ear defenders, they work fine without spending money on your own.

3) See #1, however you might be able to get a chit to use them if you see a MO.

Hull.Down said:
Figured I would ask this here instead of making a new thread:

1) Is the CP gear Camelback allowed on BMQ/SQ?

PuckChaser said:
1) It'll be up to the course staff... chances are no.

Again depends... I have seen at CFB GAGETOWN at least for SQ and up courses hydration packs are allowed as long as you get the cadpat covers for it.

As far as camel backs go, bare this in mind, they aren't standard issue... which means, at least for courses, planning has to be done making the assumption that no one has a camel back, rather, has the standard single 1 Quart canteen... so there will be no need for a camel back...

Example, I remember a few lads on my QL3, thinking they were rather smart, buying camel backs and wearing them for the duration of the field ex... which on the surface, in 40+degrees of a damp kingston summer, seemed smart... except that they were never more then 50 feet from their truck, and there were 3 water jerries aboard said truck, so they were lugging around an extra 2-3Kg for no reason...

Like I said, if you don't know, you don't need it...

a Sig Op said:
...so there will be no need for a camel back...

....Like I said, if you don't know, you don't need it...

I'd disagree with that, IMO having a Camelbak is a good thing to have(aslong as staff allow it). I used mine a lot on my SQ(and unit training, tour, etc) course as the 1QT canteen really isn't a lot of water, and it is ackward to get at while on the move, etc.

Here's my take:

About 30 years ago, a young soldier was listening to some older soldiers complaining about how much water the troops consumed.  This young soldier had done his reading, and discovered the Israeli Army pushed water on the troops, and forced them to drink.
The young soldier informed the older soldiers of this fact  and was promptly told to shut the F**K up, you're a private.

I've sworn since that day not to become one of them, and keep an open mind when new equipment is introduced.

So those of you who say a Camelbak or whatever hydration pack isn't needed.....take note. Also, course staff should have the experience to make that call. We did in 2004 when I showed what a Camelbak can do. ABout a week later, some of the BMQ troops bought them and we allowed them to use them.

Mid Aged Silverback said:
So those of you who say a Camelbak or whatever hydration pack isn't needed.....take note. Also, course staff should have the experience to make that call. We did in 2004 when I showed what a Camelbak can do. ABout a week later, some of the BMQ troops bought them and we allowed them to use them.

Not saying they're not fantastic, I own two myself, a 3L thermo back and a 2L thermo back, but they're not standard issue across the board YET, so, particularly for courses, the course staff HAVE to PLAN assuming the students don't have them... for every SQ I've been involved with, we either had a buffalo or an ML full of jerry cans within easy access of the trench lines... so if he wants to save a couple of bucks, there's no NEED to have one yet...

Just some advice on wasting money in the short term, have seen far too many people (myself included) waste money on kit that doesn't get used in the long run....

Back