• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding here for reference,

Chances of getting a second offer?
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/122972.0.html
"If I were to decline this offer, what would be my chances of getting a second offer down the road?"

Hello ,

I will post this here because I don't really know where to post it elsewhere... I did try to look up the recruiting forums , but maybe I missed something in those ??

I was wondering , I did 2 years in the reserve , got out 3 weeks before I was suppose to become Corporal ( in the reserve ).  When I left I was paid Soldier 2 pay rates.

When I will go back will I still be paid as Soldier 2 pay rates? or I will go back to soldier 1 ? I know I've heard people say that when you earn a certain rank / pay upgrade you can never drop down from that.

Is this true ? I know that most of the time I did in the reserve will not change anything in the regular forces, but I was just wondering as far as pay was concern !

thanks !

krimynal said:
I will post this here because I don't really know where to post it elsewhere... I did try to look up the recruiting forums , but maybe I missed something in those ??
I was wondering , I did 2 years in the reserve , got out 3 weeks before I was suppose to become Corporal ( in the reserve ).  When I left I was paid Soldier 2 pay rates.
When I will go back will I still be paid as Soldier 2 pay rates? or I will go back to soldier 1 ? I know I've heard people say that when you earn a certain rank / pay upgrade you can never drop down from that.
Is this true ? I know that most of the time I did in the reserve will not change anything in the regular forces, but I was just wondering as far as pay was concern !
thanks !

Because you have prior CF Service, they will perform both a VFS and most likely a PLAR in order to validate and or grant you your prior qualifications (ie; BMQ, BMQ-L, DP1/QL3, etc, etc).

The general rule of thumb for this process is:

a.  Released for less than 1 year - all prior service time, prior rank and qualifications are granted;
b.  Released for more than 1 year but less than 3 years - all prior service time, prior rank and then the occupation/general qualifications are subject to a PLAR;
c.  Released for more than 3 years but less than 5 years - all prior service time but prior rank and all qualifications are subject to PLAR.

The above is a "dirty" estimate but is usually what the outcome will be.

Saw these two questions asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding here for reference,

1) Radio silence from my recruiter?
DAA said:
If you have been unable to contact the Recruiting Detachment processing your application, are having issues and need assistance, I suggest you use the email located on their website for just such a thing.

"I need assistance with my application.

If you are having trouble with the application process or are encountering technical difficulties, send us an e-mail (STG-CFRG-CustomerSVC@forces.gc.ca)."

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

2) CFAT/Interview scheduling 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/123034/post-1434977/topicseen.html#new
OP: "Is it reasonable for my to call the Corporal and ask to have my interview/testing scheduled sooner, or should I wait until contacted? I have reason to believe that I am an exceptional candidate..."

"Scheduling for an interview and or further processing is normally based on how well you do on your aptitude test (ie; CFAT) which is the first step in the process.  Other than that, nothing else really matters."

See also,

New interview schedule process 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/123034/post-1434977/topicseen.html#new
OP: "I'm just sick of waiting already!"

Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding for reference,

Application number?
Q: And how can I find my application number?

A: You will only know your application # if they provided it to you (AXXXXXX).  There are several reasons why a Recruiter may not be able to locate your Application Account such as, incorrect spelling of your last name, they're not authorized access to your file, etc, etc.
However, they should be able to locate your application using your DOB, Occupation Choice and First Name or email address that you used on your original online application.

See also, from Ask a CAF Recruiter Sticky,

if you would like to know the status of your application, it is recommended that you do the following:

•  Visit the link to our Forces site, ( http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73 ) and submit a status update request for your application.
•  If you know your application number, include it in the email.
•  If you do not know your application number, ensure you include your first name, last name, date of birth and the postal code of your home address. This will ensure that the recruiter who receives your email can locate your application and provide you with a status update.
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/118929.0.html

See also,

Sergeant Laen said:
To add onto DAA's answer - if you still have any of the emails that were sent to you from CFRG HQ during your process that should have your application number.
If your recruiter is still having issues finding you in the system please send me a PM with your full name and who your recruiter is and I'll reach out to them to assist them in finding you in the system.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Going into my final year of Uni at Queens,I plan on a career with the Forces after doing the NCM route, whens the best time to apply knowing I wont be done school till May? I've heard right about now is a good time seeing how long the selection process is and letting them know I wont be done till May. Is this true? I plan on Infantry. Thanks.

Pegula37 said:
Going into my final year of Uni at Queens,I plan on a career with the Forces after doing the NCM route, whens the best time to apply knowing I wont be done school till May? I've heard right about now is a good time seeing how long the selection process is and letting them know I wont be done till May. Is this true? I plan on Infantry. Thanks.

You can apply for NCM occupations at any time.  Given that you are still in school and pursuing/finishing up post-secondary education, I'd suggest you apply in Oct/Nov timeframe.  If you think you might be interested in trying DEO, then you can apply once you are in the final year of your program.

DAA said:
You can apply for NCM occupations at any time.  Given that you are still in school and pursuing/finishing up post-secondary education, I'd suggest you apply in Oct/Nov timeframe.  If you think you might be interested in trying DEO, then you can apply once you are in the final year of your program.

Thank you very much, thought about DEO but came to the conclusion that NCM was the route I wanted.

Pegula37 said:
Thank you very much, thought about DEO but came to the conclusion that NCM was the route I wanted.

If you haven't yet written the CFAT, then Oct/Nov timeframe would work nicely.  If you have already written the CFAT, then reopen your application for NCM about 4 months prior to your forecasted grad date from University.

Good luck!

I wasn't sure where to ask this and didn't want to create another thread so I'll post my question here.

I applied for ACSO and pilot but only passed for ACSO at air crew selection. I did my initial medical in April but needed additional documents (blood test and vision) to be submitted because ACSO is an aircrew trade. I didn't submit these until early June, at which time they were sent to Ottawa. I emailed a medical officer at my recruiting centre after 2 months to check and see if my medical had returned from Ottawa yet, and he said "The doctor in Ottawa deemed you fit for the military but now you have to be medically approved for ASC. If the air crew thing doesn’t work out, you are still medical fit for non air crew jobs." I then asked him how long that would take and he said "Your medical file will be sent from the RMO in Ottawa back to Toronto (my local recruiting centre). I am unclear about how long it takes. You may want to contact CFRC non medical staff for that information."

However, I then emailed my file manager as instructed by the medical technician to ask about how long the air factor would take and he replied : "Yes your medical has been returned to the recruiting center. Currently your application is with a Military Career Counselor to have your application moved to the selection board, to be selected for a career."

I'm a bit confused by this. The medical technician said that I still have to get my air factor but what my file manager said seems to contradict this. Is it possible that one of them is incorrect or am I  misinterpreting what they are saying?

If your file is with an MCC for final review, then the AF has probably already been assigned.

Your Medical File would have gone from the RMO, to CFEME Toronto (aka DRDC) for assignment of the AF and then back to your local Recruiting Detachment.  So if your Detachment has the Med File, then everything was probably done.

Thanks for answering DAA. So would the merit list be the next step, assuming everything is in order?

I was also wondering if there were an annual Open House à Saint-Jean. It looks like there only one last may and I missed it.

Saturday, May 14th, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Open House at the Saint-Jean Garrison

For the first time, the Saint-Jean Garrison will open its doors to the public! There will be demonstrations such as helicopter rappel; Army, Navy and Air Force vehicles and equipment; obstacle course; and activities such as guided tours of the Mega, including the recruits’ quarters, firing simulator, climbing wall and information stands. There will be food trucks on site and live music by the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School Band.

http://www.journalservir.com/news.php?id=993

If they decide to do an annual thing, I will try to be there next year. My application will be probably in process in May 2017.

I was there yesterday. Check the photo below

Lostly said:
That makes a great early Christmas present. You will do just fine. Congratulations. Now I am wondering what life at CFLRS is like. I hear different things but would love to see if they do an open house for possible new candidates.

Lostly

Attachments

• IMG_3820x.JPG
    IMG_3820x.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 190
BigTuna said:
I was also wondering if there were an annual Open House à Saint-Jean.

Open House at Royal Military College Saint-Jean
Saturday, November 5, 2016, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/fe-fs/vpo-voh/vpo-voh-eng.asp

elsalado said:
Thanks for answering DAA. So would the merit list be the next step, assuming everything is in order?

Provided everything (CFAT, ASC, Medical, Interview and Background Checks) has been completed, approved and signed off, then Merit Listing would be the next step.

Good luck!

Anyone know if MARS positions are filled for the year? Know they did selection like a week ago...

guychiffre said:
Anyone know if MARS positions are filled for the year? Know they did selection like a week ago...

Give your CFRC a call and check in to see what's up.

DAA said:
Give your CFRC a call and check in to see what's up.

I've sent an email and called and got voicemail a couple of times, but I'll continue to do so. Just wondering if anyone had ideas for numbers here.

Either way there's nothing to do but wait :)

Hi There,

I made the aptitude test and I missed 2 points for a logistics officer and the career counselor told me you are accepted for any NCM job and I am thinking to challenge the test because I have many years in leadership and management experience, Also I am 35 yrs old beside I like some of the trades in NCM do you think I did the right thing..please advise

michael81go said:
Hi There,

I made the aptitude test and I missed 2 points for a logistics officer and the career counselor told me you are accepted for any NCM job and I am thinking to challenge the test because I have many years in leadership and management experience, Also I am 35 yrs old beside I like some of the trades in NCM do you think I did the right thing..please advise

It really doesn't matter what "we" think.  It is your life, and your choice.  You have to live with your decision; not any of "us".  If you really want to be an officer, then rewrite the CFAT.  Just remember that they do not take the best of the scores, only the last score.  At the same time, if there is a Trade that you like as an NCM, do not be embarrassed into not applying for it.  If you think that there is a Trade that you will enjoy doing, go for it.  "We" can not make up your mind for you.

Back