• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OLD REGULATION ON RED TUNIC UNIFORM

WLSC

Reaction score
I would like to know were I can find pre-unification dress regulations on the red tunic uniform.

Thank

RED TUNIC?

sounds like a regimental uniform??

Any more description you can give?

Service Publications has reprinted many older sets of dress regs - see http://www.servicepub.com

I don't know that regimental ceremonial dress is covered in them; as Trinity suggests, this may be a regimental thing and most regiments have never worn red tunics. Some Highland regiments adopted a green coatee in lieu sometime in the 1950s, for example. They probably exist in regimental dress regulations as a theoretical full dress uniform, but most regiments have never had the money for them.

The unit is the Fusiliers Mont-Royal.  We still have some old uniformes but we want to make new one.  We are missing details about the accroutrement for ranks

FusMR said:
The unit is the Fusiliers Mont-Royal.  We still have some old uniformes but we want to make new one.  We are missing details about the accroutrement for ranks

Why wouldn't your regimental museum have that information in the archives?

Check with DHH (Directorate of History and Heritage).  They may still have "Sealed Patterns" for those uniforms.  

You should get a copy of Canadian Forces Dress Regulations, A-AD-265-000/AG-001

Look in that book, Chapter 5, Full Dress And Band Full Dress Uniforms

Appendix 2, Annex A, Chapter 5, para 26. Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal.  Fusiliers.  White Facings.

In this Appendix 2, Annex A, you will find diagrams of the uniforms.

Infantry Trousers have a 1/4" scarlet trouser stripe.  The trousers are Dark Blue.

The Scarlet Tunic Facings being White, would mean that the collar, cuffs and shoulder boards would be white.  The trefoil is usually Gold.

I have the Dress Regs at home and I will bring it in tommorow, I also have older Dress Regs and will check out what the FMR wore in the past. I collect pre WW1 uniforms and I have tons of info on them. I will get back to you asap.

As for what the 265 says, it's fine.  The facing, the trefoil, that's ok.  We need the detail differences between, and we know there is, NCO,s and jr NCO's.  We have some old old jr rank and officers uniform plus some old photo but strangly no NCO's uniform.

Ref: the trefoil; it usually gets more elaborate as the rank of the individual increases.  You may have to rely on old photos to get a better idea for each rank, if that is your worry. 

Another source of information may be Parks Canada and their establishments at some of the Forts that are National Historic sites. 

CATALOGUING MILITARY UNIFORMS, by David Ross and Rene Chartrand is a book that may help you with some of your questions.  It is a publication of the New Brunswick Museum.

There wasnt a lot of differences on ORs/NCOs uniforms. Around 1900 RSMs and a few CQMS would have gold braid on their tunics and they would have been a better quality but later on they did not have the gold lace. Officers did have differing quantities of lace/trefoil but in 1902 that was also standerized so that all officers from Lt to Maj would have the same lace. A trefoil was not common on British NCOs uniforms. They were mostly a plain pointed cuff. More tommorow.

Gunplumber said:
There wasnt a lot of differences on ORs/NCOs uniforms. Around 1900 RSMs and a few CQMS would have gold braid on their tunics and they would have been a better quality but later on they did not have the gold lace. Officers did have differing quantities of lace/trefoil but in 1902 that was also standerized so that all officers from Lt to Maj would have the same lace. A trefoil was not common on British NCOs uniforms. They were mostly a plain pointed cuff. More tommorow.

Incidentally, I've sent you a PM. No rush to reply, I just mention it as it is easy to miss the new messages symbol.

Hmmm....
Your Regimental museum should have a copy of the old CAMT dress manual
ALSO
it is most likely that the uniform was based on a British pattern - so you mght find some information with your "alied regiment"
ALSO
with respect to ceremonial scarlets, you should talk to the "ceremonial guard" in Ottawa or the Adjt at the CGG who continue to wear scarlets... considering that the CG has retained "pips & crows" AND added Maple leafs to the NCO ranks, they should be yor best source of information.... and they also have contacts for the tailoring issues you might have.

The Guards wear a different pattern to line infantry so it wont do much good.
Dress regs (A-AD-265-000/AG-001 Annex B para 25) say for the FMR: Fusiliers. White plume white facings; "flechee" officer waist sash.
I can fax these to you, also with the illistrations if you need them.

think we all know about the white facings.
The FMR appear to be looking at having a batch of ceremonial red tunics.  Excluding the facings (which is more of a mes kit issue) the tunics should be similar to the CGGs and tailoring specs should be similar.

Another source is The Royal Regiment of Canada, they still wear the ceremonia; scarlets.

Finally found it!  This is an old website that has been kicking around for awhile, with pictures of the various patterns. I can't speak to its accuracy.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dctiegs/2002/regiment.html

FusMR-tunic

And no details on rank distinctions but never hurts to have another source; I emailed the webmaster a year ago or so and don't think he got back to me. Seems like you have a few leads in any event.

Thank to all

My regimental allied regiment in UK is disband sine 1968, I am in contact with their museum but it's a long process.  As for modern CDN references, I've got them.  Somewere, into time and space, in a forth dimension, my unit kept one of those NCO's uniform...!!!

An other easy question for you.  Except for William Scully, what company built Canadian military metallic buttons ?

Thank again

You might want to try Penny's of Thunder Bay.
http://pennys.ca/
The Owner, Myles Penny has been supplying Regimental Kit Shops and the CF in general for a long time.  His prices are competitive and his network of foreign manufacturers is extensive.... and he usually delivers on schedule - though dealing with small foreign contractors does cause the occasional Quality Control problem.

Back