• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"One VC already, five more in the pipeline"

keaner

Inactive
Reaction score
The title of this post represents the amount of VC's being awarded British troops. It makes me wonder why none have been awarded Canadians. Surely, we have troops who have committed great "acts of valour in the face of the enemy". I am humbled by the acts of individual bravery that I read almost everyday.

Missing is just not the prime VC but also down to the last in the order of precedence - the Medal of Bravery.

Could it be the well-worn excuse of a fear of diminishing the awards if too many are handed out? I doubt it....I'd be more inclined to believe the Government just doesn't like recognizing it's troops - never have and never will. But this doesn't sit well with - what I believe - is a shift in attitude, a conscious effort on the part of PM Harper et al to make up for the past indiscretions of the Liberals and bring the contribution of the soldier back to the forefront of Canadian society.

Any thoughts?

....I'd be more inclined to believe the Government just doesn't like recognizing it's troops - never have and never will. But this doesn't sit well with - what I believe - is a shift in attitude, a conscious effort on the part of PM Harper et al to make up for the past indiscretions of the Liberals and bring the contribution of the soldier back to the forefront of Canadian society.

Since we live in a free and democratic society, you can certainly believe this.  The reality is you don't know what you are talking about. 

Several medals have been nominated for folks on our Roto ( TF 106 ) but I have know idea how long the board that deliberates on them takes. They are of various types, and Im not sure what the highest one being looked at is. You bring up a valid point about 'too many medals' diminshing the reward, but I think it may have more to do with the fact that we havent been in this situation since Korea.

Yes the criteria is all nicely written down, but how does one translate that into actions an a battlefield? Or atleast the modern battlefield. Who are the people that sit on the board, what is their experience? Are they qualified to say Pte So and So deserves/does not deserve award XYZ for storming the RPG gunner?

This last bit Im actually curious about, does anyone know these details. Will attempt to look them up myself, but if anyone here knows, post away.

I am 100% sure that medals of bravery or as we speak being researched and cross researched. The higher the medal the more time it takes to get the recipient to be confirmed and awarded medal.

+10 to Gunner.

There's talk of VCs for the UK Paras in Helmand, particularly in recognition of actions defending isolated outposts, but it's just that: talk and rumour.  It takes an incredible act of individual bravery to win a VC, something that hardly happens every day.  We awarded 16 in all of the Second World War, for instance...

Finally, there are a series of valour awards - introduced several years ago - that apply to operations in the face of the enemy; the Medal of Bravery isn't one of them.  See here:  http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/home_e.asp?cat=3

I mean this in the nicest possible way but i'd suggest that you look at a few of the citations on awarded VC's and in what shape the recipiant was when it was awarded. The VC awarded to Biharry (I've no idea how to spell the mans name) was the first awarded since the two postumous VC's in the Falklands and he, i feel, is a very special human being, to do what he did, twice and survive with all his injuries? That definately doesnt happen every day.
The VC isnt something you can simply expect to be awarded and when it is it usually means one of ours has died to get it. Dont blame the government, i'm sure with all the negative press they'r getting they'd love to throw out some medals and honour the boys over there, its just that for it to be awarded takes a hell of a lot and its nothing like the computer games where you get one for killing 10 bad guys.

My amb partner from Croatia was nominated for an award in 94 - I just found out this year he finally got a Mentioned in Dispatches about 4 years after the fact for running out into a minefield to help rescue three people.  The investigations on these things take an awful long time and are very often kept under wraps until they've been ratified.  A VC isn't something that's handed out everyday - there are very set circumstances that have to fall into place in order for those investigations to continue or be knocked down a level or two to an award that is more suitable or vice versa.  

We'll hear about them when the time is right I'm sure.

MM

Maybe the reference to the VC was too specific. I haven't seen/read of any medal being awarded.

The Medal of Bravery is a Canadian military valour decoration  - part of the Modern Honours of Canada created in 93 - the same time we got the Canadian VC.

Since we live in a free and democratic society, you can certainly believe this.  The reality is you don't know what you are talking about.

Whatever...regale me with your omniscience.

The Medal of Bravery is a Canadian military valour decoration  - part of the Modern Honours of Canada created in 93 - the same time we got the Canadian VC.

Check the official information posted on the links as to where the Medal of Bravery, Star of Courage and Cross of Valour fall in the system.  They're not military valour decorations.  The military valour decorations are the Medal of Military Valour (MMV), Star of Military Valour (SMV) and the Victoria Cross (VC).  None of the military valour decorations have been awarded - yet.

The pam I posted clearly indicates the criteria for each type of award.

Check the official information posted on the links as to where the Medal of Bravery, Star of Courage and Cross of Valour fall in the system.  They're not military valour decorations

I stand corrected. The Medal of Bravery is a 'Decoration for Bravery' part of the trio that also includes the Cross of Valour and the Star of Courage.

Back