• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario cpl net pay

meni0n

Reaction score
Good day,

Can a Cpl 0 or 1 from Ontario please post or PM me their take home net pay. I'm getting posted from a PLD area in Quebec to Kingston and would like plan my budget accordingly. Thanks in advance

Believe it or not!
PLD in Kingston is a whopping $16.00
Don't spend it all in one place downtown.
I'm a CPL4 with some years on that, I make about 54k.
Check your pay statement for net pay, add $16.
Hope that helps.
I know that it's cheaper to live in Ontario than Quebec! Or other points east.
:2c:

Actually PLD in Kingston is now 0.00 as of Mar 08.  BYT Driver, I am assuming you have been there awhile so you will still get it for a bit longer.  Anyone newly posted to Kingston won't get it.  Same thing is happening here in Borden.  My 80 some odd a month will soon be 0.

BYT Driver said:
Check your pay statement for net pay, add $16.

I suspect the basis of the original poster's question is to determine the differences in taxes, which would make the net pay somewhat different between the provinces.

Oh well, the treasury giveth and the government taketh away.
Not that I needed or even noticed the $16 when I was there...didn't even pay for a 12 of beer.  :cheers:
I actually left there in Jan '06, we were only there for nine months.  I've heard that Boredon is expensive?  Was almost posted there too.  Should've taken the posting there instead of the VOT to POET and Kingston.  (we need a sour grapes smilie)
;)

Michael is correct, since taxes in Quebec are higher than in Ontario, I'm trying to determine if my take monthly home pay would be somewhat similar.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/bsnss/pdoc-eng.html

Payroll deduction calculator for Canada Revenue Agency.

Enter your gross montly pay, click all the other options as appropriate and it will tell you your net pay.  Obviously, pension and so on won't be there, but just look at your current pay stub - those shouldn't change.  The only thing that should change is your tax rate, and your PLD.

That's better than getting some guy to PM you his net pay.  This way you can see the numbers yourself.

Thanks for the link. I just tried it but it's not too accurate. I tried to see if it will show the amounts I am paying now but it's off by a quiet a bit.

I just fiddled with it a bit and got some accurate numbers.  I haven't tried with the download that you have to do to get the Quebec taxes, but I got accurate numbers (to a few pennies) based on my Ontario pay.

It takes a few steps, but here's some hints.

Use a mid month pay statement for comparison.  We are technically paid montly, and they give us an advance on the 15th.  The calculations are all based on 12 pays per year, which is shown on a mid month pay.

Use an early year pay.  Most of us max out on our CPP/EI contributions at some point in the year.  Using the CRA calculator, you can account for the fact that you may have maxed out on those contributions, but it gets more complicated.  Use a pay from early in the year for the comparison to make it easier.

Enter your gross montly pay then run the calculation and that should give you the right numbers for EI and CPP.  Ignore the tax numbers at this point - they're wrong.

Now go back and look at your pay statement.  Subtract your superannuation amount from your gross pay.  Go back on the CRA calculator and enter that number as your gross pay.  Reason - we don't pay tax on our pension contributions.  Also, if PLD is applicable, enter it now in the "non cash, non insurable" box (PLD is taxable).  Run the calculator and that should give you a pretty accurate number for the taxes that will be paid.

Now you have your EI, CPP and taxes.  Comparing those numbers to your current pay statement should give you a pretty good estimate.  At least it did for mine with what I did above.

Good luck!

Thanks I'll try it now. Which claim code are you using for tax deduction?

I used claim code 1 for both provincial and federal.  You would use the others if you have other deductions that the military is taking into account when they calculate your taxes.  Something like you're claiming the spousal amount or the equivalent to spouse amount.  What those do is raise your basic deduction.  For me, I only have the basic deduction, hence claim code 1.  If you've filled out a form (a TD1) with the pay folks to raise your basic deduction, that would come in here.  If you've filled out a TD1, maybe you have a copy, or remember the amount?  Most people (from my experience) don't fill out the TD1, and prefer to get a fat refund in the spring, rather than have less tax taken throughout the year.

Thanks for the help. Looks like the net pay would be almost identical.

Back