• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opinions Please

9nr Domestic

Inactive
Reaction score
Do you think there are any unique factors when dealing with a patient that is a member of the military? If so what are those factors?

Hmmmm, that's an interesting question.

Unique?  As a rule?  no.  Are there certain traits that military members tend to share? yes.

What exactly are you looking for on this?  You've posted in the CFHS forum, so you're looking for medical opinion, but it's a little vague.

They tend to have a higher then normal level of cardiovascular fitness.  This does not seem to confer an immunity to cardiovascular disease in the long term.

They tend to have interesting medical histories, with a high number of mild-moderate msk injuries, but are "poor historians" and will gloss over large details.  They tend to be free of chronic diseases, they have unique psychological support systems, they have high expectations for their recovery.  Many have risk factors associated with PTSD and CIS. They tend to be action-oriented, and are looking for a fix Right Now! 

They are probably poorly compliant with medical limitations and physiotherapy instructions, but there are exceptions.  Many avoid medications, or don't comply with instructions. Many will not willingly seek treatment.  Many with chronic injuries or disorders poorly understand them.

Some are there to avoid difficult and/or dangerous duties.  Many will take exception to being labelled "unfit."  Some will deny (or invent) the presence of symptoms or minimize their impact to achieve a desired end state.

Anything more specific you're looking for?

DF

9R Domestic said:
Do you think there are any unique factors when dealing with a patient that is a member of the military? If so what are those factors?

No, cause I too am a member of the military, so being trained and "thinking" like most of my patient population, I don't see anything unique...now if you ask as civilian practioner that question you may get a different answer.

In addition to what was said above,
Illnesses are pretty much the same as per civ pop, but injuries tend to be largely sport injury related...after all, combat is the ultimate contact sport.

As a junior NCM I have found that Rank is one of the most obvious unique factors.  Providing treatment or preforming a procedure as a Private a patient or new clinic supervisor often questions your experience, the next day your a Corporal and theres no questions asked. 
Another unique factor,  How many civilians would go to there local emergency department or walk in clinic during there working day complaining of foot pain for 10 years or a  cough starting the night before?

Adam, you might be surprised.

"Your back has been bugging you for 3 months?  And today at 3 am is the time you've decided it needs to get looked at? By calling 911?  What's different about today?  Nothing, eh?  Get in the car."

That being said, I know how you feel.

DF

Back