• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Overseas ruck weight.

Cote

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All!

I did some searches before posting this, as I thought it would be a bit general but alas I didn't find anything!!!

So I'm doing ruck marches, basically doing the BFT with about 80lbs in my ruck, I can do it fine.

But I'm wondering what kind of weight would normally be packed in my ruck on operation in Afganistan so I can properly train for that...

Also side question, Our rucks since they have no hip support are they detremental to the back, will it ruin it over time?

Consider what your mission is going to be overseas.........are you mounted or dismounted??? If you are dismounted and going to be out and about for a couple of days or more, you will need to carry: lots of ammo, lots of water because the odds of being resupped as slim to none, rations. I would say 80lbs is close but remember the altitude change is like getting constantly punched in the solar plexus......it sucks.

As for the distribution of the weight........I have a leg ruck and I ruck heavy all the time.......use the waist belt, it transfers alot of the weight to your hips...........another tip......once the ruck is on and comfortable........don't ever, not even for a second, adjust your straps...........once you do it once, you are f##ked.

My 2 cents

2023 said:
Consider what your mission is going to be overseas.........are you mounted or dismounted??? If you are dismounted and going to be out and about for a couple of days or more, you will need to carry: lots of ammo, lots of water because the odds of being resupped as slim to none, rations. I would say 80lbs is close but remember the altitude change is like getting constantly punched in the solar plexus......it sucks.

As for the distribution of the weight........I have a leg ruck and I ruck heavy all the time.......use the waist belt, it transfers alot of the weight to your hips...........another tip......once the ruck is on and comfortable........don't ever, not even for a second, adjust your straps...........once you do it once, you are f##ked.

My 2 cents

Someone promote that man
that last paragraph has to be beaten into new troops and some old

Try it, you will see what I mean. Once it is comfy, don't adjust them to move them over the slightest bit. Let the wieght of the straps dig in......it will be much worse if you keep readjusting.

Better yet - DON'T try it.  Just listen to the wise Warrant's advice. 18 years + 6 tours = knowledge & experience.  He's right on the money with his comments, and if you listen to him, you'll be able to march further and longer.  Once you've adjusted those straps after walking 5 or 6 K, the explosion of pain in your back will be great, and you'll have a hard time carrying on.  Leave the straps as they are at the start of the march, and you'll be able to switch your mind off to the fact you have 80 pounds on your back and march forever.

PS -  good socks, good boots, good insoles and a decent boot lacing technique will also alleviate much pain as well.

WRT the insoles comment, I have never been able to wear insoles in my boots. I guess the leather on leather feel works best for me. Rarely do I blister up either............lost quite a few toe nails before, but don't get blisters much at all.

Chimo

I'm curious to the weight/distance/terrain you train on Warrant as I've been doing the similiar things to the BFT moving into a job here and there throughout the distance...Still in highschool at 17 with 3 courses so I am interested to your rucks/advice

2023 said:
WRT the insoles comment, I have never been able to wear insoles in my boots. I guess the leather on leather feel works best for me. Rarely do I blister up either............lost quite a few toe nails before, but don't get blisters much at all.

Chimo

As a long distance runner, I can only say that toenails are overrated anyway! ;)

I don't do anything special to train actually. For this years BFT, which I did this morning, I did a bit of PT a couple of weeks ago .LOL. Just kidding, I try to do PT once a day and it varies from cardio to weights. Rucking is boring for me unless I shuffle so I will pick up the ruck only so often. I think I did 2 marches this month so far. Did a 7km ruck run Monday morning and did the BFT with my course this morning. As a course the time was 1hr 55 minutes which wasn't difficult for anyone.

It is just what suits you I guess. Hill training is good and will build up endurance and recovery time during a march which is very important.

My 2 Cents

I'm curious to the weight/distance/terrain you train on Warrant as I've been doing the similiar things to the BFT moving into a job here and there throughout the distance...Still in highschool at 17 with 3 courses so I am interested to your rucks/advice

Start working on a handlebar moustache and take up chewing tobacco.

Hah!  Haven't takin much of a liking to Chew...Captain Blacks and Colts get me through the day?

And I'm part German so the Hell with growing a handle bar Stache  :warstory:

Cote said:
Hi All!

I did some searches before posting this, as I thought it would be a bit general but alas I didn't find anything!!!

So I'm doing ruck marches, basically doing the BFT with about 80lbs in my ruck, I can do it fine.

But I'm wondering what kind of weight would normally be packed in my ruck on operation in Afganistan so I can properly train for that...

Also side question, Our rucks since they have no hip support are they detremental to the back, will it ruin it over time?

I know in 02 it was insane.  I was an 84 gunner and carried 2 rounds the tube, pers weapon, 12 mags, 2 nades belt of C6 etc.....That doesn't include 12 Litres of water.  Lets just say a lot of us needed 1 or 2 hands to help get up.  I'm sure it is much different now but man o man, I actually blew the thick shoulder strap once.  My knees are aching just thinking about it.

Hey Cote what are you going to be doing? Are you with 1RCR BG, are you a wog, or DnS? If you are combat arms, then mission will dictate. In 2002 I was a C9 gunner, so I had 10 boxes in my ruck, 2 M72's, 2 claymores, etc...you get the picture, plus the hotter it got, the more water we carried. If your a wog (I'm not trying to insult anyone) there's a pretty good chance you won't need a ruck. And if your a reservist in dns, bring a good book, because your on gate (I'm sorry, you wanna play part time, then shit jobs for you). But like buddy said, listen to your WO and senior troop (unless their right out to lunch) they'll probably know best, good luck!

Hmm donuts! said:
If your a wog (I'm not trying to insult anyone)

Then please don't use insulting terms. It's unprofessional.

Hmm donuts! said:
And if your a reservist in dns, bring a good book, because your on gate (I'm sorry, you wanna play part time, then crap jobs for you).

There are more than anough threads on this site where people tried to illuminate their perception of the Reg/Res quality split - and most end up being wasted electrons. Please don't go down that road.  Assignments are based on the position you fill.  Sourcing is a different issue.  Good and poor soldiers come from all units.

As a little sidenote to this I created a chest strap for my ruck with a clip so I can undo it quickly if needed.  I did this because I found my biggest issue many times was the shoulder straps digging in and causing all kinds of issues (yeah, I adjusted constantly and it ended up causing more issues).  Has anyone else done this?  Trying to get feedback to see if it's worked for others as well.

Canadian.Trucker said:
As a little sidenote to this I created a chest strap for my ruck with a clip so I can undo it quickly if needed. 
Like a sternum strap?

Imbeault said:
Like a sternum strap?
Guess you could call it that.  I rigged it up so that I could keep the chest straps from moving outwards and pushing my shoulders back and to stop them from digging in.  I've found it's worked rather well.

Back