• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pack at top of '64 frame?

DirtyDog

Inactive
Reaction score
Recently I was scrambling to come up for a load carriage solution for an upcoming dismounted ex.  I did not want to wear my issue CTS ruck (suprise) but I didn't want to use either of my jump rucks as I've never liked having the valise up top with the pack below.  It's a pain in the ass as far as loading mission essential kit (radio, ammo, etc), it usually means the weight of those things is carried low as compared to the relatively light valise, and I don't like the sloppy design of the actual bag I have.  My solution, which I was a little skeptical to take unproven on ex, was to attach my CTS small pack to the top of the ruck with various attached pouches, and use my CP Gear valise below.  Coupled with a jerry rigged MEC waistbelt it worked out wonderfully.  I had all the capacity I needed and carried extremely comfortably with PPE.  It was a little difficult to decipher some of the various A7A straps and what not at night and it was a little sloppy with the small pack shoulder straps and various fluff taking up extra weight and adding complexities.

So I'm looking for something similar that will attach to the top of the jump ruck frame without much fuss and will be reliable.  I was really happy with the configuration and hope to come up with something I'd be willing to take on tour.  I want to avoid the CTS ruck as much as possible but on the other hand I don't feel like spending $700 on a (untrialed by me) Kifaru.

Any Suggestions?

On a side note our Coy will be filling out UCRs for the CTS ruck this week.

Easiest thing to attach to the top would probably be one of the P82 bags, same as it always was, with paracord or zapstraps. The rest of the ruck is just whatever you want to use. I did this for a buddy of mine with the CPGear pads when we got the new rucks and he's been using it since.

Lerch said:
Easiest thing to attach to the top would probably be one of the P82 bags, same as it always was, with paracord or zapstraps. The rest of the ruck is just whatever you want to use. I did this for a buddy of mine with the CPGear pads when we got the new rucks and he's been using it since.
Yeah, I had an '82 on the jump frame when the '82 was issued to me.  Worked out pretty well and helped to stay under the radar when I was actually worried that.

I turned in the 82 pack for the CTS ruck and don't really want to go out of my way to find one.  I was hoping for a nicer solution with preferably MOLLE on the outside and some other nice features.

How about one of these? Rucksack, SAS, human mule for the use of...

DirtyDog said:
I turned in the 82 pack for the CTS ruck and don't really want to go out of my way to find one.  I was hoping for a nicer solution with preferably MOLLE on the outside and some other nice features.

CPGear has a '64 bag with MOLLE on the outside that you can mount high on the frame.

Lerch said:
CPGear has a '64 bag with MOLLE on the outside that you can mount high on the frame.

That'd be our Gen III '64 bag which is available either with MOLLE/PALS webbing, or with 3 fixed pockets on the exterior.
http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/packs_bags_cases/5044.htm

Sweet thanks... I've been considering some CP Gear 64 components for some time now.  I guess I missed that the pack can be mounted high.  Is it relatively painless?  I'm sick of jerry rigging stuff together....

Coupled with some OTW shirts and some other things, I'll have a substantial order coming your way soon Matt.

PS -Any chance of the Gen III ruck components being available in AR anytime soon?

DirtyDog said:
PS -Any chance of the Gen III ruck components being available in AR anytime soon?

Just gonna mention, IMO, buying a ruck or components in AR would just be an unnescessary drain of your money. You get issued an AR Ruck cover.

DirtyDog said:
Sweet thanks... I've been considering some CP Gear 64 components for some time now.  I guess I missed that the pack can be mounted high.  Is it relatively painless?  I'm sick of jerry rigging stuff together...

The new bags were designed so that they could be easily mounted high or low, so that members of units still using the P82 could use this without looking 'too' out of place.

Couldn't you just use an Alice pack? I thought the frames of the Alice/Malice and 64 pat. were interchangable?

toughenough said:
Couldn't you just use an Alice pack? I thought the frames of the Alice/Malice and 64 pat. were interchangable?

The older '64 pattern bags can be jury rigged to an ALICE frame, but they weren't specifically built to work on that frame, as they were designed before ALICE was.  The crossbar on the ALICE frame and '64 pattern frame are at different heights, which is the biggest obstacle to fitting a '64 on an ALICE frame.

With that said, the CPGear Gen III bags were also designed work on the ALICE frame; Supplies of '64 ruck frames are getting pretty scarce now.  If you can get your hands on one, I suggest you do so, because in 5 years time they'll be all but disappeared from most surplus shops.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Just gonna mention, IMO, buying a ruck or components in AR would just be an unnescessary drain of your money. You get issued an AR Ruck cover.
I know what your saying, but I figured since I was buying it primarily for theatre I might as well go AR.

And as of right now, at least at the company level, we can wear whatever we want on our back as long as it isn't neon pink.

Back