• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay Deductions [Merged]

govenor_mac

Inactive
Reaction score
Could someone out there please give me a breakdown of payroll deductions for a recruit in training. I am curious to hear how much it is per pay for rations, lodgings etc. I am aware that a 'pay stub' is not given out to each individual with their bi-weekly pay. Why is that?

pay statements are accessible through the DIN...
given that most pay statements look just like the previous ones.... there isn't a need to hunt ya down to give you a copy of what you already know.

Hey there govenor.....I'm not too sure on how much the rations and quarters were every pay...I didn't have to pay any of that, but I know the reason for no pay stubs is basically to save money and to save trees.  There is a 1-800 number you can call and you set it up so that your pay stub can be sent to an email account of your choice, where you can print it off for your records.  Also if you have access to a dnd computer you can check it out there.
  Cheers
Steve :cdn:

To answer you question CallOfDuty , yes the primary means of secure acess to your pay statment is through the DIN. After reading your query at home, I performed a quick Google and found this FAQ from Maple Leaf, which answers your question on how to get your pay statement sent to your email addy.

I just got my package for BMQ in the mail yesterday, and in it was a sheet of paper explaining pay and allowances for a private basic.  I'll type them out here for you, just for your own reference.

Single: 

Pay rate:  2421.00
Supplemental death benefits: 5.85
Employment Insurance: 47.21
CF Pension and CPP: 203.44
SISSIP/LTD: 5.07
Income Taxes: 415.51
Sales tax: 0.53
Single quarters: 74.00
Rations: 365.61

Total deductions: 1117.22

Net take home pay:  1303.78

Married:

Single quarters: N/A
Rations: N/A

Total deductions: 677.61

Net take home pay:  2088.39

Hope that helps!

Sparkplugs said:
I just got my package for BMQ in the mail yesterday, and in it was a sheet of paper explaining pay and allowances for a private basic.  I'll type them out here for you, just for your own reference.

Single: 

Single quarters: 74.00
Rations: 365.61

Total deductions: 1117.22

Net take home pay:  1303.78

Married:

Single quarters: N/A
Rations: N/A

Total deductions: 677.61

Net take home pay:  2088.39

Hope that helps!

For married it is 2421 - 677.61 = 1743.39 not 2088.39

kincanucks said:
For married it is 2421 - 677.61 = 1743.39 not 2088.39

Whoops.  I didn't actually do the math, just copied it off of the notice I got...  Thanks for catching that!!

Although not a deduction, there is no mention of separation allowance in the schedule above.  Maybe that is the difference between $2,088.39 and $1,743.39 ($345.00).

acclenticularis said:
Although not a deduction, there is no mention of separation allowance in the schedule above.  Maybe that is the difference between $2,088.39 and $1,743.39 ($345.00).

D'oh, I missed that.

Sure enough, Separation expense, 11.50 per day, for 345.00 a month, hence 2088.39 a month take home pay.

Now I feel really silly.

There must be more deductions than that as the take home pay is around $600.00 +. Is the board $74.00 weekly?

I was told that the take home pay was about 650$ every two weeks... So that would make the monthly take home pay about 1300 bucks a month, hence the original reply.

Thanks for posting that info, Sparkplugs.
I have been looking for the specific deductions and such. 

Springroll said:
Thanks for posting that info, Sparkplugs.
I have been looking for the specific deductions and such. 

No problems, I know I was curious about it earlier too. 

Just for clarification, do these deducations start right from BMQ? or does it start after you've finished your MOC and you get posted?

Does the cost of quarters depend on where you're posted? I have asked about MQ as I am engaged and was slightly worried where my husband would be living while I'm posted.

What is amusing to me is that the Recruiter I spoke with neglected to mention all those deductions when I asked about expenses and deductions, and I was most definitely not given a net pay of (approx) 1300 monthly.

Thank goodness for this forum... makes me want to make sure I know exactly what is going on before I finish my application.

737? said:
Just for clarification, do these deducations start right from BMQ? or does it start after you've finished your MOC and you get posted?

Starts on the first day of BMQ...

have you ever had a job that deducted EI and taxes only after a year of working there ?

Would being common law also give you the married take home rate of $2088.39?

Strategic said:
Would being common law also give you the married take home rate of $2088.39?

It would all depend on how you have your pay set up.  If you want to be paid as 'married', you set that up with your Pay Clerk.  If you want to be paid as 'single'; the same thing.  I got paid as 'married' for the first year that I was and didn't really notice any change, until Tax Time.  Then I had to pay.  I went right back into my Pay Clerk and changed it back to being paid as 'Single', and got Tax Refunds every year since.  Your decision.

. " I got paid as 'married' for the first year that I was and didn't really notice any change, until Tax Time.  "

Can you explain what you meant by didn't really notice any change?

What my concerns are is that while I am away at training I will still have pay my rent and bills etc for my spouse so a bi monthly take home of $1044 (married rate) will go a lot farther for me then a take home of $650 (single rate).

Another question I have is does the food and housing deductions stop after basic and battle school or are they a continuous deduction?

It would all depend on how you have your pay set up.  If you want to be paid as 'married', you set that up with your Pay Clerk.  If you want to be paid as 'single'; the same thing.  I got paid as 'married' for the first year that I was and didn't really notice any change, until Tax Time.  Then I had to pay.  I went right back into my Pay Clerk and changed it back to being paid as 'Single', and got Tax Refunds every year since.

I don't understand that one.  How can being paid single versus married affect your taxes due?  Unless you mean that the pay clerk deducts more taxes if you say you are single than if you are paid as married.  Regardless of whether you are married or single (depending on spousal income of course), we all have the same amount of taxes that need to be paid, dependent on income.  Or is this something to do with the separation allowance and not paying rations/quarters while on course because you are married.  As a former tax accountant, I really can't wrap my head around this one.

Back