• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

personal cooking\Brew kits-Whats everyone using?

gun plumber

Inactive
Reaction score
What's everyone using for a personal set up?
I'm currently using a MSR wisperlite international with the 1L fuel bottle, a 1L pot, lid\fry pan, MSR titan spoon and a 5 cup coffee perk.All of this including the spare parts kit can fit in the 7.5L pouch that came with the small pack(except the fuel bottle). Any suggestions on shrinking this down? What does every one carry for individual grub?

esbit stove and a canteen cup. Both issued, cost nothing, stove fits in a pocket...where's the bad?

personal brew kits?

- 3 Large ziploc bags
- $60 in beef jerkey

more than enuf to get u thru a weekend ex ;D

i know how to use the issue brew devices and eat the IMPs, thats enuf. ill suck it up on tour, but on weekend exes, ill enjoy my beef jerkey :warstory:

Does anyone have any experience with the JETBOIL cooking system? It appears to be a 1 L insulated cup that attaches right on top of the stove and fuel container. It's supposed to be extremely efficient and fast for boiling water. One of the key features I like is that the entire system fits into the 1 L insulated cup. So far I haven't found anywhere that sells them in Canada.

One of the best stoves yet is

a:) a pinch of C4
   b:) open...understand ??....opened C-rat can
   c:) light carefully
   d:) eat in 2 minutes

I've been using the Coleman Exponent Multi-fuel single burner stove for some time without problem. Pros include easy lighting even in the cold, very adjustable flame, can use a variety of fuels, burns hot, fairly rugged design, fits in a nice square aluminum Coleman case/pot, some parts can be accessed in QM as aresame as Coleman lantern parts, built in wind screen. Cons include a bit heavier and larger then (ie) MSR type stoves although this is because it has a built in fuel tank, have to carry extra fuel bottle if out in field for an extended period (built in tank will last about 2-3 days if fuel is used conservatively). The easy setup and lighting are a big plus especially for soldiers in the field who don't have time to mess with priming or poor cold weather performance of a stove, great to have hot boiling H20 real quick!

Brit stove, canteen cup and heat tabs! The added benefit of heat tabs is they can be used to help dry you out under your ponch liner!(Just try not to breathe in the fumes!)

I saw a Jet Boilish system back in December, is was sent up by a Marine Major that is part of their requirments section, looked really nice, couldn't figure out what it was at first, but when the light shone, what a neat little idea.

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cooking-Systems/Personal-(PCS)

Looked like this, but was more of a lexan plastic looking thermal pot.

With our dollar doing so well, most of your purchases are much cheaper now,

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=232

These guys even give a Canadian contact number, and free shipping

noneck said:
Does anyone have any experience with the JETBOIL cooking system? It appears to be a 1 L insulated cup that attaches right on top of the stove and fuel container. It's supposed to be extremely efficient and fast for boiling water. One of the key features I like is that the entire system fits into the 1 L insulated cup. So far I haven't found anywhere that sells them in Canada.

noneck,

I got your PM and responded with my email address - shoot me a line.  I thnk the Jetboil is the BOMB.  I used it exclusively for all cooking and hygiene requirements for the 8 days of Stalwart Guardian 05 and a number of exercises and personal bushwacking activities since...

blake

Hallo
This is me first post i this forum.

I have used a Jetboil for 1 year... its the best...the only place it not works...is suprise, suprise on Greenland..in winther time.

The only problem is resupply af gas..but I manget to get the supply ind Irak end "Stan" from PX or at lokal shops

Best regard

Højland

Welcome Hojland,

I had this past Christmas dinner with the Danish contingent at Camp Warehouse in Kabul. When were you in Afghanistan?

I love my MSR pocket rocket, but good luck getting fuel in the sandbox:
pocketrocket.jpg

2 Cdo said:
Brit stove, canteen cup and heat tabs! The added benefit of heat tabs is they can be used to help dry you out under your ponch liner!(Just try not to breathe in the fumes!)

+1, works great.

I find brew kits to be too time consuming,and take up too much space. I carry a couple of MRE heaters,a 500ml Nalgene bottle and biola instant hot coffe when needed. Place coffee fixings and water in the Nalgene,put bottle in Mre heater,add water to heater (it doesn't even have to be potable)  in 5 mins hot coffee,plus the same heater will also heat your rations.
I've sold off  or traded away my MSR stoves as unpractical..besides who wants to carry a bottle of naptha/gas with them when it's not needed. The Mre heaters are not affected by wind,altitude,or temp as an added bonus.

You are a GENIUS!!!  Another one for the toolbox...

FWIW - genius is just common sense practically applied (don't get a big head...) ;D

blake

I use an MSR whisperlite international stove, snowpeak Titanium spork, and issued canteen cup. I also carry a small pack of fuel tabs in my pack just in case.

the MSR cooked a sectoin minus worth of food fast, and can use gas, diesel, kerosene, naptha, avgas, jet fuel, and could probably burn horse urine if you had too.

I completely agree with MG. I used to carry an MSR stove on most res weekend ex's however it is completly impractical. Resup of fuel is an issue, adverse weather conditions are an issue, and most importantly the weight and space needed to pack in comparison to how much it was actually used has led me to sell it off and just carry either heat tabs or mre heaters. While nice for civi camping not overly practical in a military context in my opinion

I use a kettle, but I have a truck to carry it in and AC power. It is one of those ones that opens up so it can fit stuff inside. It heats up my IMP's (I love the newer ones) and makes tea or coffee in minutes. Mighty usefull when I don't want to pause the movie I am watching! :p

MG34 said:
I find brew kits to be too time consuming,and take up too much space. I carry a couple of MRE heaters,a 500ml Nalgene bottle and biola instant hot coffe when needed. Place coffee fixings and water in the Nalgene,put bottle in Mre heater,add water to heater (it doesn't even have to be potable)  in 5 mins hot coffee,plus the same heater will also heat your rations.
I've sold off  or traded away my MSR stoves as unpractical..besides who wants to carry a bottle of naptha/gas with them when it's not needed. The Mre heaters are not affected by wind,altitude,or temp as an added bonus.

I stand in awe.

Back