• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pharmacy Officer

JimMorrison19

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just looking into the occupation and thought it might be interesting to do, but I can't find much information that isn't tied in with MOs and medics. Anyone have any experience as one?

It's a very small trade.  Per the Occupational Specification, "PHARM Officers must have been granted a Baccalaureate of pharmacy from a Canadian accredited university.  They must have completed their provincial pharmacy licensing body requirements, have a current provincial patient care license to practice pharmacy and have successfully completed the Pharmaceutical Examining Board of Canada exam".  Not sure whether ROTP offers Pharmacy as an option or not.

I've worked for military pharmacists as a tech - lots of paperwork, especially if you're a stand alone.  Lots of having to deal with ever changing military and civilian medical supply systems - you approve orders for supplies and equipment, manage equipment forecasts and wishlists,  are responsible for medical supply accounts for your unit as well as lodger ones, pay bills and somewhere in there have to do patient care/counselling and ensure shelves are stocked as well (which is why there are techs).  There are also other duties and staff positions that you could or have to fill, such as equipment acquisition, teaching, developing scopes of practice for med techs, PA's, nurses, etc.  I can't say for certain if ROTP scholarships are available, however if you're already a serving member/officer, there is a sponsorship plan available for qualified personnel to go to pharmacy school on the Crown's tab.

Hope that helps - if you have more questions, PM me and I'll see if I can answer them for you.

Cheers.

MM

geo said:
The CF does not maintain any hospitals in Canada.  NDMC in Ottawa & base hospitals (eg: Valcartier) are no longer accredited as "hospitals".... more like clinics.  Not much of a need for pharmacists if you ask me

About that - each of those clinics have a pharmacy and therefore need pharamacists and techs to run them properly.  The pharmacist's role isn't just doling out pills - they are an integral part of the CF Medical Supply System.  As much as I hate bean counters, they're a necessary evil.

MM

Surprising that the PharmO trade is on the list of trades to receive a recruiting bonus, but what I heard from my last BSurg is that they need to bring their pay up to be on a par (or better) than their civilian counterparts.

I'd have to agree, seeing as they have to spend somewhat longer in school than some other occupations.

MM

Thanks for the replies - according to the reading I've done there is ROTP available for a pharmacy degree, just not for the RMC - I'd probably end up at Dalhousie or Memorial for it. I was wondering about it because it's looking like I don't actually qualify with my vision for infantry or engineering, but after looking over my other options and hoping I am still a V4 with vision, I'm not all that concerned about joining for all of the macho image and would enjoy being a pharmacist as that's right up my alley. I also see according to the CF website that it's an occupation in high-demand... and I'd like to help fill the demand if I can ever qualify for the forces.

All the power to you - if there is ROTP available and you can get accepted into a program, I'd say go for it.  Good luck.

MM

Yep... ROTP Pharmacy Officer is available. 

I have worked with lots of them who went the ROTP route in order to enter the MOC.

Good luck, it is a rewarding MOC with lots of opportunities, especially right now.

Cheers,

MC

I am definitely not a V3, it turns out - 20/400 in my bad eye and like... 20/300 in the other, correctable to 20/20... so I guess that pegs me at V4. If I'm wrong, well crud. At this point I'm looking into joining under ROTP as a pharmacist, with aerospace engineering and logistics as backup choices. Considering the current pharmacy trend (read: high demand) and assuming it continues, would it be reasonable for me to still hope one day I could transfer to one of the combat trades if I had laser eye surgery and all that jazz, or does being in an occupation with dire need basically screw OTs?

Generally if a trade is "RED" is is closed to voluntary occupational transfer out. 

Pharmacy Officer is red currently. 

Cheers,

MC

MedCorps said:
Generally if a trade is "RED" is is closed to voluntary occupational transfer out. 

Pharmacy Officer is red currently. 

Cheers,

MC

I figured. That's not such a bad thing, though. I'm assuming pharmacists still see (or would see) tours overseas and such?

Yep... we never seem to have enough Pharmacy Officers to go around.  They get deployed frequently on big tours & DART deployments alike.

Cheers,

MC

MedCorps said:
Yep... we never seem to have enough Pharmacy Officers to go around.  They get deployed frequently on big tours & DART deployments alike.

Cheers,

MC

I see you're a Major - which part of the medical group are you?

If there are any real pharmacists out there, perhaps you could explain the difference between cholinergic and and adrenergic drugs to me, and then break each to understandable sub groups?

please?  :-\

Hey guys, new to the forum.  Just wondering if anyone has any info on the DEO route for a Pharmacy Officer?  I'm considering enlisting with an initial posting of either Cold Lake or Ottawa.  What's the day to day grind like in this position? Training? Any info you could provide would be most helpful.  Thanks!

I hope this helps:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/79281/post-752939#msg752939

that does help...thanks.  Anyone have any experience/comments on what a Cold Lake posting would have in store?  I have a young family, and I've never been to the place before.  Seems ok, but...?

pharmadude said:
that does help...thanks.  Anyone have any experience/comments on what a Cold Lake posting would have in store?  I have a young family, and I've never been to the place before.  Seems ok, but...?

My sister and her husband have been stationed there for many years. They like it a lot, will retire there. They raised a family there.

Back