• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Applicants

phildabomb

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody know how many pilots will be taken and/or hired this year? I've heard it can be anywhere from zero to one hundred.

The number was in the 60s at the beginning of the fiscal year, I believe. Get in touch with your nearest recruiting centre to find out the exact number of positions remaining.

The number I was quoted when I (re)did my interview back in May was 47, and I can only assume that was the then-current number.  I was also told that of those, about 20 were being filled in July, and the remainder in October.  I was lucky enough to be one of the July selections.  Anyone who is done ACS and is on the merit list by October will likely have a crack at the rest.

Good luck!

also note that the Commercial Aviation program at western is no longer approved
If any of you where wanting to use it

CEEBEE501 said:
also note that the Commercial Aviation program at western is no longer approved
If any of you where wanting to use it

During my application I selected the CAM program at Western as one of my options and it was approved. It was explained to me by the Recruiting Centre and the Academic Advisor from Western that the CAM program is eligible, but only the non-flight training program.

Are you referring to both programs no longer being approved or only the program including flight training?

http://www.flyuwo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=79

2010newbie said:
During my application I selected the CAM program at Western as one of my options and it was approved. It was explained to me by the Recruiting Centre and the Academic Advisor from Western that the CAM program is eligible, but only the non-flight training program.

Are you referring to both programs no longer being approved or only the program including flight training?

http://www.flyuwo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=79

The non-flight program is quite a small slice of the CAM population, when we refer to CAM it we often don't differentiate, so sorry for the confusion. But yes, the non-flight program is good to go for ROTP, as it doesn't cost any extra.

Why would you apply for the CAM program at UWO - especially since the flying tab is no longer being picked up by the CAS?

The degree doesn't really matter for ROTP and in the case of the CAM program, you will be forking out some substantial money to pay for the flying - which would all be a waste of your money if you are enrolled under the Pilot MOSID.

Zoomie said:
Why would you apply for the CAM program at UWO - especially since the flying tab is no longer being picked up by the CAS?

The degree doesn't really matter for ROTP and in the case of the CAM program, you will be forking out some substantial money to pay for the flying - which would all be a waste of your money if you are enrolled under the Pilot MOSID.

The groundside option of the CAM program is a the same as the flight side, without the ground school or flight school. The tuition is the same price as any other BMOS (business/management) degree at Western. So this degree is essentially a BBA with a focus on commercial aviation and the applicants would have all their flight paid for by the CF via the normal PFT/BFT route of pilot training, if they were enrolled unt he Pilot MOSID.

Heff18 said:
and the applicants would have all their flight paid for by the CF via the normal PFT/BFT route of pilot training, if they were enrolled unt he Pilot MOSID.

I was getting all that you were saying up until this point.

I'll attempt to reword: If someone were enrolled as a pilot in the CAM program, they could take the groundside portion (no flight costs) and learn to fly on the CF's dime by doing PFT in a summer (ha!) and then BFT after like the normal route of ROTP pilots.

Heff,

Believe me, you'll have plenty of groundschool on PFT/BFT... No need to take a degree that teaches you groundschool...  I'd do a degree in something that would give me a solid back up plan, in case pilot doesn't work.

Just to clairfy, the degree itself is essentially a business degree with an aviation twist like air economics, history of aviation, human factors and geography to name a few. The difference between the air and ground side is the fact that on top of the regular degree, the air side does civilian flight training from a PPL to a CPL w/ multi-IFR at a nearby flight school. If it wasn't getting paid for by the CF, I wouldn't subject myself to the extra costs and learning that I'd eventually get through PFT and will get on BFT. The only thing this gets me is a PFT bypass, ~260 free flight hours and a much busier schedule, which is fine by me as I'll be flying the next 3 years.

And if the pilot thing does fall through, the degree will get you a job the same as a BBA (or BMOS at Western) would, you'd just have a better understanding of how the aviation industry works.

So, if you want to take a business degree with a focus on the aviation industry, then the CAM program could be for you. If you want to study math, english or engineering, then by all means do that instead. In the end, you may/may not be a trained military pilot, hopefully having spent 4 years learning something you enjoy.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a CAM thread, was just trying to clear up that it's not a pilot only program. Take whatever degree you like, I would suggest that to anyone. I did 3 years of a degree in Comp Sci only to learn I hate working 50 hours at a desk as a programmer.

Heff18 said:
Just to clairfy, the degree itself is essentially a business degree with an aviation twist like air economics, history of aviation, human factors and geography to name a few.

Heff, what geography classes are you in? Do you happen to be in 2310 Weather and Climate? My Major is geography (First year in it, but third year at UWO). But I know a lot of the CAM program takes 2310 so I was just curious if you were.

Oh and by the way, that History of Aviation course is an easy essay course for us aviation nerds  :nod:. So enjoy haha.

Back