• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot in the Reserve Force

Thanks, Strike - have you been studying which buttons to push and how? I'll try to do this safely...

Helicop has been a flop. It came about because a certain person with certain ideas in a position to do great harm didn't want to "waste money training people when I can hire experienced ones" - thus died the reserve pilot training programme where we put two pairs through the whole Chilliwack-to-Portage system each year. Thirteen years later, we still have two of those guys in my Squadron and they have more than paid back the public's investment in them. Another one subsequently went Reg F. The rest drifted away over the years following our restructure/re-equipment/re-location but every single one of them justified their training costs. Losing that programme was perhaps the worst single thing to happen to us post-1975, and reinstating it would be tremendous.

Helicop was supposed to replace that. We have not had enough applicants and some have had problems due to their lack of overall experience and/or instrument time. It was supposed to save money, which it did by cutting out Moose Jaw - but that should be cut out anyway for Tac Hel pilots.

We have none here anymore, although one guy did last (and contribute for) about a decade until he had to move back to Saskatchewan (spelled out in full for the practice). The only other one that I personally know and who is still around went Reg F several years ago too.

You are unlikely to get better info here than you can by contacting the nearest Squadron, volition, because too few have done it and probably not very recently.

Feel free to PM me, but don't even THINK about coming here until I'm finally done my refresher - I've been waiting too bloody long for that.

Since we're still on the topic of reserve helicopter pilots, and since SeaKingTacco is taking a while to answer my PM question to him, I was wondering if anyone knows if a non-prior service civvy can become an air reserve Sea King or Cyclone pilot (hopefully at Pat Bay, BC) through the programs/processes you all mentioned (like the helicop program...).

Or it's just not possible? Even if this particular civvy has a private pilot's license for helicopters? Well it was worth a shot asking...

CougarKing said:
Since we're still on the topic of reserve helicopter pilots, and since SeaKingTacco is taking a while to answer my PM question to him, I was wondering if anyone knows if a non-prior service civvy can become an air reserve Sea King or Cyclone pilot (hopefully at Pat Bay, BC) through the programs/processes you all mentioned (like the helicop program...).

Or it's just not possible? Even if this particular civvy has a private pilot's license for helicopters? Well it was worth a shot asking...

Never heard of it. Sea King crews are very deployable, so I really can't see a pilot slot going to someone that isn't able to deploy for weeks at a time on sometimes very short notice. Unless you're in Shearwater, then maybe you could get a slot as an instructor or at HOTEF, but as you can probably guess, those are slots for experienced guys and being off the street, you won't get one.

These two worlds rarely mesh very well.  I speak from experience, not conjecture.  The only common ground is that they share air space, and that's about it.  The machines are similar, but are operated completely differently.  Civilians that try to mesh with military don't do it very well, and I've seen ex military pilots completely miss the mark when retiring from the service and think they can breeze into the mainstream of commercial helicopters.  Some fit well, most don't.  You should see the initial look on their faces when they're told to fuel they're own machines, oh, wash it when you're done, and no, we don't care that you'e got a Group 4 ALTP (H).  I know a helicop pilot who flys Seakings on call, and the Military pilots look waaaaay down their noese at him, even though he's an experienced logging pilot with more hours than the whole room combined.  But we don't begrudge the Military guys so long as they stay and work in their environment.  RMC means nothing on a long line mountain drill move. I am an ex Armour M/Cpl with 6,000 hours on 205, 206, 206L, 500.

CougarKing said:
Even if this particular civvy has a private pilot's license for helicopters? Well it was worth a shot asking...
A private licence is unlikely to cut it. I believe that commercial is the min, plus at least 500 hrs, instrument time, and turbine time are necessary to even get looked at regardless of whatever guidelines exist might say.

22B said:
These two worlds rarely mesh very well.  I speak from experience, not conjecture.  The only common ground is that they share air space, and that's about it.  The machines are similar, but are operated completely differently.  Civilians that try to mesh with military don't do it very well, and I've seen ex military pilots completely miss the mark when retiring from the service and think they can breeze into the mainstream of commercial helicopters.  Some fit well, most don't.  You should see the initial look on their faces when they're told to fuel they're own machines, oh, wash it when you're done, and no, we don't care that you'e got a Group 4 ALTP (H).  I know a helicop pilot who flys Seakings on call, and the Military pilots look waaaaay down their noese at him, even though he's an experienced logging pilot with more hours than the whole room combined.  But we don't begrudge the Military guys so long as they stay and work in their environment.  RMC means nothing on a long line mountain drill move. I am an ex Armour M/Cpl with 6,000 hours on 205, 206, 206L, 500.

22B, as both a current mil and a CPLH (412/212/206) rated pilot, I think your view is unit or community-specific, at best.  You might be surprised to find that things have changed in the military and even us lofty pilots who "look waaaaay down our nose" at reserve/civy pilots a) don't actually do this, at least not in my community, and b) that we are actually walking around, gassing and towing our own machines...the horror!  Just because you can put a coffee can in a water bucket with a 100' long line doesn't necessarily mean you have the skills required for a specific operation.  How many night hours do you have out of your 6000 hours?  How much work do you do 15-50' over the water at night?  Live long-lining on NVG to non-stationary LZ's?...the list goes on...  I have to be honest here, your "Some fit well, most don't"...hmmm...based on what statistical population?  I know lots of buds (15+) who got out to ATPL-H land and they all did very well on the outside...many becoming not only drivers but managing their operations with great success.  As well, your statement of "we don't begrudge the Military guys so long as they stay and work in their environment" sounds more like your issue than ours.  I can think of about 2 reserve pilots who are not overly welcome out of about 20+ whom I know, and it has nothing to do with their skills or what they do in civy land...it is entirely their shite work-ethics that sets me and others off against them....that's a personality issue, not a "what side of the street do you come from" kind of thing.

Volition, PM me and I'll send you some contacts at the primary reserve units who can give you the skinny on how things go at their location...Gagetown is a little different as the main operational training unit providing operational type-conversion training for the entire tactical aviation community.

G2G

Inch said:
Never heard of it. Sea King crews are very deployable, so I really can't see a pilot slot going to someone that isn't able to deploy for weeks at a time on sometimes very short notice. Unless you're in Shearwater, then maybe you could get a slot as an instructor or at HOTEF, but as you can probably guess, those are slots for experienced guys and being off the street, you won't get one.

Let me guess- this applies to civilian pilots with experience in fixed-wing aircraft as well, but with no prior military flight experience, I suppose? Figures...

I heard they're lowering the hours for civie trained pilot to 250 hours, but they need to have an IFR and a night rating as well. Any truth to the matter?

Recruiters,

I am 35 years old with university degrees, and I would like to become an RCAF Pilot. My objectives are to serve my country and fly in any capacity, whether that be instructing, transport, or maintenance. My family situation precludes a commission in the regular force. I have seen the job postings for pilots, and that Reserve pilots are eligible to fly. My specific question is whether it would be possible to fly as a part-time reservist in any capacity out of 15 Wing Moose Jaw? I know that there are reserve-heavy squadrons, but a move out of Saskatchewan is not possible for me. However, it is possible that I could take a leave from my job (and family) to go through the pilot training, and then fly in whatever capacity needed for a few days a month in Moose Jaw. I have spoken with a recruiter in Moose Jaw, and will follow up with him. I just wanted to get another perspective on the possibility.

Thank you for your time,

LKT

LKT-

In my Squadron, we have reservists who are pilots. They are, however, former regular force pilots who have become reservists.

I am not aware of a program where we take people of the street as reservists and make pilots out of them.

LKT said:
Recruiters,

I am 35 years old with university degrees, and I would like to become an RCAF Pilot. My objectives are to serve my country and fly in any capacity, whether that be instructing, transport, or maintenance. My family situation precludes a commission in the regular force. I have seen the job postings for pilots, and that Reserve pilots are eligible to fly. My specific question is whether it would be possible to fly as a part-time reservist in any capacity out of 15 Wing Moose Jaw? I know that there are reserve-heavy squadrons, but a move out of Saskatchewan is not possible for me. However, it is possible that I could take a leave from my job (and family) to go through the pilot training, and then fly in whatever capacity needed for a few days a month in Moose Jaw. I have spoken with a recruiter in Moose Jaw, and will follow up with him. I just wanted to get another perspective on the possibility.

Thank you for your time,

LKT

Pilot training can take 18 months when you add it all up. Not to mention basic training. This wouldn't all be at once. Would you be able to take this much time off?

SeaKingTacco said:
LKT-

In my Squadron, we have reservists who are pilots. They are, however, former regular force pilots who have become reservists.

I am not aware of a program where we take people of the street as reservists and make pilots out of them.

Thanks for the reply. This gets to my reasons for posting. I know it's a long shot, because realistically why would the RCAF pay all that money to have a part-timer drive some very expensive kit? I am pretty sure I know what the answer will be, but being a pilot in the RCAF is my dream. I want to make sure that I've explored all possibilities before closing the door for good.

LKT

The Reserve Pilot Training Programme, which put off-the-street Reservists through the whole Reg F Pilot training programme was trashed by Commander Air Command (I can never remember his name, but he was Commander 1 CAG/1 CAD while I was in 444 Squadron from 1986-1989 and severly underwhelmed us then) in the early 1990s. He had no understanding of Reservists and Res F units, and "did not want to waste money training people when he could hire experienced people". This was a grievous error. Several people from that programme are still serving today, over twenty years later, either as Reservists or Regulars.

There was HelICOP (Helicopter Industry Co-operation Programme) designed to bring commercial helicopter Pilots in for a while afterwards, but it was never a rip-roaring success and I've not heard anything about it for many years.

Reg Force is the only way to go now, unless there is some other little-known way of sneaking in.

RPTP guys were in the mill for two years. Not many employers gave that much time off back then, and probably wouldn't now, either.

Lumber said:
Pilot training can take 18 months when you add it all up. Not to mention basic training. This wouldn't all be at once. Would you be able to take this much time off?

Thanks for the reply. The answer would be "possibly." With the breaks between components it's possible that I could be away from home or work for a few months at a time. Being away for 8 or 9 months for language training would be a stretch. With the economy out West going where it is, there's also the possibility that I may have more time on my hands than I want!

As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure I know this isn't realistic, but I want to be absolutely sure before giving up.

LKT

Loachman said:
Reg Force is the only way to go now, unless there is some other little-known way of sneaking in.

Figured. While it's not great to hear, it's good to know.

So there's no way that you could join as Reg Force, get your wings, and then transfer into the Reserves? I'm sorry that I'm demonstrating my utter lack of understanding of how the military works.

Thanks for the help,

LKT

LKT said:
So there's no way that you could join as Reg Force, get your wings, and then transfer into the Reserves?

Reading Comprehension  [:D

SeaKingTacco said:
LKT-

LKT said:
So there's no way that you could join as Reg Force, get your wings, and then transfer into the Reserves?

Join the Reg Force, do your obligatory service, and then see if there are any Res Force positions available at that point.

I am merging this with an existing thread, as only Recruiters and DS are supposed to be responding to posts in this forum.

LKT said:
With the economy out West going where it is, there's also the possibility that I may have more time on my hands than I want!

Then a job in the reg force sounds doubly the way to go!

Back