• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poisoning Incident, 1978, CFB PETAWAWA / Cpl. Aime Crockett

Nuggs

Reaction score
Looking for anyone that might have been familiar with the incident or may have known Cpl. Crockett.

I recall hearing about it, at the time. I was not there however.
I read the news story online:
Toronto Star 27 Jan 1978 page C17.
It says 18 soldiers were transported to National Defence Medical Centre in Ottawa. The report says Cpl Crockett died, two ( their names are reported )remained in ICU and the 15 others were under observation.

mariomike said:
I recall hearing about it, at the time. I was not there however.
I read the news story online:
Toronto Star 27 Jan 1978 page C17.
It says 18 soldiers were transported to National Defence Medical Centre in Ottawa. The report says Cpl Crockett died, two ( their names are reported )remained in ICU and the 15 others were under observation.

Yeah, I know the specifics of the incident (have a copy of the inquiry), more trying to find people that had first hand knowledge of the accident to clarify I few things. Cpl Crockett was my father.

Crockett said:
Yeah, I know the specifics of the incident (have a copy of the inquiry), more trying to find people that had first hand knowledge of the accident to clarify I few things. Cpl Crockett was my father.

I did not know your father, my condolences though.  However for those reading this thread (the curious), was this the incident involving the mistaken consumption of "medical" alcohol?

Crockett said:

My condolences, OS Crockett.
From your handle, and the age in your profile, I wondered if Cpl Crockett might have been your father.  But, the story in the Star said your father was married with no children. You must have been born after he passed away.
Good luck in your search.

Blackadder1916 said:
I did not know your father, my condolences though.  However for those reading this thread (the curious), was this the incident involving the mistaken consumption of "medical" alcohol?

Thats the one.

2 Svc Bn/Maint Coy.

The system fried a lot of people in the aftermath, some whom did not deserve it but were caught  in the Chain of Command. It was antifreeze, not medical alcohol.

Many survived because they already were so drunk from legit alcohol, and vomited. Several that did survive were blind as a result.

a78jumper said:
2 Svc Bn/Maint Coy.

The system fried a lot of people in the aftermath, some whom did not deserve it but were caught  in the Chain of Command. It was antifreeze, not medical alcohol.

Many survived because they already were so drunk from legit alcohol, and vomited. Several that did survive were blind as a result.

Yeah, they decided canned fruit cocktail and a jug of medical alcohol would make a good mix, but the medical alcohol turned out to be Methanol.

Crockett said:
. . .  canned fruit cocktail and a jug of medical alcohol would make a good mix . . .

Prior to this incident, "medical" alcohol (Ethyl 98%) was an attractive additive to many a bowl of "Purple Jesus" or "Moose Milk".  While there were legitimate medical uses for it, the quantities ordered by 1st and 2nd line medical organizations (even those with a laboratory and/or a compounding pharmacist) often raised eyebrows.  Unfortunately, it took a tragedy such as this to impose much stricter controls.

Yes, I do remember this unfortunate event.  We were in the midst of a winter military exercise.  I remember it involved a member of field ambulance(medic) who used the wrong alcohol to make a party punch. 
I believe there were approx. 4 - 6 soldiers who were very ill.  The most serious were flown to Ottawa base hospital for emergency treatment. 
I remember specifically that one of our guys from Service Battalion was blinded due to this situation.
It happened such a long time ago.  It is difficult to remember all the names of those who were affected.

I remember it quite well, it was one of a serious of incidents that the
Ottawa journal tried to pin on the Airborne Regt.The others were the
huge punch up in a disco in Hull and dynamite fishing in a lake in the
Petawawa area.As a member of the Airborne at the time I know we
had nothing to do with any of these incidents.Honest!.
                                                  Regards

I was part of the HQ staff in the field and remember it well.  It was one of the few times that i ever saw a general start throwing things and the FSM ranting about stupidity.  It was one of the first exercises where there was no booze allowed in the field and it was cold and raining.  My condolences also i did not know your father but cannot think of a worse way. 

In years past I've been known to use the ethyl 98% from the morgue for special occasions. I could see this happening very easily if someone didn't know about the arrangement and decanted methanol by accident. How soon we forget.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I was in Pet when that happened.
Confirm Med Alcohol because i was
under the impression it was Glycol
Alcohol as in what you put in your
gas tank to prevent water conden-
sation. Anyway it was a terrible
thing. I do know we lost a brother
and comrade's were seriously hos-
pitalised. I hope you can find the
answer's.
Scoty B

Hello, I just discovered this site and this topic brought back a number of memories.

During this incident, I was an Aero Engine Cpl stationed in Ottawa but in Petawawa as support for the CH135s on winter exercise. During the night in question, I was assigned as start crew for the CH135s that flew the stricken to Ottawa. It was colder than a politician's heart and we were living under canvas. I was hauled abruptly out of a slightly colder than ice sleeping bag and spent a number of hours outside working to get the aircraft started and flyable in the cold. The visibility was poor at more than ground level and the aircraft were in restricted flight mode because of that. It took longer than normal but they did make it to NDMC.

I helped to load the stretchers onto the aircraft amidst hopes for their well-being. I heard much information in the following few days but most of that was probably rumour. Many people on the exercise became very suspicious of any liquid reportedly brought out from base. I personally at that time permanently swore off an 'barracks brew', no matter who made it, buddy or not.

Back