• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poles in UK and joining the Army

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Call for Poles to be allowed to join UK Army
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/18/narmy118.xml

Army recruitment officers want a review of restrictions on foreigners serving in the British forces, after a surge in interest from Polish immigrants hoping to join up.

People from outside the Commonwealth must currently live in Britain for five years and take British citizenship before they can sign up.

However, as the manning crisis in the Armed Forces deepens, a surge of interest from Polish immigrant workers has prompted some to call for a loosening of the rules.

Lt Col Paul Meldon, commander of regional recruitment in London, said a significant number of Poles had made inquiries and voiced interest about joining up.

"Currently, they can't join up unless they live here for a few years and get a British passport - and it would need legislation to change that," he told the Daily Mail.

"There is a precedent for having battalions of foreign soldiers in the British Army, in the form of the Gurkha regiments.

"Or there is the French approach, where they have the Foreign Legion."

A loosening of the rules could make a large number of potential recruits available, he added.
advertisement

Recent figures show the military is short of more than 5,500 troops...

Meanwhile, more Polish Army troops for Afstan:
http://www.reuters.com/article/featuredCrisis/idUSL19302072

WARSAW, March 17 (Xinhua) -- Poland will send more troops to Afghanistan in the autumn, Defense Minister Bogdan Klich said on Monday [March 17].

Poland's ISAF force currently numbers about 1,200 troops. Their number will go up to 1,600, according to Polish news agency PAP.

ISAF's key military tasks include assisting the Afghan government in extending its authority across the country, conducting stability and security operations in coordination with the Afghan national security forces, mentoring and supporting the Afghan national army, and supporting Afghan government programs to disarm illegally armed groups...

See " Polish plans for Afstan":
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/02/polish-plans-for-afstan.html

Mark
Ottawa

Hmmm would be interesting. The  Polish Regiment (Of Foot) or the Queen's Own Polish Rifles?

Well as long as they aren't in a big hurry to join the Royal Navy, I guess its a good thing  >:D (someone had to say it).

No one get their knickers in twist, its a light hearted joke, and I am of Polish desent. ;)

What and replace rum with Vodka? Actually, the Polish navy came out of the Second World War well honoured. The only problem i see with Poles joining the British Armed Forces is if they are in the forces, who would be fixing the houses, picking the fruit, waiting on the tables, driving the busses, collecting the tickets etc.. in civy Britain... By the way. I believe the British Army's labour force in Germany in the 50's was composed mostly of Poles - so not without precedent.

In the sixties when 4 CIBG was part of 1 British Corps, Polish veterans were employed across BAOR in security (like commissionaires) and other tasks. If I recall correctly, the tank transporter regiment used Polish drivers, but I don't know if it was a corps or higher asset. The Poles wwere easily recognized as they wore a dark blue battledress like uniform. Sorry I can't add more, but my contact with them was minimal at best.

Have we forgotten that, in the Invasion of Europe, the Poles were part of the Canadian Army (1st Polish Armoured division).

After WW2, a lot of Poles didn't relish the thought of going home.  The Soviets were in the process of building their version of "utopia/»Shangri la" and many Poles would have none of that!

I wonder if there is a huge difference between the pay scale of soldiers in the Polish Army VS the British Army.  Anyone?

You have the Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish and Welsh Guards.  Let us not forget that there was also at one time our very own Canadian Guards..... Would a Polish Guards Regiment be out of the question :)

While I cannot give exact numbers - the pay scale is definitely different - as is cost of living. For example, a police sargeant's wage (10 years of service) is 1200 zloties (take home) - that is roughly the equivalent of the same as a sargeant/petty officer in the Armed Forces. Teachers here by the way, have a start wage of 600 zloties a month. My wage (I teach at a college) is 1200 zloties with bonus. Now conversion: a zlotie is 1/5 a British pound. As to living expense, well, my  pay is basically gone by the second week. Hence, I do two jobs - sometimes when i can, three. I did four before my latest heart attack. Yes, service in the British forces is attractive. Besides, there IS the mystique of joining the British Forces. And Poles do like to contribute to their adopted societies.

Ummm... 1 US$ = 2.2313 Zlotys    or  1 GBP = 4.4514Zlotys

UK SSgt (WO) wage =  range of 71.07 to 89.93 GBP per day = +/- 2800 GBP "gross" or +/- 1900 GBP after taxes...or 8700 Zlotys .  This is a major difference and would definitively motivate a Polish soldier to emigrate to the UK  IMHO

geo said:
Ummm... 1 US$ = 2.2313 Zlotys    or  1 GBP = 4.4514Zlotys

UK SSgt (WO) wage =  range of 71.07 to 89.93 GBP per day = +/- 2800 GBP "gross" or +/- 1900 GBP after taxes...or 8700 Zlotys .  This is a major difference and would definitively motivate a Polish soldier to emigrate to the UK  IMHO

1900GBP a month, with 12 months that's ~ 22,800 GBP = +/- $46,529.03 CAD at the current exchange rate... that's crazily um... low for a WO rank.

Well then, good material for Canada to draw upon... I knew of at least two individuals who did their time in the British system before coimng to Canada  - Sgt-major Sandland, Bob Bremner (1CER, 1978-80ish).  They were pretty good.  With the British, it was just a matter of convincing them to do things in a Canadian way (British exchange Warrant regarding the MGB: 1978: "What the hell are you doing hammering that pin in! That a very precisely machined bit of British kit!". 1979:" What the Hell are you mucking about! Just bash it in with the hammer!"

Heh.... A piece of precision kit those .... the Mk1 Sledge OR the Mk1 Ball pen hammer.

MedTech said:
Hmmm would be interesting. The  Polish Regiment (Of Foot) or the Queen's Own Polish Rifles?

A soldier formerly of my Regiment who was of mixed Scottish and Chinese extraction often suggested that Canada ought to raise "The Queen's Own Chinese Highlanders", which he would happily command.  It's not that ridiculous an idea, that's where the Irish and Scottish regiments in Canada trace roots back to - being raised by the appropriate communities in Canada.

.... in that case, that regiment will have to be raised with a battalion in Toronto & another in Vancouver.
There could probably be regiments of Punjab lancers in both cities as well.  >:D

JackD said:
Well then, good material for Canada to draw upon... I knew of at least two individuals who did their time in the British system before coimng to Canada  - Sgt-major Sandland, Bob Bremner (1CER, 1978-80ish).  They were pretty good.  With the British, it was just a matter of convincing them to do things in a Canadian way (British exchange Warrant regarding the MGB: 1978: "What the hell are you doing hammering that pin in! That a very precisely machined bit of British kit!". 1979:" What the Hell are you mucking about! Just bash it in with the hammer!"

Hammer an MGB pin?  PHILISTINE!!  Hammer on Baillie pins all you want, there is never a need to hammer MGB pins if the panel hangers are doing their jobs properly.

But what do I know, I drove AVLBs for 10 years... ;D

geo said:
.... in that case, that regiment will have to be raised with a battalion in Toronto & another in Vancouver.
There could probably be regiments of Punjab lancers in both cities as well.  >:D

I will gladly command 1st Battalionn Royal Infantry of Chinese Enlisted members ( 1Bn RICE) , and the regimental crest will be crossed rifles and a rice stalk in the middle.

Nah.... Dragons Rampant on either side of the CN tower

Redeye said:
A soldier formerly of my Regiment who was of mixed Scottish and Chinese extraction often suggested that Canada ought to raise "The Queen's Own Chinese Highlanders", which he would happily command.  It's not that ridiculous an idea, that's where the Irish and Scottish regiments in Canada trace roots back to - being raised by the appropriate communities in Canada.

Never saw the Toronto Scottish in the late 1980's early 1990's when we considered renaming the Bn to the Toronto Filippino Regiment or the 48th Highlanders a few years later with the Russian and Jamaican emigree companies I take it.  ;D

Redeye said:

How about a Newfoundland regiment first.

X-mo-1979 said:
How about a Newfoundland regiment first.

Why? Newfoundland hasn't been with Canada for that long, without the Chinese population building the rail roads there would've been no Canada to begin with  ;) I think the Chinese populations should get a regiment of their own first  ;D

Back