• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post-deployment Health Screening - Op APOLLO

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
For those interested, below is a link to a 35 page CFMG study titled:

Evaluation of an Enhanced Post-Deployment Health Screening Program for Canadian
Forces Members Deployed on Operation APOLLO

by Dr. Mark Zamorski - Directorate of Medical Policy

http://www.pdhealth.mil/downloads/Report_Final_061603.pdf

I hate to ask this since I havent read it yet but does it speak of the ongoing evaluation of the TB testing of all members prior and post deployments???

No, it's more about the results and effectiveness of the self-reporting interview and questionaire.

A fair bit on PTSD however.

I was involved in this survey.  As a member of 3 PPCLI battle group and it raise some interesting problems. 
    1)  While clearing prepping our camp site we came across alot of asbestos lying around. We could read that it was asbestos but were told it wasn't.  How interesting that this report confirms that exposure.  Wonder what else was there and they didn't inform us?

2)  My major concern ref this survey was that although the personnel that were deemed a high risk for future problems had followups the one that were deemed moderate risk or borderline have never been followed up on.  To me that is missing a large number of potential problems.  I don't think they need to be followed up every year but should at least be spoken to in five year and see if the results are different.  Are these personnel better or worse after time.

It was a shitty tour in all aspects but it was a great learning experience too.  If given the chance to do it again I would in a heart beat.  After all this is one of the jobs of our military.

I was not involved in clearing the camp - I think I spent only about seven nights in either camp out of the whole 6 months.  It being an old Russian Airfield, I would think the most amazing stuff would have been dumped there.  At the time, we mostly worried about stuff that went "boom".  And the noise.  The original location of Southwest OP was one of the noisiest places in the world.  You could throw a rock and almost hit the C-17s as they came and went, and it seemed like there was one a minute for awhile. 

Tom

Back