• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PPP for M-109 reset.

Last year the US cranked up a new production run for light guns, it seems even the US is still in the picture with light arty and they are currently researching new arty ammo for both 105 and 155.

Maybe we could get some of these light guns for the regulars and reserves? Then give the Mortars back to the infantry and maybe retire the C3's....

Now that song comes to mind If I had a million dollars.... If I had a million dollars... i'd buy you a...

Now that song comes to mind If I had a million dollars.... If I had a million dollars... i'd buy you a...
[/quote]

More like if I had Billion Dollars...... :D

Mikeg81 said:
Hey All,

When I was out with E Battery, the Dutch came out with a pair of PZH2000's. They were the all singing, all dancing arty system, 100% atuomated.
However, when 1 system goes down(which it did on one of the Dutch guns) the whole gun is out of action. This one gun sat for a week and a couple of days, waiting for parts.
Not good.

As for the whole C3 thing...there isn't any parts, no support for it. It was built to fire a round(RAP or somthing like that) that we'll never see. Isn't it time to replace it? So what if its just a training gun? Why are the Reg F using Reserve C3 guns? Plus useless LG1's?

Even with the whole trend of the 777, even the US is keeping and getting more of the 105 Light Gun.

Likely due to the fact that the C3 is built like a brick outhouse and keeps soldiering on. You have to admit that we got our monies worth out of that platform. First designed in 1919 if recall with riveted trails. We were able to bring a rolled C2 back into action by acquiring a sight mount off of a US Army Museum piece.

My understanding of the US M109 upgrade is a new chassis built using as many of the Bradely drivetrain parts as possible. I suspect that with our guns it is the chassis that is suffering the most as much of the turret was rebuilt during the last upgrade if I recall correctly?

Don't know about the chassis, the M109s are all lined up at the 202 workshops.
They certainly look forlorn sitting next to the old Leo C2s, AVBLs, M113s and bent LAV/Bisons...

Colin P said:
Likely due to the fact that the C3 is built like a brick outhouse and keeps soldiering on. You have to admit that we got our monies worth out of that platform. First designed in 1919 if recall with riveted trails. We were able to bring a rolled C2 back into action by acquiring a sight mount off of a US Army Museum piece.

True of the C2. They've been around for 60+ years. We got our money out of that platform years ago. Esp the cradles that were used to make C3's. The recoil mech, trails, equilibrator, and barrel were changed to make the C3. That recoil mech gives the most trouble. I've seen alot of the guns grounded for that reason. And there arn't any parts for it. Plus other parts on the trails had to be strengthend to offset the longer heavier barrel. We missed a half year of training until that got fixed. Moneys worth out of the C3? I dunno. You could use old C2's and still get the same value.

I agree that the C3 is robust, but when it DOES break...

If I recall the recoil mech was made up of a fixed piston and a floating piston, with valves to control the flow of oil and gas. The rings on the floating pistons were also made of silver I think. From what I see the design did not change much, perhaps they did not account properly for the added energies? Having seen the recoil mech for the C2 completely pulled apart, it is a stunningly simple design.

Spencer100 said:

More like if I had Billion Dollars...... :D

Well if we had another billion we can go all out and get us some HIMARS. Take a few of those new Benz up-armoured trucks et voila. I know easier said than done. Im just going to be happy to finally try the C3 if I go 89th bty next year.

From what I understand the recoil has trouble with the greater mass of the barrel.

I'll confirm and get back to you.

That would make sense, you can only change those sort of factors so much while retaining the same/similar recoil mech.

Back