• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Protesting while serving

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlborough

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I have been mulling this question over and couldn't find an answer.

Once I join the military, what are the rules regarding protesting?
I assume that my personal opinions will not always match exactly with those of the government or even the military.  Am I still afforded the same rights to protest against the government even though I have taken an oath to serve the queen?

In your own personal capacity, as a citizen, not representing DND in any way, then participating in a lawful protest action is perfectly legal.

marlborough said:
Once I join the military, what are the rules regarding protesting?

My opinion ( so take that for what it is worth ) is that you can engage in lawful protest when not on duty, and not in uniform, and you may not identify yourself as a member of the CF verbally or in writing, because you do not speak for them.

The previous posters have it right.  As long as you don't identify yourself as a member of the CF - protest away.

Marlborough, you may want to take a look at these references:

QR&O 19.14
QR&O 19.36
QR&O 19.44

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/tc-tm-019-eng.asp

As long as you stay within the constraints of the QR&Os above, you should be okay.

From the Queen's Regulations and Orders:

19.14 – IMPROPER COMMENTS

(1) No officer or non-commissioned member shall make remarks or pass criticism tending to bring a superior into contempt, except as may be necessary for the proper presentation of a grievance under Chapter 7 (Grievances). (15 June 2000)

(2) No officer or non-commissioned member shall do or say anything that:

(a) if seen or heard by any member of the public, might reflect discredit on the Canadian Forces or on any of its members; or

(b) if seen by, heard by or reported to those under him, might discourage them or render them dissatisfied with their condition or the duties on which they are employed.

And;

19.36 – DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION OR OPINION

(1) For the purposes of this article, the adjective "military" shall be construed as relating not only to the Canadian Forces but also to the armed forces of any country.

(2) Subject to article 19.375 (Communications to News Agencies), no officer or non-commissioned member shall without permission obtained under article 19.37 (Permission to Communicate Information):

(a) publish in any form whatever or communicate directly or indirectly or otherwise disclose to an unauthorized person official information or the contents of an unpublished or classified official document or the contents thereof;

(b) use that information or document for a private purpose;

(c) publish in any form whatever any military information or the member’s views on any military subject to unauthorized persons;

(d) deliver publicly, or record for public delivery, either directly or through the medium of radio or television, a lecture, discourse or answers to questions relating to a military subject;

(e) prepare a paper or write a script on any military subject for delivery or transmission to the public;

(f) publish the member’s opinions on any military question that is under consideration by superior authorities;

(g) take part in public in a discussion relating to orders, regulations or instructions issued by the member’s superiors;

(h) disclose to an unauthorized person, without the authority of the department, agency or other body concerned, any information acquired in an official capacity while seconded, attached or loaned to that department, agency or other body;

(i) furnish to any person, not otherwise authorized to receive them, official reports, correspondence or other documents, or copies thereof; or

(j) publish in writing or deliver any lecture, address or broadcast in any dealing with a subject of a controversial nature affecting other departments of the public service or pertaining to public policy.

(3) This article does not apply to a writing, lecture, address or broadcast confined exclusively to members of the Canadian Forces.

(M)(25 May 2000 effective 15 June 2000)

19.37 – PERMISSION TO COMMUNICATE INFORMATION

(1) Permission for the purposes of article 19.36 (Disclosure of Information or Opinion) may be granted by the Chief of the Defence Staff or such other authority as he may designate.

(2) Permission given under paragraph (1):

(a) does not have the effect of endorsing anything said or done by the person to whom it is given;

(b) may not be referred to in any way; and

(c) is given on the basis that no statement implying endorsement on behalf of the Crown will be included in what is said or done.

(M)

19.375 – COMMUNICATIONS TO NEWS AGENCIES

(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), any communication concerning or affecting the Canadian Forces or any part thereof that it may be considered desirable to make to the press or any other agencies concerned with the dissemination of news or opinions will be made by the Minister or an officer or official designated by the Minister.

(2) An officer commanding a command, formation, base, unit or element may make communications to the press or other news agencies when they concern or affect only the command, formation, base, unit or element under the officer’s command and do not involve enunciation, defence or criticism, expressed or implied, of service, departmental or government policy.

(3) As it is desirable that the public should be acquainted with conditions of life in the service and that local interest be encouraged, an officer commanding a command, formation, base, unit or element is authorized at the officer’s discretion to invite local representatives of the press and other news agencies to visit the command formation, base, unit or element under the officer’s command and to furnish to them, subject to paragraph (2), such information as the officer may consider suitable for the purpose.

The gist of it being as was stated above. Don't wear your uniform. Don't identify yourself as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, especially not to the press.

Don't do anything that could give anyone the impression that you are talking on behalf of anyone other than yourself.

Thanks for the info everyone, this is all reasonable and sensible.

It sounds to me like there could be a problem taking any leading role in a protest, as your background is sure to be discovered.  So I guess the most a serving member can do is add their voice or be someone in that crowd with a sign.

The rules have been posted. ::)
There's also an unwritten rule, "Don't make waves."

There's also the other unwritten rule, "Don't get caught."

That's the exception that proves the rule!  ;D
"Special leave is given for men to be out of barracks tonight till 11.00 p.m."; "The exception proves the rule."

I was actually talking about that yesterday.

Do not identify yourself as part of the CF, do not disclosed any information, and do not get actively involved, at least in regards to protests against the government, military, and current conflicts, including certain protests that is seen as security concerns like anti-globalization and anti-capitalism protests. I would think it can also be treated as black marks to higher level of security clearances as well.

Besides, once in the CF, one will not get accepted all that well within certain protest groups anyways if discovered, limiting to just participating.

They always figure out where you work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xtbmvhBaQs

mellian said:
I would think it can also be treated as black marks to higher level of security clearances as well.

Absolutely - your friends could have a lot to do with security clearances.  Their names could very well show up on a CSIS or RCMP list and be connected to you.

Not especially a military thing, but you are promoted based on evaluation by your superiors.  They might very well base less than excellent evaluations on the whole package which might include negative perceptions of your activities and you will never know.

I'd be careful with being part of one of these protest groups. You have no idea what investigative agency has a file on them, or if they've been linked to more than peaceful protests in the past. No matter how innocent your involvement, you may be waving goodbye to a higher security clearance down the road. There's a lot of digging done that you'll never know about.

Here's a different question.What ever happened to people joining who looked forward to beating hippies protesting? ;D

Get back....get back...get back...
Now that's good fun.Tiring but good fun!

I remember the days when we were forbidden from being in any way political.

We were told we weren't even allowed to sign petitions.

I still use that as my personal policy, just to avoid any problems. I keep my personal politics inside the voting booth and inside my own home as much as I can (though sometimes they sneak out in conversation)

Otis

X-mo-1979 said:
Here's a different question.What ever happened to people joining who looked forward to beating hippies protesting? ;D

I wanted the uniform. But, looking back, there was a lot going on. The FLQ Crisis. The Kent State Massacre. The war in Vietnam. Hippies in Yorkville and Rochdale College ( I became familiar with them a couple of years later ).  But, compared to what men who were still only in their early forties had been through, it was pretty tame.
What you said reminded me of what Mayor Dennison said at the time, "A few hippies and deserters are Toronto's only problem." We all felt that way!

Otis said:
I remember the days when we were forbidden from being in any way political.

We were told we weren't even allowed to sign petitions.

I still use that as my personal policy, just to avoid any problems. I keep my personal politics inside the voting booth and inside my own home as much as I can (though sometimes they sneak out in conversation)

Otis
I actually agree with this. Not saying anybody else has to, but I just accept that there are certain things I gave up when I took my oath.

mariomike said:
I wanted the uniform. But, looking back, there was a lot going on. The FLQ Crisis. The Kent State Massacre. The war in Vietnam. Hippies in Yorkville and Rochdale College ( I became familiar with them a couple of years later ).  But, compared to what men who were still only in their early forties had been through, it was pretty tame.
What you said reminded me of what Mayor Dennison said at the time, "A few hippies and deserters are Toronto's only problem." We all felt that way!

Now dont get me totally wrong.Protest is sometimes needed/valid.However I have zero problem heading down to (inset city) to stop some hippie protest against the government.I.E the red paint throwing hippies.

Why we didnt deal with the Tamil's is beyond me.(Toronto and Ottawa)

X-mo-1979 said:
Why we didnt deal with the Tamil's is beyond me.(Toronto and Ottawa)

Because Federal Liberal Ministers were regular guests at Tamil Tiger fundraisers.
"....including two members of the federal cabinet, Maria Minna, then minister of international cooperation, and Paul Martin, then minister of finance, who was the guest of honour."

Stewart Bell, Cold Terror: How Canada Nurtures and Exports Terrorism Around the World. Mississauga: Wiley Press, 2005, p.71
With Martin, and later, Chretien, as Prime Minister, appeasing a Liberal riding was much more important than fighting terrorism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back