• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Psychological Operation

bravo2

Inactive
Reaction score
I heard that the Canadian Army as a new Psychological Operation unit I was wondering if it was a full time unit and since when it was created. I know that since the 90's temporary unit were created for specific U.N. missions. Does Anybody as comments or information on this subject?

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/English/6_1_1.asp?id=260

Psychological Operations plays with soldiers' minds
Tuesday, September 07, 2004
MONTRÉAL, Quebec â ” ''We have always been doing psychological operations, but not in a planned or permanent fashion,'' says Lieutenant-Colonel Bruno Vanasse, the Canadian Psychological Operations (PSYOPS) Commanding Officer. 

Twenty-four Reservists, mainly from 34 Canadian Brigade Group, underwent six weeks of PSYOPS training this summer at both civilian and military establishments in the Montreal area.

PSYOPS are planned activities designed to influence attitudes and behaviours, affecting the achievement of political and military objectives. The Canadian Psychological Operations capability is the first and only of its kind that exists in the Canadian Forces. The Commander of the Army, Lieutenant-General Rick Hillier, signed the order in November 2003 to develop the Army's PSYOPS capability as part of Land Force Reserve Restructure.

In today's information age, the PSYOPS capability will allow the commander to influence and understand target audiences in the area of operations â “ which is essential to successfully accomplishing the mission. Prior to Summer 2004, officers and non-commissioned members trained for PSYOPS outside the country with our Allies.

Lieutenant-colonel Vanasse says that in the past, members would train with Allies and then deploy on an overseas tour in a PSYOPS position. Upon returning to Canada, a soldier's pertinent experience in PSYOPS was lost once he/she returned to their unit.

In collaboration with individual units within 34 Canadian Brigade Group, students' training priority is with the PSYOPS capability. As such, training and development in PSYOPS will continue throughout the year and each student is prepared to participate in and support CF operations in the near future.

''The challenges are exciting and rewarding for everyone involved,'' said Major Colin Robinson, Chief Instructor, Canadian Psychological Operations.

The Canadian Forces and the British Army arranged to have the course brought to Canada. Personnel from the 15th United Kingdom Psychological Operations Group (15th UK PSYOPS Gp), known for their training and PSYOPS development throughout the world, taught the two-week UK Military Psychological Operations (MPOC) course in Montreal, during the month of July 2004.

''The Canadian Forces are highly regarded in the world,'' says Major Simon Bergman of the 15th UK PSYOPS Gp. ''I see this as a privilege to teach these charming, keen soldiers.''

Article and photo by Sgt Cynthia Fontaine

A colleague of mine parades with that unit in Montreal as well as here in Ottawa. He said to get in is basically invitation-only from a member of PSYOPS.

As an American PSYOPer, I was wondering if anyone had a website for the our Canadian brethren.  For any of you who are especially conniving, I would recommend PSYOP... >:D

You'll find that this is not a Trade; it is a Course.  The course is open to any Trade, and Regiments/Units will Course load their own people to take the Crse and then return to the Unit with those skills and perhaps use them on Tour. 

Back