• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question on Brownings and Tactical Holsters

TangoTwoNiner

Inactive
Reaction score
Got a question for all the pistol experts out there.

I'm looking to get a new holster - the issue Bianchi holsters are not very good as many people know. I've done a search on previous threads and while the issue of say BlackHawk and Eagle tac rigs were mentioned, my pending question was never addressed.

Since the Browning is not a "widely" used pistol, it rarely shows up on the list of weapon options for new tactical thigh rigs (Beretta's SIG's etc are everywhere...) but as I understand it, the Browning is similar in size to a Colt 45/M1911. For those of you have your own rigs, what rigs do you know work with the Browning and is it a reasonable assumption that a rig that fits the Colt (or other large frame pistols like a 92F/G) will work for the Browning?

Thanks for any help with this.

Buy a Safariland 6004.

They make it for the Browning -- they advertise it will not do cocked and locked carry but with a small half moon on the cover it will.

I posted on this bit before.

I urge people to buy a good holster rather than a passable one.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I agree that the SafariLand holsters are better but there is also a price issue as well. I had also looked at the BlackHawk SERPA holsters and they are comparable to the SafariLand.

It's a shame that the Bianchi issue ones have to be such awful pieces of kit. Still the TT one is better than what I have now.

KevinB said:
I urge people to buy a good holster rather than a passable one.

KevinB,
Do you have any more recommendations, because I was going to buy the TT one.

They dont make a CQC for the BHP, I dont particularily like non molded holsters - the nylon stretches and and is not as smooth as molded.

TT and others are not bad holsters -- the 6004 is about $90 USD less if you go direct to SL and get a MIL/LE discount...

The US Army is currently transitioning to 6004's across the board due to issues with the Bianchi -- and it is made for the M9 -- so Imagine the stupidity of whomever ordered a M9 holster (that is also a POS) for the BHP that is smaller and slimer than the M9  ::)

BladeTech also makes an excellent BHP holster -- for a BHP those are the only two holsters (SL6004 and BladeTech) for the bHP I would recommend --
SL has different models like the 6004 that may be more practical for specific jobs (guys who want a vest mount or belt mount) -- I run my 6004 quite high (only one leg loop and about a inch off my belt line.

I have to go with Kevin on this one. The SafariLand 6004 is by far the best holster out there for what we need it for.

I've seen others fall apart in Kandahar...getting in and out of vehicles, LAVs and Coyotes takes it's toll on them.

I'd rather spend the money upfront than have to pay for 2 holsters during one tour.

The issued holster is for troops who work out of an office....period. They don't require a no non-sense pistol strap, and have lots of time to fiddle around trying to draw it from the case.

Mine held up quite nicely....and I'll continue to use it in the future.

Regards

Another great thing about Safariland....Diamondback Tactical sells a MOLLE panel so you can attach the 6004 to your vest/chest rig.  As long as you have PALS webbing. Great for vehicles.  Alot of guys were using the Blackhawk version(CQC) on their vests in A-Stan.

I'm giving the SERPA Tactical a try when I don't have my Surfire mounted on my issued BHP,so far the holster has exceeded any expectation and I have not run into any of the so called issues with it's design. The double strap system and moulded leg plate are by far the most comfortable system I have used..way better that the 6004 series for comfort. The BHP locks in very securely,during a series of retention drills the pistol could not be removed,even by those familiar with the system . I've worn it for 12 hours straight with  aloaded pistol without a shift in position of the rig,and in vehicles it rides very well.I even can climb in and out of a LAV III or GWagon without it getting hung up. I,m bringing to Khandahar (along with a HSGI rig for the light mounted if needed). The CQC MOLLE adaptor works for this version as well giving a degree of flexibility allowing the holster to be worn on the leg,belt or mounted on my rig.

MG34 said:
I'm giving the SERPA Tactical a try when I don't have my Surfire mounted on my issued BHP,so far the holster has exceeded any expectation and I have not run into any of the so called issues with it's design.

So BH does make a rig that will take the BHP? I thought that they didn't make a rig specifically for the BHP. What size holster did you get? Same as the M1911/Colt 45?

Thanks for the great advice so far. I've received better intel here than anywhere else on the web.

The 1911 SERPA Tactical will fit the BHP very securely,as inded will just about any 1911 moulded or nylon holster.

We had a couple guys retro the 6004 to a CQC/Serpa - but they foudn the double leg strap a disaster so they keep the 6004 leg setup (they did not like the shroud on the 6004)

However do to a USASOC/joint unit testing the SERPA that failed it we where recently told that the only US DOS approved leg/thigh holster is the 6004 - and as soon as more come in it will be the only one allowed for use.

Apparently the CQC SERPA locking system seizes in dust/dirt...

KevinB: I've heard of that too,but as far as I've seen there have been only a couple cases of that happening. There is plenty of room in the locking mech to allow crap and such to fall out,now if you are rolling around in gravel and suchmaybe. Hell I've jammed up a 6004 as well (combination of gravel and mud),so there are no sacred cows out there as far a holsters go. I'll be abusing the hell out of it prior to my trip to KAF, I'm not into deploying with crap either. As it is the RSM doesn't even want to see me anymore as myself and a few others have been beating the kit issues on him and the CO daily for the last 3 months. :)

Kev, is the company going to start issuing 6004's? It would be about time that they sunk some money into decent kit. I know I saw the Peruvians and Namibs with them.

Yup -- they went to the RSO with a shitty hadji holster and he spazzed -- He said buy the fucking 6004 or you dont get guns...

Come back and find out....  ;D

- I understand they where ordered - but like everythign I would not hold my breath.

Back