• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

questions about the elevation adjustment on gen-2 C79

Britney Spears

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Am I correct to assume that the upgraded elevation adjustment/sight base on the new C79 sight is the same type used in the American M145 MGO?

Is it any good? Presumably since the Americans use it in large numbers, it must be at least a servicable design, what with them being a real army and all.

Should they have gone with an internal reticle adjustment? What is the advantage of having the whole sight move on elevation instead of just a reticle?

I require this information for the sole purpose of impressing the boys at the mess.

Actually the Gen 4 / Gen5 mount is the base for the C79A2
The only diff from the Gen4 is the steel wingnuts on thr Gen5.

The Gen4/5 have a spring that applies upward force on the scope so it does not lose zero as easily.

The US M145 uses the picatinny clicker as an attachment instead of the two wingnuts on the C79/C79A2 - the clicker (same on the US issue M68 Aimpoint CCO mount) is a one screw system that goes to a preset toque setting and then will click past not tightening further.

The US has started to report problems with the M145 fleet (gee I never would have guessed ;D) and many are being pahsed out by RFI ACOG's - the problem cited have been the mounts and the loss of zero.

There are no real advantages in a combat scope for external elevation or windage - the idea that you woudl chnage you sights while in a firefight is ludicrous - this "requirment" was built in by tgt shooters - rifle team fags who did not see the teams as a groundign for combat markmanship on to bigger and better things - but simply as a old boys club to get away and shoot.

[/rant off]

How does having an external adjustment mechanism facilitate the changing of sights?

adjustment of sights  - the knobs are external and thus easily moved by the shooter.

Internal adjustments typically have covered adjustments and are smaller.

Hey Kevin, did you see the new magnifier concept form eotech at the shot show? Seemed like a good idea, as long as they can perfect the mount/dismount operation. I'm not too sure about the reticle though, my only experience is with the c79.

Yeah both EOETCH and AIMPOINT have magnifiers - part and parcel of the E-COS sight trial from USSOC - trying to compete with the TA31 ACOG.

Looks neat - I have one on order for my EOTECH - I am still unconvinced and think a mix of scope woudl work better (soem EOTECH soem TA31 ACOG)

Back