• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCR Special Service Force Commando

foduquette

Inactive
Reaction score
1785_1.JPG

Hi,
I found this pic on Ebay site, during i search info about SSF Red Devil. It's the patch about this Unit?
Thanks again!
Frank

Patch worn by the ACE mobile force.....

The photo shows a Special Service Flash of the SSF which was in existence from the mid '70's to mid 90's in Petawawa, which became 2 CMBG.

It is a photo of the sleeve of a DEU uniform of a Cpl of the Royal Canadian Regiment, probably of the 1st Bn.

1st SSF was known by many as the "Devil's Brigade" and was a joint US and Canadian unit.  It was a idea though up by the British, but before the unit was formed, the British withdrew from participation.   FSSF was formed to attack German 'Heavy Water' Plants in Norway, but never did.  They took part in the attack on Kiska Island in the Aleutians, but the Japanese had already left.  They were almost disbanded in the US, while they were in Vermont, but their Comd was persuasive enough to keep them active.  They went on to fight their way through Italy, and into Southern France.  They were disbanded in Menton, France and many of the Canadians returned to their original Units or went into the 1st Can Para Bn.  

The Canadian Airborne Regiment Colours perpetuated the Battle Honours of both the First Special Service Force and 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion.  Today, those Battle Honours are perpetuated by both the JTF and CSOR.

geo said:
Patch worn by the ACE mobile force.....

No, below is the (pocket) insignia worn by Canadian troops designated for AMF(L), Allied Command Europe (ACE) Mobile Force, Land.

The Canada Flag would have been worn for a period of time by members who were part of AMF(L) in the '70's and '80's.  As this person was wearing the SSF flash, it is not likely that he would have been wearing it for any other reason.  Various units within the SSF at this time were tasked to AMF(L). 

Members of other units may have worn the Cdn Flag for other reasons, such as a Foreign Posting, but then they would not have worn a Bde Patch.

When 1 Cdn Div exisited, members of 4 CMBG, 5 Bde, and units in Gagetown, wore the Red Patch, but no Cdn Flag.

first special service force was known as the devils brigade
            scoty b

Something I don't get, why would  an RCR be wearing an
SSF patch?.I was there at the formation of this organization
and, at least then, the Airborne Regt was the infantry
component of the SSF.
                            Regards

time expired said:
component of the SSF.
                             Regards

I guess you forgot all about 1 RCR down in London then.  ;D

time expired said:
component of the SSF.
                             Regards
There were quite a few units that contributed to the SSF - not just the CAR

This was a dress uniform of a Mcpl from 1RCR when all of the Canadian forces wore the same green dress uniform (pre-DEU). 1RCR was a part of the SSF and also held the AMF role. I was posted there in London at the time.

I wore the SSF badge as well in the early 80's, I was in 2 Service batallion. I believe most of the units in Pet at the time wore that patch and also the Jump smock, which at the time was cool and everything, but looking back i wonder why all of us "legs" wore that jump smock.

We also took to wearing coloured sweatshirts under those smocks. We wore Yellow...2CER wore Red, Airborne Moroon, etc.

Gnplummer :cdn:

The early 80's in London we wore royal blue t-shirt under the smock with highly polished jump boots; nice looking boot, but would give me achilles tendonitis if I wore 'em for a length of time.

Still have my old jump smock from 1RCR in London, can't get an arm into it anymore, but it's a good conversation piece on poker nights.

You are all right ,I stand corrected.The "paint by numbers" jacket
was slightly different to the jump smock issued to the AB Regt
that was why us "vets" from Edmonton held on to ours even after
colours had almost faded.I thought it quite peculiar that the CF
issued a cam jacket that was only to be worn in garrison.
                                    Regards

time expired said:
I thought it quite peculiar that the CF issued a cam jacket that was only to be worn in garrison.

Peculiar ???  Wasn't it though
Fella who thought it up shoulda been condemned to wearing it (and the boots) for the rest of his life.

time expired said:
You are all right ,I stand corrected.The "paint by numbers" jacket
was slightly different to the jump smock issued to the AB Regt
that was why us "vets" from Edmonton held on to ours even after
colours had almost faded.I thought it quite peculiar that the CF
issued a cam jacket that was only to be worn in garrison.
                                    Regards

Actually the jump smock was issued to all members of the SSF not just the AB Regt. The garrison jacket came much later.

On a side note to all this: My wife's uncle kept jump smock and let his nephew have it {teenage boys and army stuff!!??} Well, that cousin is now a pilot and no room for army stuff.  Enter my youngest teenage son wanting army stuff {go figure}:low and behold, out comes this jump smock with US and Can jump wings, rank, flag, and nametag...needless to say, I told him it was a peice of nostalgia.
Regards, BYTD  :army:

Back