• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-Joining the Reserves?

• Thread starter Thread starter Army_brat99
  • Start date Start date
A

Army_brat99

Hey there,

I've been reading the threads in this forum for ages now, but only recently just became a member.  I'm a civilian, but would definitely consider myself "current" on military problems, challenges, equipment, and current affairs.

I do have a question for all of you currently in the CF though, Reg or Reserve.

I joined the Army Reserve when I was 16yrs old.  I "voluntarily removed" myself midway through our QL2 course because my parents were getting a divorce, and my grades in school were in the shits.  I know it sounds like some sissy-hearted excuse, but at the time I figured my priorities laid elsewhere, in terms of family and school.

Here is where my question gets tricky.

I filled out my paperwork with one Sgt, and returned all of my kit to ASU.  I submitted all of my release paperwork, got all of the signatures I needed, and everything was peachy.  However, A YEAR AND 3 MONTHS LATER...a MCpl with the unit called me to inform me I had been AWOL for the past year and 3 months.  I tried to go in and explain things to them, but was met with a relative resentment (Perhaps they all thought I was legitimately AWOL, and thats why I had such an unproductive, cold response from them?) - and nothing was achieved at all.

6 yrs later, I want in.  The Forces are in desperate need of people as it is, especially if they're going ahead with this...*ahem*..."Peace Brigade" idea (Which is full of flaws, as I'm sure you all know).  My life is on track, I've got everything organized, and I've matured a lot and grown a lot since I was 16yrs old.  (21yrs old now.)  I had a good attitude before, but now I think I have the *right*attitude, if that makes any sense...and I'd like a 2nd shot of it. 

Anybody have any thoughts as to whether or not I'd be allowed back in, or what the policy is on this?

A VR Doesn't close the door to getting back in by anymeans, The recruiters usually understand that things happen and mistakes are made, or in your case, you were 16 and your priorities were somewhere else at the time. It will take you allot longer to get back in however if accepted, you will need a VFS (Verification of former service) and that can take a really long time to get, mine took 6-7 months to come in.

Right now before you start anything, I would check and see if you have any of your paper work that you were given upon release, if you don't, go into a RC and tell them what your plan is and also explain the situation with your old unit about them thinking you were AWOL.
You need to get that cleared up, If you did VR, their will be documents somewhere saying that is what you infact did do.

anyways good luck hope everything works out for you.

Don't worry about you VW, call a CFRC and find out what your next move is.

Back