• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 118 57.8%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 41 20.1%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Journeyman said:
        :facepalm:

You know, all this Pips & Crown garbage started with a Reservist who had the ear of the tribal elders.  I'm seeing a trend.

Maybe if we got rid of the Reserves (or at least the faction fixated on playing dress-up), then perhaps the 'good ideas' would come to a halt and the Army could focus its time, energy, and money on war-fighting.

I know....it's a pretty ****ed-up concept.    :not-again:

:goodpost:  ;D

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
bllusc said:
Is there any talk of major changes to DEU such as colour, Sam Browne belts etc?

Somebody shoot this man before the Good Idea Fairy hears him.

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:
Yes, but they already have copycat Brit rank badges so there was no opportunity for the Aussie version of the pips and crowns clowns to make mischief with scarce taxpayers' dollars.

And rumours are building with respect to RCAF rank badges.  These would be the biggest changes yet in the CF, affecting all ranks (i.e. not just the officers) - quasi-British braid (black and silver) braid for the officers and silver embroidery for NCM rank badges -  silver embroidery for aircrew badges.

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Caution:  :eek:ff topic:

A rumour which persists and which I heard, in a modified version, again, just yesterday evening from an acquaintance who is a retired RCAF member, is that both the RCN and the RCAF want to absorb the so called purple trades ~ Log and C&E Branch (Air) etc ~ by putting all people in RCN and RCAF uniforms into common RCN and RCAF cap badges, too.

Branch identity would be shown by some combination of trade badges, left wings and coloured stripes.

(I have no useful information on this. I questioned a fairly senior RCAF C&E officer about it last year. He replied that he too had heard the rumours, but that, as far as he knew ~ and he thought his position would put him "in the loop" ~ no one at "the top" of the RCAF heap was pushing it. However, he suggested that support for that, and for a reunification of C&E (Air) and AERE into one, single, engineering/technical branch, enjoyed a high level of support in the C&E community.)

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:

A rumour which persists and which I heard, in a modified version, again, just yesterday evening from an acquaintance who is a retired RCAF member, is that both the RCN and the RCAF want to absorb the so called purple trades ~ Log and C&E Branch (Air) etc ~ by putting all people in RCN and RCAF uniforms into common RCN and RCAF cap badges, too.

Branch identity would be shown by some combination of trade badges, left wings and coloured stripes.

(I have no useful information on this. I questioned a fairly senior RCAF C&E officer about it last year. He replied that he too had heard the rumours, but that, as far as he knew ~ and he thought his position would put him "in the loop" ~ no one at "the top" of the RCAF heap was pushing it. However, he suggested that support for that, and for a reunification of C&E (Air) and AERE into one, single, engineering/technical branch, enjoyed a high level of support in the C&E community.)

Perhaps, once again, it is originating in the PMO's office and another of Harper's attempts to appease the long retired RCAF and RCN folk and uphold our "traditions".    >:D

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:

Well, that would be in keeping with past traditional practice in the old RCN and RCAF.  Since we're on a big re-building of tradtions trend at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised  if that does happen.  Frankly nothing surprises me anymore on this front.  If you had told me when I first joined that we would once again be wearing separate uniforms, have executive curls/pips and crowns or use the royal titles we lost in 1968, I would have called the soothsayer crazy.

It is interesting to note though that some of the biggest opponents to common RCN/RCAF cap badges are the respective Branch mafias, claiming that Branch identity will be lost.  However, nary a peep was heard when all Army colonels went to a common badge a few years ago....

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Clearly a near half-century of Canadian tradition is not enough.  We need British symbols in order to have any pride.  Let's just get to the chase - tear down that foolish new flag and get the Union Jack back up.

::)

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
MCG said:
..... tear down that foolish new flag and get the Union Jack back up.
That way all Canadians can share in the 'joy' that the Army's had inflicted upon it.

MAJONES

Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Had some general through a few months ago for a town hall.  He was quite emphatic that we will be retaining the current RCAF ranks, but will be changing the slip ons for operational dress.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
George Wallace said:
Perhaps, once again, it is originating in the PMO's office and another of Harper's attempts to appease the long retired RCAF and RCN folk and uphold our "traditions".    >:D
At a lower cost than buying shiny new metal objects, too!

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
MAJONES said:
Had some general through a few months ago for a town hall.  He was quite emphatic that we will be retaining the current RCAF ranks, but will be changing the slip ons for operational dress.
Like the Army Generals who emphatically stated we would not (nor wanted to) return to pips & crowns in months leading to the announcement?

Rifleman62

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Let's also get rid of O'Canada and have The Maple Leaf Forever as the National Anthem while we are at it. Keep the flag though (it goes with the tune!)

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
MCG said:
Clearly a near half-century of Canadian tradition is not enough.  We need British symbols in order to have any pride.  Let's just get to the chase - tear down that foolish new flag and get the Union Jack back up.

::)

Calm down.  Your blatant anti-British slant is embarrassing

(Standing by for muting in three, two, one....)

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:

This came up when Comd RCAF's ADC (a Log O) showed up in a flying suit for a visit with a Log "half wing" badge where the wings would be.  She had to explain that every trade in the RCAF has their device on the DEU and hat while, like the RAF, the RAAF only have trade badges if they are aircrew (and medical folks, with the Caduceus on tunic lapels and slip-ons). 

The RAAF Log, Admin, Engineering, etc. folks didn't seem to mind that they didn't look any different than each other, and asked me why we (the RCAF) cared so much.

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Pusser said:
Well, that would be in keeping with past traditional practice in the old RCN and RCAF.  Since we're on a big re-building of tradtions trend at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised  if that does happen.  Frankly nothing surprises me anymore on this front.  If you had told me when I first joined that we would once again be wearing separate uniforms, have executive curls/pips and crowns or use the royal titles we lost in 1968, I would have called the soothsayer crazy.

It is interesting to note though that some of the biggest opponents to common RCN/RCAF cap badges are the respective Branch mafias, claiming that Branch identity will be lost.  However, nary a peep was heard when all Army colonels went to a common badge a few years ago....

It will be nice to see our Sea Log Officers (who are a different beast from the Army and Air Loggies) wearing the Naval Operations Badge. They are integral to the smooth operations of the RCN and should never have been cleaved off.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
FSTO said:
It will be nice to see our Sea Log Officers (who are a different beast from the Army and Air Loggies) wearing the Naval Operations Badge. They are integral to the smooth operations of the RCN and should never have been cleaved off.

And not the NCMs ?

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Halifax Tar said:
And not the NCMs ?

BIG OOPS! I should have said Sea Logistics Branch!

Typical MARS officer, you should know how we roll. ;D

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I certainly hope this doesn't grow into an ugly monstrosity like the Army Pips & Crowns one did.  :pop:

That thing just became more and more painful to look at every day that passed.

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
recceguy said:
I certainly hope this doesn't grow into an ugly monstrosity like the Army Pips & Crowns one did.  :pop:

That thing just became more and more painful to look at every day that passed.

"Do I salute the guy wearing the BIG Crown or is it the guy wearing the little Crown?"      :salute: