• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 40 19.7%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
E.R. Campbell said:
Looks like they had belts, at one time, anyway ...

1495.jpg

Aside from Canada flashes and badges, think of the cost savings when we just order x amount from RAF suppliers!  >:D

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Dimsum said:
Aside from Canada flashes and badges, think of the cost savings when we just order x amount from RAF suppliers!  >:D

Silly boy......you know they will be manufactured in Canada therefore cost how much more.....than ordering from RAF suppliers...... >:D

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Jim Seggie said:
Silly boy......you know they will be manufactured in Canada therefore cost how much more.....than ordering from RAF suppliers...... >:D

I know.  :-[

We'd have to make the garment tags bilingual anyway.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Thinking of the 'new' pattern RCAF mess kit that came out recently...I'm still going with tunics w/belts and the like.

And the re-birth of the forge cap in DEU >:D

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Eye In The Sky said:
Thinking of the 'new' pattern RCAF mess kit that came out recently...I'm still going with tunics w/belts and the like.

And the re-birth of the forge cap in DEU >:D

Yep.  Unveiling it at the Battle of Britain ceremony was (to me) a bit of a giveaway, as opposed to Remembrance Day or next July 1st.

aequitas

Reaction score
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=886239

Minister Nicholson unveils new uniform for the Royal Canadian Air Force
The Honourable Rob Nicholson, PC, QC, MP for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence and Lieutenant-General Yvan Blondin, Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), unveiled the new RCAF uniform today at the Battle of Britain ceremony in Ottawa.

The new uniform’s inspiration, is drawn from pre-unification rank insignia while maintaining the modern elements and terminology familiar to serving members today. The insignia for most ranks will be recognizable as the symbols that air force personnel have worn for nearly half a century.

In recognition of the 90th anniversary of the founding of the RCAF this year, rank insignia and national shoulder titles for both officers and non-commissioned members will return to a distinctive pearl-grey stitching, the original colour worn by RCAF non-commissioned members until 1968. Dress tunic buttons will not change in design but their colour will switch from gold to silver. General officers headdress piping (embroidery) will also change from gold-coloured to pearl-grey.

Quick Facts
As part of the Government’s ongoing restoration of the Canadian Armed Forces’ distinctive service cultures and proud history, the RCAF will now wear a new uniform, enhancing the identity of Canada’s youngest military branch.
The one change will see is the new RCAF rank title of “Aviator” replace the use of “Private,” “Airman” and “Airwoman”. It will apply to newly enlisted non-commissioned members of the RCAF.
The “Aviator” rank insignia will be represented by a single stitched propeller on the uniforms of RCAF personnel.
The propeller insignia will be awarded to RCAF personnel upon graduation from occupational specialty training with 30-months of qualifying service.
The RCAF will maintain its current rank terminology for officers.
Starting April 1, 2015, RCAF personnel will begin to exhibit their new colours as their uniforms are tailored to incorporate the new accoutrements.
All RCAF members will be dressed in their new colours by the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain in September, 2015.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Note to the Info-machine:  would it kill you to include links to photos when the news is "look at the new x"?

aequitas

Reaction score
Thanks for the sound, non sarcastic advice! I have been working on it the site is not letting me upload the poster. I have been trying. If you have it please feel free.

aequitas

Reaction score
Ok my apologies people I have tried several times to get the photos uploaded but it just won't work. They are all on the RCAF Facebook page for viewing.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Then thanks for trying.

Also, this isn't the only case of "look at this" with no pix linked I've seen, so it's not a "you" issue, it appears to be an issue higher up in the Info-machine chain re:  including links to photos with news releases and backgrounders. 

cavalryman

Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Looking at LGen Blondin's picture, I see the RCAF opted for the deluxe "belt-and-suspenders" package for general officer DEU tunics, with new-old Air Marshall stripes on the cuffs while retaining the old-new CF leafs on the shoulder straps.  :facepalm:
https://www.facebook.com/rcaf1924

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
At least the "new uniform" description seems untrue, but it is still unfortunate to see that we have found yet another place to waste a million or more dollars while operational capability and readiness are being actively attritted for lack of money.

aequitas

Reaction score
milnews.ca said:
Then thanks for trying.

Also, this isn't the only case of "look at this" with no pix linked I've seen, so it's not a "you" issue, it appears to be an issue higher up in the Info-machine chain re:  including links to photos with news releases and backgrounders.

Rgr, i am on my phone and the pictures only save as jpeg the error msg keeps says jpeg aren't auth. And provides a list of auth files.  Can't convert on my phone. Anyways off topic.

Barring the fact this is another waste of money. Money we dont have alot of these days, I personally think it looks better. Not sure about the whole calling a pte, an aviator that's different. Wonder if it will actually catch on.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
aequitas said:
Rgr, i am on my phone and the pictures only save as jpeg the error msg keeps says jpeg aren't auth. And provides a list of auth files.  Can't convert on my phone. Anyways off topic.
My question was more like:  why can't "the system" include a link to where the pix are in the news release?  Flickr, Facebook, wherever.  I realize you've been trying to get 'er done sharing here - thanks.

aequitas said:
Barring the fact this is another waste of money. Money we dont have alot of these days, I personally think it looks better. Not sure about the whole calling a pterrorist,  an aviator that's different. Wonder if it will actually catch on.
Interbranch rivalry is one thing, but calling RCAF Aviators "pterrorists" is going a bit pfar, no?  ;D  Gotta love that auto-complete.

aequitas

Reaction score
milnews.ca said:
My question was more like:  why can't "the system" include a link to where the pix are in the news release?  Flickr, Facebook, wherever.  I realize you've been trying to get 'er done sharing here - thanks.
Interbranch rivalry is one thing, but calling RCAF Aviators "pterrorists" is going a bit pfar, no?  ;D  Gotta love that auto-complete.

Yea I don't know where that came from.. auto correct at its best. I fixed it but you caught it first

TB

Reaction score
On the picture, Blondin doesn't look happy with the uniform change.

Container

Reaction score
It seems fine- the changes don't seem that bad.

Are they doing like the Army did and issuing everyone a second jacket?

I cant for the life of me figure out what the difference in my two DEU jackets is. Why not just update the new flashes and patches on the old jackets or am I missing something significant?

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
TB said:
On the picture, Blondin doesn't look happy with the uniform change.
He's just having withdrawal symptoms; someone snatched away his leather jacket and Snoopy-as-fighter-pilot leather flying helmet.  :nod: