• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reinstating the Alberta Provincial Police?

Inspir

Inactive
Reaction score
This may have been discussed in the forum before but I did not find anything on the search function.

It has come into discussion in my CJ class about the possible reinstatement of the Alberta Provincial Police, and subsequently the removal of the RCMP from Alberta. In discussions with other police officers and the Alberta Sheriffs department, they say that this will most likely occur in the next ten to fifteen years. Hence the Sheriffs department, through the Alberta Solicitor General, would then become the APP.

I am looking for opinions on this matter. Especially from current or former police officers. Do you think it would be practical to reinstate the APP?

An old article from the Fraser Institute makes for some interesting arguments:
http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared/readmore.asp?sNav=nr&id=562

A new paper Policing Alberta: An Analysis of the Alternatives to the Federal Provision of Police Services, released today by The Fraser Institute, recommends that the province undertake a thorough review of the costs and benefits of restoring a provincial police force in Alberta.

As part of an on-going public debate over the restoration of provincial police forces, the authors outline several options for police services, particularly outside of Calgary and Edmonton. Among the alternatives to be considered, the province can:

• Maintain the status quo whereby the federal police (the RCMP) continue to provide police services for the province.
• Replace the federal police in all capacities with a provincially administered force.
• Replace the federal police in communities with a population greater than 15,000 with a provincially administered force.
• Replace some, or all, federal police detachments in rural areas with several regional forces based in larger population centers.

Barry Cooper, co-author of the paper and director of the Institute’s Alberta Policy Research Centre, lays out the historical context of policing in Alberta and points out that the province reluctantly dissolved its own police force in 1932 (established after the withdrawal of federal services in 1917) to be replaced by a federal force.

“The federal government promised to deliver more for less. Whether the federal police delivered on that promise remains to be seen,” says Cooper. “What they unquestionably gained was something approaching a provincial policing monopoly – except, of course, in Ontario and Quebec which retain their own police services to this day.”

The existing arrangements regarding federal involvement in policing in Alberta appear to be financially advantageous because federal taxpayers pay a share of the costs of such policing (30 percent for communities with populations less than 15,000 and 10 percent for communities greater than 15,000).

However, the authors point out that the cost of federal provision of police services in the province is more a function of the population of the communities policed and associated criminal activities than it is of the frugality of the RCMP. Moreover, a comparison with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) clearly indicates that a provincially administered police force delivers services at a lower cost than the federal police.

Cooper also points out that federal policing deprives Albertans of input into and control over policing in the province. In addition, the federal police appear less capable than municipal departments in Alberta of maintaining current levels of spending, such as in the area of officer salaries.

Replacing the federal police with a provincial police force

The provincial government has two major options. First, it could recruit and train its own police force and simply replace the federal police with this new force while maintaining the current police act. This alternative would have two initial effects: a revived Alberta Provincial Police force would patrol rural areas with populations under 2,500; and municipal governments that wish to do so could contract with the provincial (rather than the federal) government for policing services.

“This alternative would maximize the influence of Albertans on policing practices in the province. At the same time, it would extinguish the federal provision of policing in the province,” says Cooper.

If the provincial government were not prepared to remove the RCMP completely, a preliminary step would be to allow communities with populations above 15,000 to contract with a new provincial force rather than with the federal police. Regional police forces would amalgamate urban departments and surrounding rural areas and small towns.

The result would be a net decline in the federal provision of police services and a net increase in provincial provision of these services. A further benefit would be to provide direct access to smaller communities of the more sophisticated crime units available in urban centers. It would also reduce costs by lowering administrative overhead and duplication.

Cooper also points out that a reduced federal police presence in all the provinces would enable the RCMP to focus more on genuine federal issues: organized crime, internal security, interdiction of illegal immigrants, as well as on major crimes that occur inter-provincially.

In addition to undertaking an extensive and detailed analysis of specific federal police operations around the province, the paper recommends that the province consider additional issues including the role and deployment of special, auxiliary, or deputy constables, and the use of private security firms, particularly where protection of property is concerned.

“Just as with the original presence of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police, the departure of the federal police in 1917, and their subsequent return, any move to replace the existing federal police with a new provincial force in Alberta or anywhere else in the country will involve a complex mixture of political will and economic analysis of costs and benefits,” Cooper states.

Thanks

On this subject, you may want to have a look at New Brunswick.  Back in the 1970's NB went and resurrected their old Provincial Police Force and created the NB Highway Patrol.  It lasted perhaps five years, before it was again disbanded.  I believe that there was problems in the end with funding.  There may have been other problems, but they may be worth a look at for ideas of what may go wrong, or what may be involved with keeping a Provincial Force in operation.  Then you can look at how Ontario and Quebec are maintaining their Forces.

There are a lot more factors involved that simply 'rebadging' the Sherriffs.

The positive aspect to creating an APP would be the ability of the RCMP to reassign their officers to other, undermanned jurisdictions.

The downside would be the transition period as the APP established itself, there would be a steep learning curve, not just within the field force but also to establish the support services like a creditable crime lab or labs, communications backbones, internal security and internal affairs and so on. There would also be the period when the APP would not have any "community" roots as the detachments are stood up, the officers would be operating in a semi vaccum until the local population learned to trust and accept them.

This is not to say establishing an APP is impossible or should not be done, and as for funding, Alberta, of all provinces, has the least to worry about.

We have a pretty good force in the OPP here in ON. They cover most rural areas that are not protected by their own Regional Police force, most major Provincial Highways, and some smaller towns that don't have a force (or contracted it out as a cost saving measure). In a few places (Haldimand County) they ARE the ''Regional Police'', under contract.

Even with that, the RCMP are still here in Ontario, with a Div HQ and dets in all major cities. They look after drugs and selected other federal statutes, usually in cooperation with the OPP and municipal/regional police.

To me, having your own Provincial Police would be a desireable goal for a Province that can afford it and can recruit for it: Alberta would certainly meet those requirements.
~

Cheers

Alberta, money bags indeed. I think when it comes down to financial concerns over re-establishing the Alberta Provincial Police, Alberta would have it covered.

From what I hear the Sheriffs are doing highway patrol in northern Alberta (way north) in cooperation with the RCMP on a pilot program basis. From personal experience I know that the sheriffs department has been hiring ten fold the usual amount of personnel than usual. Could be from regular turnover or preparing for a transition, either way, every policing agency it seems in Canada (especially in Alberta) are having a difficult time recruiting new personnel to replace the baby boomer generation.

Personally, I think that every province/territory should be responsible for providing its own police force. This is not to say that the RCMP would leave provincial policing completely, they would still be available for forensic and technical support. The RCMP would then become more focused on federal investigation, much like the FBI in the USA.

I look forward to scrutiny.

Inspir - happen to live in Lethbridge, do ya?  (As do I now, and also a CJ student.)

From discussing this matter with a certain Traffic Enforcement instructor (aka, DL) - the current status of such an initiative is this.

The Alberta government is running a pilot project concerning the Alberta Sheriff's Department.  As such right now, the idea is to have the ASD replace the Alberta Government's SOB in some services, such as courthouse security and prisoner transport.  Even now, in Lethbridge and Chinook county courthouses, the ASD is slowly taking over the roles that were once filled primarily by the SOB.  That being said, don't think of it as being significant - I believe the Alberta government is simply stripping off one uniform and replacing it with another, as the pay and benefits, and general duties, have not changed.

Also a part of the pilot project is to have the ASD maintain a dedicated traffic section, re:  Highway Patrol.  This is due to the sheer lack of police presence in many parts of rural Alberta, in both northern and southern Alberta.  You may notice Sheriff squadcars operating near Clareshome/Nanton/Barons/Nobleford areas.  (Seen two Sheriff's squadcars in the past week alone).  The reason for this is because although the RCMP does a fairly good job at policing small rural communities, it does not have the manpower to patrol or provide immediate assistance to the real boonies.  As I'm sure you know, Lethbridge RCMP is a fairly small detachment due to the LRPS.  Nanton has its own police service (Who the hell would have thought that, I know) - and Vulcan has an RCMP detachment.  That leaves communities such as Nobleford, Champion, Monarch, Barons, etc, etc. without any permanent police presence at all.  The idea is to have the new ASD provide an increased police presence in these communities, due to the RCMP's manpower shortage to effectively cover these areas.

An idea also floating around about the new ASD is to have a dedicated warrant section, re:  a section dedicated to serving outstanding warrants.  (Don't worry, they won't be wasting their time kicking in your door for unpaid parking tickets.)  Although this idea has been much discussed, not much action had been taken in regards to this.  As you pointed out, the ASD is hiring like mad just to fill the boots of the positions they have open, re:  courthouse security, prisoner transport, and highway patrol.  So the warrant tasking is still very much an idea, although it is an idea the political leadership of Alberta (re: Cenaiko) seems to be moving towards.  Between the Alberta government purchasing 50 + Impala patrol vehicles, as well as 400 + service weapons, this pilot project is definitely gaining some momentum and putting some muscle on.  As to where it goes remains to be seen, although that is the current status of the new ASD pilot project and most likely where it is headed.

If you are interested in learning more, go to the Alberta government website.  Under government jobs, look under law enforcement/regulatory services, and read the job description.  This should give you an even better idea as to what will be expected from members, as well as providing you with a means to apply online.

CBH99 – I’m taking the same program as you at LCC but I’m taking it at a different campus. I plan on heading down there some time.

Do you know if the ASD has the authority to make charges under the Criminal Code of Canada? With there status as “Special Constables” under the Alberta Police Act I am not sure as to whether they can or not.

Just read in the Edmonton Journal the other day that the Alberta Govt had decided against creating an APP and are sticking with the RCMP. Sorry, don't have the date of the article, because its already been recycled. Was within the last week though.

I was able to dig it up....here ya go.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=2e579d69-0d45-42f5-9177-bdcada419340&k=51435

Good article, thanks for posting it.

To add further to the discussion, I believe it is important to identify what the Alberta government pilot project is intended for.

The Alberta Sheriff's Office is not intended to replace the RCMP.  It is not meant to be a provincial police service, although it is meant to provide a uniformed service to areas in which the RCMP is not very visible.  (In southern Alberta, places like Nobleford, Barons, Champion, Granum, etc.)

The Sheriff's Office is placing a priority on the Traffic Section of the organization.  The pilot project intends to use this section as a Highway Patrol, allowing enforcement of the TSA in areas that don't otherwise have much police presence.  Not only this, but the traffic section is also intended to be able to respond to motor vehicle accidents (MVA's) more quickly in isolated rural areas, while awaiting support from the closest support base.  (Whether its police, fire, or EMS).

The other purpose of the dedicated Traffic Section, in addition to Highway Patrol, is mainly more eyes on Alberta rural highways.  The amount of illegal contraband that comes up through the US-Canada border (Coutts alone is outstanding) - in addition to the contraband that is trafficked mainly from BC and headed East - is quite large.  By having highly mobile, and armed, special constables patrolling the rural areas of Alberta, the provincial law enforcement body as a whole (Both municipal and rural) have an extra tool in their arsenal when it comes to tracking and intercepting illegal contraband and criminals.

As per my previous post, the Sheriff's Office is also taking over duties from the Security Operations Branch of the Alberta government.  This includes VIP protection, courthouse security, prisoner transport.  There is also an idea to develop a dedicated Warrant Section, that would focus strictly on apprehending suspects with outstanding warrants.  However, right now the focus is on the Highway Section, and courthouse matters.

**  I apologize.  I am exhausted while writing this, and I'm sure my writing quality tonight is poor.  Just trying to clarify that the Sheriff's Office is NOT intended to be a provincial police service, but rather a pilot project by the Alberta government to distribute armed special constables to rural Alberta in an attempt to 'tighten up' law enforcement services in those areas.**

Inspir, sorry for not answering that second question of yours.  (As stated, exhausted right now).

Yes, special constables can make charges under the C.C. 

Members of the ASD/ASO, like many other special constables, are considered to be peace officers, and therefore can lay charges under the C.C.  (I know that is a broad statement, I would go into further detail but you seem to already have a bit of an education in regards to this, in addition to me being exhausted.)

CBH99 said:
The Sheriff's Office is placing a priority on the Traffic Section of the organization.  The pilot project intends to use this section as a Highway Patrol, allowing enforcement of the TSA in areas that don't otherwise have much police presence.  Not only this, but the traffic section is also intended to be able to respond to motor vehicle accidents (MVA's) more quickly in isolated rural areas, while awaiting support from the closest support base.  (Whether its police, fire, or EMS).

The other purpose of the dedicated Traffic Section, in addition to Highway Patrol, is mainly more eyes on Alberta rural highways.  The amount of illegal contraband that comes up through the US-Canada border (Coutts alone is outstanding) - in addition to the contraband that is trafficked mainly from BC and headed East - is quite large.  By having highly mobile, and armed, special constables patrolling the rural areas of Alberta, the provincial law enforcement body as a whole (Both municipal and rural) have an extra tool in their arsenal when it comes to tracking and intercepting illegal contraband and criminals.

Much of what you've listed here is what most people would probably consider police work.  I wonder if this is the first time in Canada the term "sheriff" has been used to describe what are essentially cops?  Creeping Americanism, or am I just ignorant of the realities of provincial sherrifs?

(We have sheriffs in New Brunswick, but their role is related to the court system [transporting prisoners, courtroom functions, etc.]  It's only recently that they've started dressing vaguely like police officers.)

If I remember correctly, in Saskatchewan the Sheriff was an Officer of the Court.  He had more or less the same responsibilities as a By-Law Officer would as well as Court Room  duties and responsibilities.  Not really a LEO.

I don't think they are considered much different here in Manitoba..

http://www.solgen.gov.ab.ca/security_services/sheriffs.aspx explains what the Alberta Sherrifs do. I work with some of them as an Aide-de-Camp. The group who provide legisltature security and security/drive for the Lt Gov were redesignated as sherrifs recently. According to one of the fellows I work with, its an amalgamation of a few former roles with the addition of traffic enforcement. I don't know any more than that, but I do know that the ones I work with through the Lt Gov office cringe when I greet them with "howdy sherrif".  ;D

rogsco said:

From there: "What is Executive Security?  This unit is responsible for the personal protection of the Premier, his family, cabinet ministers, MLAs and other dignitaries."

From what?  I find it very surprising that a premier's family (or any of the others mentioned) would need protection.  Has there been some kind of incident in the past that triggered this?

Its not a matter of waiting for an incident to occur, before placing security around the premier of the wealthiest province in Canada.  Its just common sense, and politically responsible, to provide protection for political leaders, especially those in power.

On a side note, remember when someone got so close to premier Ralph Klein to smash a pie into his face?  What if that had been a shank to the kidney instead?  Waiting for an incident to occur before providing security to a political leader is just, for lack of a better phrase, nonsense.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically Neil, but - people ask the same question you do, then wonder why there wasn't security present when something does actually happen.

CBH99 said:
On a side note, remember when someone got so close to premier Ralph Klein to smash a pie into his face?  What if that had been a shank to the kidney instead?  Waiting for an incident to occur before providing security to a political leader is just, for lack of a better phrase, nonsense.

Do you feel that nobody should be able to get near the Premier, then?

It's not a matter of no one getting to close to the Premier; it’s a matter of protection through pre-planning and preparedness. Do you not think wherever the Premier goes there is planning involved to make sure he gets there safe, and when he gets there he remains safe? Every Premier in Canada has a close protection program for them and their families. This especially makes sense in Alberta since he runs the richest province in Canada, and is a calky SOB who has a tendency to piss a lot of people off.

Its going to happen.  For a number of reasons some of which follow

1) IIRC the contract with the RCMP runs out in 2011.

2) Alberta is deivergent on a number of Federal/Provincial issues and does not want its provincial police to enforce certain laws.

Back