• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remains found at Kamloops residential school 'not an isolated incident,' Indigenous experts and leaders warn

The Canadian Museum of Human Rights has a good background piece on the subject of slavery in BNA:

Slavery in British North America

Slavery continued after the British conquest of New France in 1763. The territory was eventually renamed British North America, and Black enslaved people came to replace Indigenous enslaved people. Compared to the United States, enslaved people made up a much smaller proportion of the population in British North America. This means that some of the worst traits of slavery in America, such as the employment of overseers and the horrible practice of forcing enslaved people to reproduce, did not happen in what is now Canada. It would be wrong, however, to suggest that enslaved people in British North America were well‐treated. The very nature of slavery meant that its victims were stripped of their basic human rights and exploited. Most wills from the time treated enslaved people as nothing more than property, passing on ownership of human beings the same as they would furniture, cattle or land.5 Defiant or troublesome enslaved people were often severely punished. Physical and sexual abuse was always a very real threat.

Talk about glossing over the slavery by First Nation for thousands of years. When the HBC men asked the Cree who the other FN's where, they called the Dene "The Slaves" as that is the group they raided the most for slaves. They also called the other First Nations "Dogs"

Talk about glossing over the slavery by First Nation for thousands of years. When the HBC men asked the Cree who the other FN's where, they called the Dene "The Slaves" as that is the group they raided the most for slaves. They also called the other First Nations "Dogs"
Actually there is quite a body of work on pre colonial slavery. A bit of a different beast but a facsinating subject and varied from culture to culture. The Haida apparently were quite known for slavery and it being hereditary in nature. Also many native cultures participated in slave trading when Europeans brought their brand of slavery to the americas.

I was talking about the link that D&B provided.

Dude.... you have no idea how to attract 'guilt funding', do you? :)

One of the better reconciliation programs I've seen recently is the artifact repatriation program being run by the Royal BC Museum. They ask local First Nations if they'd like their art back, which was taken many years ago from remote villages on the coast (ostensibly to ensure that it survived).

Some communities say 'no, please keep it becausee you have great facilities to store and display it, but thanks for asking us.' And they wind up building good longer term relationships that they can build on to facilitate sharing historical treasures back and forth.

I think I have reached maximum capacity of "The noble First Nations living in harmony before contact". As my Persian friend says "They only been invaded once?"

Dude.... you have no idea how to attract 'guilt funding', do you? :)

One of the better reconciliation programs I've seen recently is the artifact repatriation program being run by the Royal BC Museum. They ask local First Nations if they'd like their art back, which was taken many years ago from remote villages on the coast (ostensibly to ensure that it survived).

Some communities say 'no, please keep it becausee you have great facilities to store and display it, but thanks for asking us.' And they wind up building good longer term relationships that they can build on to facilitate sharing historical treasures back and forth.
I heard of something similar about Inuit art and sculptures in Regina maybe? But basically they offered to return the art to the Inuit communities and the overwhelming response was to keep it so other people could see it. That it would get more exposure there.

I think I have reached maximum capacity of "The noble First Nations living in harmony before contact". As my Persian friend says "They only been invaded once?"
I’m not sure that is something common outside of Hollywood or left wing non native types.

I’m not sure that is something common outside of Hollywood or left wing non native types.
I've seen this sacrificial stone in the museum in Mexico City. It was in use for hundreds of years and likely has a bigger body count than the 8th Air Force:

Human sacrifice in Aztec culture​

When the Aztecs sacrificed people to Huitzilopochtli (the god with warlike aspects) the victim would be placed on a sacrificial stone.[30] The priest would then cut through the abdomen with an obsidian or flint blade.[31] The heart would be torn out still beating and held towards the sky in honor to the Sun-God. The body would then be pushed down the pyramid where the Coyolxauhqui stone could be found. The Coyolxauhqui Stone recreates the story of Coyolxauhqui, Huitzilopochtli's sister who was dismembered at the base of a mountain, just as the sacrificial victims were.[32] The body would be carried away and either cremated or given to the warrior responsible for the capture of the victim. He would either cut the body in pieces and send them to important people as an offering, or use the pieces for ritual cannibalism. The warrior would thus ascend one step in the hierarchy of the Aztec social classes, a system that rewarded successful warriors.[33]

I have heard it for years out here from all sorts, pretty much all whites of both sexes and every class. I did a lot of FN consultation and I can count on one hand and have spare fingers for the times I have heard a FN person say it. Most of the FN people are oblivious of how bad treatment could be on non-native in a similar time, which I get, they were wrapped up in their own trauma. I am fairly forgiving of my ancestors up until the beginning of the 20th century. After that time period, things improved rapidly for poor/discriminated non-FN people, but the FN's were totally screwed by the Indian Act, Indian Agents and bureaucrats, along with the PC class of the time supporting bad decisions. I swear most people information they have on FN's is from Disney, which is also where they seem to have gotten most of their information on the environment from as well. Mind you the FN, don't work to hard to educate these people, as it's not in their economic interest to do so.

DB - Lets not forget the walls made from skulls! When the Conquistadors arrived, many of the subjugated tribes quickly aligned with them to overthrow the Azetec leadership and for good reason.

I have heard it for years out here from all sorts, pretty much all whites of both sexes and every class. I did a lot of FN consultation and I can count on one hand and have spare fingers for the times I have heard a FN person say it. Most of the FN people are oblivious of how bad treatment could be on non-native in a similar time, which I get, they were wrapped up in their own trauma. I am fairly forgiving of my ancestors up until the beginning of the 20th century. After that time period, things improved rapidly for poor/discriminated non-FN people, but the FN's were totally screwed by the Indian Act, Indian Agents and bureaucrats, along with the PC class of the time supporting bad decisions. I swear most people information they have on FN's is from Disney, which is also where they seem to have gotten most of their information on the environment from as well. Mind you the FN, don't work to hard to educate these people, as it's not in their economic interest to do so.

At the risk of over generalizing, I also think that 'they' in general are exceedingly polite and resist trying to preach to others out of a sense of respect.

We can learn alot from people like that.

My meetings were all over the map. Some were friendly, funny, polite, while others were downright hostile with insults being hurled and other things. Plus in large multigroup meetings you would often see the men generally talking over the women and old feuds between bands would surface. Sometimes how they act is all part of the negotiating game.

I took two native studies courses at University. One was absolute garbage. The professor was pushing communism in a native studies course. The other was absolutely fascinating. Pre colonial warfare, trade and diplomacy. We covered neolithic tribes all the way to societies on the cusp of imperialism. Was an eye opener and non of it was sanitized.

DB - Lets not forget the walls made from skulls! When the Conquistadors arrived, many of the subjugated tribes quickly aligned with them to overthrow the Azetec leadership and for good reason.
Dances with Wolves. Blame Kevin Costner.

There was a pitched battle along the route of what is now Highway 16 in BC, the local natives fortified it as it was a pinch point between high terrain and the river. I think I got the coordinate right 52° 8'36.79"N 123°56'9.20"W

There was a pitched battle along the route of what is now Highway 16 in BC, the local natives fortified it as it was a pinch point between high terrain and the river. I think I got the coordinate right 52° 8'36.79"N 123°56'9.20"W
Everybody assumes that pre colonial natives fought with light raiding forces but pitched battles, fortifications armour and shields were used, there are accounts even of Haida armour stopping bullets. Some amazing history.

But did they make drinking cups from the skulls of their enemies? 😈

I've seen this sacrificial stone in the museum in Mexico City. It was in use for hundreds of years and likely has a bigger body count than the 8th Air Force:

Human sacrifice in Aztec culture​

I bought a replica Mayan obsidian sacrificial knife at Chichen Itza in early 2009.

If I ever wanted to have my heart slashed out - and I do not - I certainly wouldn't opt for that, were any choice of implement given.

It's thick.

Back