• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remains found at Kamloops residential school 'not an isolated incident,' Indigenous experts and leaders warn

I bought a replica Mayan obsidian sacrificial knife at Chichen Itza in early 2009.

If I ever wanted to have my heart slashed out - and I do not - I certainly wouldn't opt for that, were any choice of implement given.

It's thick.
From my reading and visit down there, I get the impression that the more the victim suffered the better in their eyes.

I cannot recall the author's name, but there was a most excellent historical novel entitled, simply, "Aztec" that I read many years ago. I highly recommend it.

I cannot recall the author's name, but there was a most excellent historical novel entitled, simply, "Aztec" that I read many years ago. I highly recommend it.
Gary Jennings. He also wrote The Journeyer which I quite enjoyed - a fictionalized account of Marco Polo's travels, and Thorn, which I found a little more disturbing.

Here we go...

2 Catholic churches destroyed in overnight fires in Okanagan​

Sacred Heart Church, St. Gregory's Church were both on fire around the same time early Monday​

Two Catholic churches have been destroyed after separate overnight fires in the South Okanagan area of B.C.

The Sacred Heart Church on Penticton Indian Band lands was burned early Monday morning, the parish confirmed with CBC on Monday.

The St. Gregory's Church, in the Oliver area on Osoyoos Indian Band lands, was also in flames around the same time.

Catholic Father Obi Ibekwe said the parish would be waiting for results of an RCMP investigation before making further comment.

Penticton and Oliver are roughly 40 kilometres apart.

Here we go...

2 Catholic churches destroyed in overnight fires in Okanagan​

Sacred Heart Church, St. Gregory's Church were both on fire around the same time early Monday​

Two Catholic churches have been destroyed after separate overnight fires in the South Okanagan area of B.C.

The Sacred Heart Church on Penticton Indian Band lands was burned early Monday morning, the parish confirmed with CBC on Monday.

The St. Gregory's Church, in the Oliver area on Osoyoos Indian Band lands, was also in flames around the same time.

Catholic Father Obi Ibekwe said the parish would be waiting for results of an RCMP investigation before making further comment.

Penticton and Oliver are roughly 40 kilometres apart.

Nothing good will come of this.

Other than the crime of arson, purging of religion is a good thing.

Doubt it. Once the religion is emptied out of a person's mind, a void remains which most find hard to fill; there is no longer any higher authority to appeal to in order to settle the matter of what ought to be nor any hope to cling to in adversity except what one creates for oneself. A few can manage this; most break.

Churches serve no purpose. Other than the crime of arson, purging of religion is a good thing. Brick by brick.
Really? I guess the girl guides, dog training, AA groups, kids basketball, badminton groups that rent the local church does not count? Nor apparently do the soup kitchens, the senior programs, the overseas youth support and overseas community support they give counts for nothing? How about the choir groups, I guess gospel and other music forms like Motown can dwindle away?

Really? I guess the girl guides, dog training, AA groups, kids basketball, badminton groups that rent the local church does not count? Nor apparently do the soup kitchens, the senior programs, the overseas youth support and overseas community support they give counts for nothing? How about the choir groups, I guess gospel and other music forms like Motown can dwindle away?
Sponsoring refugees - and doing a much-better job of it than the federal government. Many sponsoring groups still maintain friendships with the families whom they sponsored and guided years ago. Federally-sponsored refugees were, in many cases, pretty much abandoned to their own devices at the end of a year.

Not to mention welcoming Muslims into their midst, with no requirement or even ask to convert, one lady came from a particular sect in Africa that did not fit the "mainstream Sunni" idea of worship, she found community and a place to worship Allah at the church.

Churches serve no purpose. Other than the crime of arson, purging of religion is a good thing. Brick by brick.

That sounds similar to what the Emperor of mankind said to Uriah Olathaire, before being elevated to God-Emperor of mankind.

Doubt it. Once the religion is emptied out of a person's mind, a void remains which most find hard to fill; there is no longer any higher authority to appeal to in order to settle the matter of what ought to be nor any hope to cling to in adversity except what one creates for oneself. A few can manage this; most break.

A void is only created when something leaves. What if that 'something' was never there? Thousands of people are successfully raised in a secular environment everyday. If the position is that they are somehow lacking and perhaps just don't realize it, that would a tad judgmental.

I get faith, I don't get organized religion.

Some were good farmers. Some were good bricklayers. Others were good story tellers. And they needed some of that crop yield, and some bricks laid too...

But in this day & age, are churches the biggest problem we have? Hardly. As many others have pointed out, many do a lot of good in the community when the government can't or won't. It still doesn't make any of it real, but it also isn't a huge priority to dismantle. If organized religion helps some people find purpose in their life, that's awesome. Wish it worked for me!

I’m not a worshipper but you’re crossing a line. Maybe you don’t like religions but some very good folk do.
I don’t like soccer so let’s dismantle that field by field

Back