• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

remuster/enroll as FE...

RetiredRoyal

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Andy (Bison),

Looks like they could let me re-enroll directly to FE. The logic is that why enroll me as an AVN, post me at public expense when 10 minutes after I get sworn in I'll remuster to FE and get accepted because they are 36 in the red right now, only to post me at public expense again.

The AI&LT (air force intake and liason team) is doing exactly that with a member right now, re-enrolling directly as FE. I've got my particulars into the Chief in charge of the program, he's going to talk to the Mangler and then direct the recruiting centre to bring me in as 091, providing i pass all the other hurdles.

So, I can do the entry level PT test, but need to drop some weight fairly quickly. I qualified for all but one trade the last two times I wrote the entrance test, but have heard it's changed. Medically, I have no new issues. I was 311225 when I got out, so should be ok.

My AME license and pilots license aren't going to hurt me either.

Any hints, tips, tricks??

Well......that's good news. I kind of figured it was possible, seeing how we need FE's. 34 guys applied since the summer/fall and all 34 got accepted. Even a combat engineer got accepted after remustering to that trade 4 years ago from AVN. You'd have some time as the next 2 serials are full, should be anyways. Other than you say you must shed some weight, nothing else really to say. The TQ5 (I'm old school) course is quite easy, more a review than anything.
Not sure when you last did the testing last but it has changed. There's only 3 parts to it now but still, a piece of cake. I don't see why FE's have to do it anyways as we are (were to a point now) the only feeder to the trade. Seeing you'll be enrolled directly to the trade, you should have no pay issues after finishing the 5's. Then again.....Many guys got/are getting screwed by CFRG over the pay and what incentive level they should be at. I did and many months later, still am. I actually went down a pay grade but the directive states you are to be paid to the nearest pay prior to remustering but not lower than. But had they put me higher than I'm entitled to, they would have caught the mistake right away. But it's all back pay.
And decide where you want to be as you'll be asked day one and the trend lately is by the end of week one, you'll know where you'll be posted (99% for sure as messages are not cut til the end of the course). Of your 3 choices, they will ask you to put a 1 Wing posting down as at least one of them. But most will end up in TacHell/CS anyways so pick your poison wisely.
I'm off to bed but anything else, ask away. Oh, clothing....seeing as your likely getting in directly, I'd imagine you'll be BTL for a short while before your 5's. Flying clothing is hit and miss for some sizes....and what your entitled to. Don't let supply say your not entitled to this or that. But for the course, the kit list (426 has it on their DIN site), though basic, is all you'll need. But do take the CADPAT rainwear and depending on the season, the intermediate and/or parka. Ok, I'm done for now.....later.

Andy

Any other FE's want to pipe in, feel free.

bison33 said:
Even a combat engineer got accepted after remustering to that trade 4 years ago from AVN.

Andy, I remember that guy, i taught on his QL3 at CFSME.  We looked at him and couldnt help but ask "WTF were you thinking ?"

ya, the freaking archaic useless BMI scale....when will the military come to terms with the fact that BMI is no way to determine a persons body fat....it's like saying all boxes that are 12" X 12" should weigh 15lbs, regardless of contents. I got put on piggy parade right out of the infantry for BMI, when the over fat health nurse did the caliper check I was around 12%....they actually put a note in my doc's my allowable BMI was 27.

Things have changed a bit, but not too much since then. I'd feel better cutting weight before my medical and pt test.

I'm shooting for an Ontario posting, hoping for trenton if I can get it. I heard they are looking at moving the Grif's out and some Corm's in....who knows.

I have a couple questions in preparation for my interview.

How long is the course now.

I know what FE's do, but what's the official job description.

How would I describe a day in the life of an FE on his first posting, if i can get trenton?

Thanks in advance....

Well cndaviator...he obviously wasn't thinking but he seemed to have got that army stuff out of his system, or so he thinks. Odds are, he'll stay in Edmonton. But still better than being back in a regiment.

RR....Trenton, still flying the Griffs outta there. A guy who just finished his 5's got posted there, so there maybe a micro glimmer of hope. Not sure when the Comorants will be up and running again.

The basic FE course is about 7 weeks long. After that (I'll use my world as an example) you have to do some time turning wrenches in Maintenance/Servicing for a few months. But during that time, you may be loaded for a BSERE, sea survival or RUET(rotorywing underwater egress training), driver courses for the army trucks and so on. Then your off to St. Hubert for the AVN course. After that, the real fun starts....the flying. You'll also do a AVS course at some point. After sometime, depends on various things it's off for the OTU, the wings course.
The day to day depends.....a FEUT (FE under training) reverts to the coveralls and is treated like he knows nothing about anything by many techs. You want to throttle some of these ********* but in the end, you just ignore them. But you also get the odd flight in, a course here or there. Lots of reading, asking questions as there's alot to know. But unlike being a tech, your treated like an adult. In tech world, someone always told you when or what to do for things like dental, PT etc.....not in FE world, you are your own boss for most of that. Some days, you are busy...other days....well, you can be fornicating the canine. But we are a small trade so we stick out no matter where we are. So, the first few months are almost like being a tech again, but better.
Then there are parades, field exercises, BFT, and all that other army crap that we have to do.
As for winged FE's, best off to wait and see for yourself as you'll have time to observe and soak it all in. Hard to explain as I could write a novel, but in TacHell world, we are a busy lot. Busier than FE's in other fleets.
As for a official job description, I'll get back to you on that. Got to find it on the DIN at work as it's not on the recruiting site.

BMI was tossed out years ago by the military. I cannot see it being used as a tool for enrolling but I maybe wrong. Later RR.

Andy

Thanks Bison,

That should help me with my interview.

They stopped enforcing BMI while I was still in but still wrote the info on your express test forms. Dropping some weight will still help with blood pressure, heart rate etc. I'm doing twice a day cardio and weights 3 times a week, so I should be ok.

I recall a fellow in Edmonton (who came with 435 to Winnipeg, i was in 440 in edmonton), whose BMI was so low, they ordered him to the mess hall for some kind of protein shake a couple times a day.

I was always afraid they'd stamp my meal card 'no desserts'.

OMG, did you say BFT as in Battle Fitness Test....they should run that one here in Winnipeg...base would be empty in a week...lol....better start doing 2X 10's too...

Do you remember Jack Bernier, Ron Bernard and Jim Mackey?

Jack works for me now, Ron has just gone from Standard Aero to some pharmacy company and Jim was working for me for a bit, he's at the main campus of Red River College teaching math half time now...

Send me another PM, i lost your other e-mail addy....later.

Back