• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve University Reimbursement Program

Pikache

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I heard a rumour that university reimbursement program may be cancelled after this year...

Any SME out there can enlighten an university student?

Thanks.

I've also heard that...although I asked the recruiting officer the other week, and he said it was still on. But who knows?

This program was in danger of being cancelled, because no dedicated funding had been set aside for it by the branch of NDHQ responsible for education issues. As well, outside the Army , the program was apparently not very well understood: some people in NDHQ thought it wasn't achieving anything. Fortunately, this spring the A/CLS MGen Caron istened to the cry from the Army Reserve and went to bat for the Reimbursement Program, because the Army (especially the Army Reserve) believes in it. The A/CLS asked the VCDS to give the program a chance. While I saw a copy of the A/CLS' letter, I do not know exactly what the VCDS reply was. However, to the best of my knowledge the program was not cancelled but was extended until next year to permit the Army to make a full assessment of its value.

In my opinion it is a "Win/Win/Win" because:

-it helps the Army Reserve recruit and retain;

-it helps young Canadians get higher education at a time when this is becoming  very expensive; and

-it gives the country a better educated population, which is probably a good thing.

I am all for it: it should be expanded to include Community College courses such as Vehicle Mechanic and EMT/Paramedic that would be of use to our support soldiers in the Reserve such as EME and Medics.  Cheers.

honestly, it is one of the reasons I wanted to join up. Well it's further down the list of reasons but it is still there.
The one year in with unit stipulation isn't that bad a deal considering the many alternatives *like not having ANY monies for tuition.*

I too first became interested in the reserves because of this program.. And I have heard of the rumor of it shutting down. I dont think I will quit because of it being discontinued but I cant help but feel cheated. All these recruiters that came to school, or public events, hockey games, talked up this program, so hear I am joining and I don't get it potentially.

However, when I went for my CF interview after my CFAT and physical I asked if the program was still going, and to her knowledge she said it was. I have heard nothng but conflicting reports so I don't know what to believe.

I got my 2nd year of University paid for, although less then the half that I requested was given (800 as apposed to the actual 1200 it was supposed to cost.  I submitted my application for the 3rd year and never got any communication on whether they were going to do it.  I didn't even bother with my final undergrad year as in my experience, blundering through all the red tape the Army insists on setting up makes alot of these programs a pain in the ass to attempt to utilize.

Another question.

I just got told that I can't get any reimbursement because I got too much bursary from school and apparently they take that into account.
I've read DAOD 5031-3 concerning education reimbursement and I did not read anything that says bursary will be taken into account. http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5031/3_e.asp

Does anyone know if there is a supplementary doc that says otherwise or am I out of her?

Thanks

Being told and being shown the relevant docs are different...

Well, according to the response I got from people who are in charge of this, bursaries are considered, 'partial reimbursement'.

From DAOD 5031-3
Members who will receive partial reimbursement from another organization may be reimbursed the remaining portion in accordance with this order on presentation of documentation that records payments already received.

My question is, what is the exact definition of partial reimbursement? Does that include both bursaries and scholarships?

In response to the original question:

When I got back from training this summer, Ship's Office and my CO (when he addressed the parade) told me that the reimbursement programme has indeed, sadly, been cancelled.  We're eligible for last year, but this year's tuition and expenses will not be reimbursed. There are no plans to reintroduce the programme, but they are considering implementing a new one.

I would assume what I was told is the official word.

Well, apparently definition of partial reimbursement applies to both scholarship and bursaries. No docs has been shown to me telling me the official definition though.

My advice, don't let scholarship or bursary moneys show up on your school's financial statements.

To update my above post:

The reserve reimbursement programme has been reinstated, retroactive to September 2004.  It will be available to all undergraduate and graduate students with, so far as I understood, the same limitations as in the previous programme: up to a max of 50% of expenses or 2000$ per school year. There was, however, no word on bursaries or scholarships or the like.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/22130.0.html
http://army.ca/forums/threads/22131.0.html

I've gotten the PEP reimbursement for 2 years of university, and it was the worst run program I've ever seen, bureacracy and the army at their worst. Very discouraging. The people running it (from the unit clerk to the BPSO) had no idea what was going on, and paperwork dragged forever (one year or so for each application). For my second year, the only reason I ever saw a dime was because, a year after my submission, I had returned from tour and was in Edmonton and was able to go to the relevant office personally and start asking questions.
Great program, very promising, but most people I've talked to had so much hassle getting the money, or received less than their entitlement or nothing at all, and have given up on it. The concept is one thing... execution another.

This was released yesterday.

01  01  021526Z NOV 04  RR  RR  UUUU                  ADMHRMIL 068
NDHQ OTTAWA//ADM HR MIL//
CANFORGEN
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 135/04 ADMHRMIL 068
SIC WAB/WAC
BILINGUAL MESSAGE / MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJ: EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT- PRIMARY RESERVE (P RES)
REFS: A. CBI 210.801
B. ADM(HR-MIL) INSTRUCTION 04/01
1. A FOUR-YEAR TRIAL TO PROVIDE EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE P RES CONCLUDED IN AUG 04. THE TRIAL WAS MOST SUCCESSFUL AND IT IS BEING IMPLEMENTED AS A SUBSTANTIVE CF PROGRAM THAT INCLUDES BOTH UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE PROGRAMS AT CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES OR COLLEGES.
2. EFFECTIVE 1 SEP 04 IAW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET OUT IN REF A, ELIGIBLE P RES OFFICERS AND NCMS WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE BASIC MILITARY QUAL (BMQ) COURSE REQ D BY THEIR ENVIRONMENT MAY CLAIM FIFTY PERCENT OF EDUCATION EXPENSES TO A MAX OF $2K PER ACADEMIC YEAR AND A CAREER MAX OF $8K (INCLUDING EXPENDITURES UNDER THE TRIAL) FOR POST SECONDARY EDUCATION LEADING TO A DIPLOMA, DEGREE OR ADVANCED DEGREE AT A CANADIAN COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY OR ACCREDITED EDUCATION INSTITUTION.  REIMBURSEMENT IS SUBJECT TO SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ACADEMIC COURSES AND MAINTENANCE OF EFFECTIVE STRENGTH STATUS IN THE P RES.
3. TO ACCESS THE PROGRAM, MBRS SHALL SUBMIT AN INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PLAN (ILP) THROUGH THEIR UNIT TO THE W/BPSO OUTLINING THEIR EDUCATION PRIORITIES, OBJECTIVES AND ASSOCIATED COSTS.
4. CLAIMS FOR THE ACADEMIC YR SEP 03 TO AUG 04 MAY BE PROCESSED IAW REF B.
5. INFORMATION ON THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED ON THE CDA WEB SITE INTRANET HTTP://CDA-ACD.MIL.CA/INDEX/ENGRAPH/HOME_E.ASP. INTERNET HTTP://WWW.CDA-ACD.FORCES.GC.CA/INDEX/ENGRAPH/HOME_E.ASP. QUESTIONS MAY BE DIRECTED THROUGH UNITS TO W/BPSO. A TOLL FREE NUMBER HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED AT 1-888-541-6889 AND WILL BE AVAILABLE TO ASSIST MEMBERS FOR EXTENDED HOURS AS PER THE CDA WEB SITE. 
END OF ENGLISH TEXT / LE TEXTE FRANCAIS SUIT

if i joined the reserves is it 100% guaranteed that they will help me pay for university when i finish highschool?

(Moderator edit to correct typos in thread title.)

If you take the reserve route, you apply for an ILP which reimburses you 50%, up to $2000/year.

Forces.ca said:
Enrol as an Officer in the Canadian Forces through the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP), and you will attend the Royal Military College. You will receive an officer cadet’s salary when doing military training but you must pay for your own tuition and books. You will be eligible for a reimbursement of up to $2,000 per year to a maximum of $8,000.

It is also possible to sign up first as an officer or a non-commissioned member in the Primary Reserve and set up an “Individual Learning Plan” to attend courses leading to a college or university degree related to your trade; upon successful completion of such courses, you will be eligible for a reimbursement of up to 50 per cent of tuition and other mandatory costs.

Reservists can leave the Canadian Forces at any time with no obligation. Education fees for successfully completed courses are reimbursed as long as the student was a Reservist during the entire duration of the course.

Basically, you pay for your schooling and get reimbursed the next year

More info here:
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96

1. join inflantry reserves at 16
2. finish high school
3. go to university while in reserves as an ncm
4. finish university and be promoted to an officer rank
5. tranfer to become a pilot?

also i have this question
1. if your an ncm in the cf and you get your degree (from UBC for me) are you automatically promoted to an officer no questions asked?

JesseBertucci said:
1. if your an ncm in the cf and you get your degree (from UBC for me) are you automatically promoted to an officer no questions asked?

NO !

Back