• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves to Reg Force and beyond

Mudshuvel

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I read through many and many of these posts here, got some good information and would like more. I currently have my Adult High School diploma. In New Brunswick, it means the basic 9credits to graduate. I'm not insinuating that I want to immediately go to the RMC, I know how difficult it is to get into even with a full 20-credit transcript. I would love to get into the Reserves and go for officer training if possible. Furthermore, I am looking for a career. I'm looking (excuse me for using the US Army's motto) to be all I can be. I'm working call centers now and as much as it does pay the bills, I have wife and two kids, and her job is taking care of them which doesn't pay. Her and I have discussed this at length, and I do want to become something other than just an NCO. I guess my question is, would an Adult High School diploma still allow me to take basic trades through the military? In my situation would it be better to go to the reserves, stay my 9-5 job at the contact center then go for Reg Force in a few years? Its just impractical for me to go back to school since I'm the only bread winner and the military helps you out with those costs and pays you salary in some circumstances.

And no, I'm not just using the military for that, whatever I learn in the military, I'm using in the military. I have family in the CF and I would love to continue that trend for the welfare of myself, and my family and you never know when a company will go under and I'll be on the job market.

For starters, there is no such thing as "just" an NCO/NCM. Everyone has a role and a place in the CF, and each one is equally important. There are challanges aplenty on both sides of the fence and people have fulfilling careers serving as both officers and NCMs.

As for your options, have you been to a recruiting centre, or contacted a nearby reserve unit? They would be able to advise you on options as well.

ROTP is extremely competitive, the online recruiter i spoke with told me that you need to be in the 80's for marks all the way across the board, plus leadership skills etc etc etc.  If you have the marks then i think most on the board would agree that apply for ROTP now and save time as the process to transfer from res to reg is apparently quite long.  If you dont have the marks then perhaps the reserve is a good route as you could use the educational reimbursment to upgrade and then apply for ROTP. 

There are many ways into the uniform, contact CFRC in your area as they are the experts.

RTG :cdn:

Back