• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

reservists in CANSOFCOM (Split from CSOR thread)

BKells

Inactive
Reaction score
Now don't jump all over me here... but I heard from a reliable source that this JATF / Rapid-Reaction force was going to be a reserve posting/tasking..

BKells said:
Now don't jump all over me here... but I heard from a reliable source that this JATF / Rapid-Reaction force was going to be a reserve posting/tasking..

<Bangs Gavel>

Assemble the unruly mob, this man will be hung for HERESY!!

Yes, you are right, and it will only assist the JTF on operations on weekends and Tuesday nights. ;D

Your reliable source needs a throat punch.

BKells said:

A Reserve SOF component has been discussed but we will have to wait for SOG Command (or whatever its new name is) to sort itself out.  There are Reserves in JTF2 and there are reserve components of the US Green Berets, UK SAS, etc so why wouldn't there be an spot for Reserves in the SOG?

I think GO!!! is responding to the "T" word right after posting....I think Mr. Kells is refering to the WHOLE concept being reserve.

A Reserve SOF component has been discussed but we will have to wait for SOG Command (or whatever its new name is) to sort itself out.  There are Reserves in JTF2 and there are reserve components of the US Green Berets, UK SAS, etc so why wouldn't there be an spot for Reserves in the SOG?

because GO!!! doesn't think there should be one, what are you new? You heard the gavel didn't you.....

dileas

tess

Whoh gentleman, I'm with Bruce - my understanding of the question is that it was a reserve tasking - I think he meant it to be posed as a posting that was open to reservists (as the JTF is) who then sign contracts.

There is a email floating around 1 CMBG.....

Of note is the following para (I added emphasis based on posts above):

"In the steady state once the JATF is up and running, the intent is for it to be a Joint CF Unit which will draw upon the full range of personnel to be members. That being said, initially it is expected that this new unit will be sourced primarily from Army, combat arms, infantry soldiers and officers. The volunteers will most likely come from there, and the OSS training required to convert an airman to a JATF soldier has not yet been developed."

My understanding, for what it is worth, is that once it is up and running then it will be open to everyone like JTF 2.  These guys would probably have to be on the same NTM as the 'ski team'.

for what it is worth...

little jim said:
"In the steady state once the JATF is up and running, the intent is for it to be a Joint CF Unit which will draw upon the full range of personnel to be members...My understanding, for what it is worth, is that once it is up and running then it will be open to everyone like JTF 2.   These guys would probably have to be on the same NTM as the 'ski team'.
heard the same thing as Rumint from dudes who would know, several months ago. Plan is to build it up with Reg force Light Infantry fellers then, once the basic infrastructure is in place, use them to train the other trades/components up to par. But, they intend to rape the Battalions (primarily the Lightfighters) of all their senior guys with advanced courses to fill the required slots, then recruit all of the youngsters to get it up and running as fast as possible, then start worrying about how to bring cooks and clerks, up to Standard, then start worrying about how to do the same with the Reserves. All of the dudes 'recruited' with Advanced courses - Adv Recce, PPF, MOI, Adv TOW, etc, will become slaves to their courses for their first couple of years in the new unit.

Keep in mind that this is all Rumint, and therefore worth less than the time it took to read.

As for it being a Reserve unit, I sincerely hope that either it was typed wrong, it was cited wrong, or the source got back-handed.

"There are Reserves in JTF2 and there are reserve components of the US Green Berets, UK SAS, etc so why wouldn't there be an spot for Reserves in the SOG?"

Can't speak for the other units but I thought the reservists in the JTF were under a full time contract upon being picked up vice a part-time contingency of black pj wearing squirrels.

For the record, I would have no problem with reservists in any unit, providing that they are held to the same standard, but they would have to sign a full time contract, losing many of their rights and priviliges afforded to them as a civilian. Since many of them have made it abundantly clear to me in other threads that they are not willing to do this for anything less than the guarantee of an operational deployment, why is this unit so different?

To me, full time contract = full time soldier, so would not these reservists be in fact undertaking a component transfer to a reg force unit?

CFL said:
Can't speak for the other units but I thought the reservists in the JTF were under a full time contract upon being picked up vice a part-time contingency of black pj wearing squirrels.

Reservists serving at The Hill are on Class C during SOAC and, upon succesful completion, for a fixed contract of usually 4 years.

GO!!! said:
For the record, I would have no problem with reservists in any unit, providing that they are held to the same standard

They are

GO!!! said:
but they would have to sign a full time contract, losing many of their rights and priviliges afforded to them as a civilian.

They do.

GO!!! said:
To me, full time contract = full time soldier, so would not these reservists be in fact undertaking a component transfer to a reg force unit?

No, because at the end of the contract they and the Reg F part ways. 

The intent of Class C is to make up for Reg F manning shortfalls in Reg F units. In theory if a Reg F member becomes available to fill a Reg F position held by a Class C Reservist, that Reservist is deemed "redundant" and can be given 30 days notice that his/her contract is being terminated.  If a Reg F member is declared "redundant" (as described) s/he is just posted somewhere else.

But GO!!! has a point - if I sign a Class C contract for 3 years, am I not just becoming a regular?

By the sounds of it, your even better than a regular......

...to the higher-ups that is, as it sounds like they can "can" you anytime they want.

If a reserve soldier was awarded a year long class C contract with the regular force and a regular force soldier became available to take the position they could actually just tell the reservists that he has 30 days and he's done?

Ghost778 said:
If a reserve soldier was awarded a year long class C contract with the regular force and a regular force soldier became available to take the position they could actually just tell the reservists that he has 30 days and he's done?

In short, yes.

Let's say your working at CFB Somewhere and a Reg F member is granted a compassionate posting to that location AND that he has the rank, trade, quals and skills to fill your position.  The Career Manager can post him into that position and you are SOL (it happened to me).

From ADM (HR-Mil) Instruction 20-04:

5.17 Cessation of a Period of Cl "C" Res Svc

Cl "C" Res Svc may be ceased under several situations. The following is a guide:

End of Period. Cl "C" Res Svc shall cease at the end of the period for which the svc is authorized;

Training Failure. Cl "C" Res Svc shall cease on return to their unit (RTU) if the mbr, while on course, OJT, or pre-deployment training, fails to achieve or complete the required training or course standard and is removed as a training failure;

Lack of Qualifications or Skill Sets. The employing authority may, without notice, cease Cl "C" Res Svc if the mbr reports for Res Svc without the required qualifications, or skills to perform the duties of the posn. This can include false statements of qualification or loss of certification;

Relief From Performance of Military Duty. The employing unit through the Cl "C" Res Svc approving authority, may recommend to the appropriate authorities that the member be relieved from the performance of military duty as set out QR&O 19.75 (for admin purposes) or QR&O 101.08 (for discipline purposes), as applicable, because, under the circumstances, it is considered necessary that the member be separated from the unit;

On 30/60 Days Notice. A period of Cl "C" Res Svc may be ceased on 30 days' written notice if the service is being performed in Canada or 60 days' written notice if the service is being performed outside Canada. The time period could be less if mutually agreed upon. Notice may be given in the following circumstances:

by the employing unit if there is no longer a requirement for the service; or

by the employing unit, through the Cl "C" Res Svc approving authority, if the mbr's performance is unacceptable. However, a period of svc shall not be ceased as a result of unacceptable performance unless the mbr has been advised in writing of their shortcoming(s), the standard of performance expected, reasonable time to overcome the shortcoming(s), the date by which the performance was to have improved and has been advised that the Cl "C" Res Svc would be ceased if performance did not improve; or

by the mbr if they are voluntarily ceasing their period of service.

In the interests of getting this thread back on track, if we can train Reservists to be paratroopers (i.e QOR) why can't we expect them make the cut as members of the JATF?

On another note, an earlier post made reference to Reserve Green Berets.  They must meet the same eligibility criteria and complete the same SFQC as Active Army applicants.

Would not a reservist signing a 3 year contract be guaranteed that money and benefits regardless of them canning you early.  Wouldn't that amount to breach of contract if they didn't?

this was a really interesting thread, can we stay away from the reg vs res topic before it gets trashed ?

CFL said:
Would not a reservist signing a 3 year contract be guaranteed that money and benefits regardless of them canning you early.   Wouldn't that amount to breach of contract if they didn't?

Nope.  There's several "outs" in the contract, as detailed in my previous post.  The big difference is whether your employed inside or outside Canada.  Usually, the CF will honour your full contract if you're outside Canada (you are also entitled to 60 days notice).  Same goes for Class B.  In any case, you will get plenty of notice and the C of C will usually do what they can to employ you for the full term. 

wack-in-iraq said:
this was a really interesting thread, can we stay away from the reg vs res topic before it gets trashed ?

I haven't seen any trashing yet, just discussion of Reserve Terms of Service and the difference between Class C and Reg F. 

Mods:  maybe this should be split off???

OK, so if johnny reservist signs up for the JATF, passes the medical, the course, and is posted to Pet, he would be signed on for a four year hitch.

He would not be allowed to break this contract, and he would be taking advantage of RegF scales of pay, benefits etc.

Seeing as my CoC could fire me on 30 days notice as well, how is he any different than a regular soldier, other than his origin (militia unit)

Why not just force a component transfer?

Back