• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

REVISED PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING POLICIES , CANFORGEN 042/08 CMP 020/08

geo

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
SUBJECT: REVISED PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING POLICIES
REFERENCE: DAOD 5023-2, PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM

1. I WILL BE ANNOUNCING, IN THE NEAR FUTURE, THE LAUNCH OF THE NEW CANADIAN FORCES HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS STRATEGY, THE STRATEGIC LEVEL GUIDANCE ON STRENGTHENING THE CULTURE OF HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS ACROSS THE CF. THE STRATEGY WILL PROVIDE MOTIVATION, AWARENESS, FACILITATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY TO ENHANCE AND SUSTAIN A FIT AND HEALTHY FIGHTING FORCE

2. FUNDAMENTAL TO THE STRATEGY ARE CHANGES IN TWO AREAS. TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE TIME TO PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THESE CHANGES, THESE PROPOSED CHANGES ARE ANNOUNCED TODAY PRIOR TO THE LAUNCH OF THE NEW STRATEGY. THE TWO AREAS ARE:
A. MANDATORY SCORING OF PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING RESULTS ON CF SELECTION BOARDS, AND
B. CANCELLATION OF POSTING LOCATION EXEMPTIONS FROM ANNUAL PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING

3. THE FIRST MAJOR DEPARTURE FROM CURRENT PRACTICE WILL BE TO FORMALIZE THE REQUIREMENT TO INCLUDE MANDATORY CONSIDERATION AND WEIGHTING OF INDIVIDUAL PHYSICAL FITNESS RESULTS AT CF SELECTION BOARDS BEGINNING FOR MERIT BOARDS IN 2009. FITNESS SCORING AT MERIT BOARDS WILL CONSIST OF TWO (2) POINTS FOR ACHIEVING AN EXEMPTION LEVEL UNDER CF EXPRES, OR AN EQUIVALENT HIGHER STANDARD, ONE (1) POINT FOR A PASS AND ZERO (0) POINTS FOR FAILING TO ACHIEVE ANY STANDARD. TO THAT END, YOUR FITNESS RESULTS FOR THE NEXT YEAR WILL BE USED AT MERIT BOARDS IN 2009

4. NEXT, THE DAOD AT REFERENCE CURRENTLY ALLOWS FOR CF PERSONNEL WHO ARE POSTED TO LOCATIONS IN CANADA WHERE TESTING IS NOT FEASIBLE, OR IN LOCATIONS OUTSIDE CANADA (OUTCAN) WHERE THERE ARE NO CERTIFIED PSP STAFF EMPLOYED, TO BE EXEMPTED FROM ANNUAL PHYSICAL FITNESS EVALUATIONS.  AS OF 1 APRIL 2008, LOCATION EXEMPTIONS FROM ANNUAL FITNESS EVALUATIONS WILL CEASE. ALL CF PERSONNEL POSTED WITHIN CANADA AND IN OUTCAN POSITIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO ANNUAL TESTING AND WILL BE EXPECTED TO EITHER ARRANGE SUCH TESTING THROUGH EXISTING PSP SUPPORT IN SPECIFIC OUTCAN LOCATIONS, OR TO UNDERGO A TEST WHILE ON A REGULARLY SCHEDULED DUTY-RELATED VISIT TO A FACILITY WITHIN CANADA WHERE TESTING CAN BE CONDUCTED

5. IN CLOSING, THESE TWO CHANGES ARE THE FIRST IN A SERIES OF CHANGES THAT WILL BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY IN THE NEW CANADIAN FORCES HEALTH AND FITNESS STRATEGY. SIMPLY PUT, IT WILL ENABLE OPERATIONAL SUCCESS BY PROVIDING THE WAYS AND MEANS FOR ALL CF PERSONNEL TO ATTAIN AND MAINTAIN THEIR PERSONAL HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS SUFFICIENT TO MEET CF OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AT HOME AND ABROAD

6. SIGNED BY GENERAL R.J. HILLIER, CHIEF OF THE DEFENCE STAFF

How will this affect the 13km march? Will the Army have us do the express test, then a 13 km on top of that?

The Armyès BFT (13K + Fireman carry + trench dig) qualifies you as exempt on fitness ("EQUIVALENT HIGHER STANDARD" in the CANFORGEN).  So completing it would get you two points on your PER; failing, then successfully completing the basic Express test should get you one point; failing that as well (or not being tested) would get you zero points.

Thank you. Having done both....I prefer the BFT. I know it sounds crzy but...

I'm also more of a fan of the BFT - the shuttle run etc seems to far removed from the real world; there's also a group aspect to the BFT that's important in building morale, trust and knowledge.

Heh... if we base ourselves on what the Commander of the army says he wants, we'll have to do both the BFT AND the Express test (to exemp standard, strictly to pass).

I wish the CLS luck with that.

There has to be ONE standard, not two. If the BFT is the way the Army is going, then so be it. But to force Army pers to do two PT tests when the other elements only do one is unfair, in my opinion.

:warstory:I've been subjected to those aribtrary rules ie: When we ran the 1.5 miles, an officer stated that anyone who doesn't come in under 10:16 will be subject to remedial PT. Well, he legally couldn't do that, as the CF standard was 12:00 minutes for 30 and under.
Just a point to remember. :salute:

Oldsoldur,
There is one standard across the CF.  However, the CLS is within his rights to demand a physical fitness standard that adequately meets the requirements of his environment.  He is not asking the Navy or the Air to meet this standard - only the Army, Navy & Air types who are working in a Green environemnt.

When you think about it, he already has ...

The BFT 13Km, Trench dig & Carry/drag is applied to army positions.  Who says he can't add Express testing to boot.

If it comes to that I'll be prepared for both!
How many pushups would a 50+ male have to do?  ;D

Ummm... for a 50+ years young: 14 Pushup & 17 Situp  and Shuttlerun @ level 5.5 (exempt)

Quick question, is the BFT considered the highest standard across all three elements? I mean I completed the BFT, but the Navy's still making me do the Express test... Just wanted to be clear.

The BFT is the ARMY test... if you're working for the Army, they BFT and you're good to go
If you're working for the navy... you have to do the Navy test... therefore, they can insist that you do the Express test.

geo said:
(to exemp standard, strictly to pass).
Unsure if this has been passed wihtin anyones O Groups, but in recent months we have been advised on more then one occasion that the "new" pass should be expected to be the current exempt level. I am curious, if not eager, to see the release of the new DAOD and of the new standards.

PO2FinClk said:
Unsure if this has been passed wihtin anyones O Groups, but in recent months we have been advised on more then one occasion that the "new" pass should be expected to be the current exempt level. I am curious, if not eager, to see the release of the new DAOD and of the new standards.

I'm reminded of an interview not too long ago where the CDS said we were going to ratchet up the physical fitness standard. I wager this CANFORGEN is the first step. It will be a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff, and gives people another reason to achieve exempt status. One point can mean an awful lot on some merit boards.

geo said:
The BFT is the ARMY test... if you're working for the Army, they BFT and you're good to go
If you're working for the navy... you have to do the Navy test... therefore, they can insist that you do the Express test.

To expand on what geo said,

BFT = the ARMY STANDARD

EXPRESS TEST = the CF STANDARD

Any question?  ;D

Nope... But BFT should be the CF standard...>:D I hate Express Tests :(

MedTech said:
I hate Express Tests :(

Awww, you just say that because of your stubby legs  :-*

I bet you'd like it if it didn't have a shuttle run  ;D

Somewhere I got the impression that the purpose of the Expres test was to act as an indicator for the BFT, the idea being that the Expres test was easier to administer because no special facilities were required (like a place to dig trenches).  Anyone capable of passing the Expres test would, so the thinking went, be able to pass the BFT.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

Back