• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMS CLK

NavyGirl280

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got my phone call yesterday afternoon and I go in on October 13th for my CFAT, medical and interview. I am nervous but more so excited. I have known since day one that I wanted to join the reserves as an RMS CLK. My husband is an NCIop on HMCS Iroquois. I guess I'm just wondering if the CFAT is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Have I been studying too much or not nearly enough? I hear the interview can be nail biting. Then again, I'm sure the experience of each is different from one individual to the next. Does your credit history impact if you get in or not? Mine is fine, however, someone else I know goes in for her interview and such the week after me and hers isn't all that great from what she's told me. If there is anyone out there who is a Clerk or can give me information to help me be better prepared, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

S.Bradbury

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.  I'm a clerk and if you would like to PM me I will try to answer any questions about the trade you may have. 

In answer to your other questions, they have all been discussed in the Recruiting Forum on here.  Give those a read through, and if you still have any questions, feel free to ask away.

Good luck.

:)
I'm also going through for RMS. I'm currently in BMQ and finishing up with SQ by next June/06.

I'm in a Reserve unit in SW Ont.

Does anyone know how the training for RMS is offered ? Can it be broken up into segments?

Can you take OTJ training for part and finish the rest in Borden ?

I would find it quite difficult and expensive to take the full 11 weeks off work for the Reg training.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  8)

Just finished PRes RMS CLK QL3 this summer in Borden.

RMS QL3 is done in 2 ways

1) Course pkg sent to your unit under supervison of your Sgt then the rest done in Borden
or
2) 3 Months at CFSAL (CF School of Administration and Logistcs in Borden) What I did.

Have Fun at CFSAL..(very sarcastic)

NavyGirl280 said:
Hello everyone,

I got my phone call yesterday afternoon and I go in on October 13th for my CFAT, medical and interview. I am nervous but more so excited. I have known since day one that I wanted to join the reserves as an RMS CLK. My husband is an NCIop on HMCS Iroquois. I guess I'm just wondering if the CFAT is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Have I been studying too much or not nearly enough? I hear the interview can be nail biting. Then again, I'm sure the experience of each is different from one individual to the next. Does your credit history impact if you get in or not? Mine is fine, however, someone else I know goes in for her interview and such the week after me and hers isn't all that great from what she's told me. If there is anyone out there who is a Clerk or can give me information to help me be better prepared, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

S.Bradbury

I'm a clerk also; for about 9 years, all reserves.  I don't know that there is anything anyone here can tell you that will prepare you in any way; just keep your nose clean and pay attention to what people tell you to do, and have fun.  QL3 in Borden was, as alreday described here, agonizing, but I had fun on my course.  When I was there it was mostly female candidates so if things haven't changed much you should fit right in with a minimum of stress. I did option one - half before hand at my unit then 30 days in Borden.

Thanks Dorosh

I have been taking in everything that everyone posts and comments left behind as reminders that someone was here. Still I don't know what to make of training. I have never been a quitter and more than once, I have been told that the Irish in me is enough to get me through anything. With a temper like theirs, I couldn't agree more!  ::)

As far as since this post was published, I have taken my test and failed  :(
Don't know what happened....well yeah I do. I studied as much as anyone could study for an "unknown test" but when it came to the math section of the test, they found my weakness. Its been 8 years since I graduated and therefore a refresher course was much needed. I had to get some medical papers together from my family doctor. I have recently sent those back in and so now I wait until anytime after January 13 so I may go back and rewrite my test. This time I know what to expect and know what to brush up on. After writting my test the 1st time, they wanted me in as either Cook or Steward. Personally I have no problems with either of those preferences, however, its not what I applied for and therefore I am trying again with intentions on becoming an RMS CLK (1st choice from the beginning)

Anyway I need to run so I can get ready for work. Take care!

S.Bradbury

Do try the test again. Some people are cooks cause they like it; some are cooks cause they are forced to be one.

I have done GD (General Duties) with cooks for Class A days even though I am a clerk. I can say I don't want to volunteer for that stuff ever again. Not my type of work.

1) Clerks - can be mentally tiring....Sometimes you deal with mind-numbing paper work; sometimes you are rushed to work on a claim....At least you can make sure you get paid on time.

Complete Opposite

2) Cooks - can be Physcially tiring - All ways working....Hulling heavy pots and pans, cooking for large groups, and after its all done..you get to wash the many dishes that accumulated....at least in the field you are guaranteed a shower every day (personal hygeine very important cause it can affect the food you make and the health of the troops) 

Thanks Pteparts, that verifys what I was told also.

I have to connect with our RMS at our local unit and get the course for OTJ underway.

I also heard it is unlikely I will get formal training in 06 and will have to wait till summer 07.

There is very few spots open and my priority is only a cat #3 , not sure what that means but I don't think it's good  :-\

Thanks again Pteparts , anything else you wish to pass on is greatly appreciated

Dguy

umm....cat 3 kinda sucks....last year I had to do a lot of class A days to look worthy of being bumped up to cat1 to get on the course in the summer. It seems that every unit can only nominate 1 person to CFSAL to do the course each summer.

This summer there were 2 English and 1 French Reserve QL3 Courses that were run from July to Aug.

The course took 3 months but surely anyone with half a brain could do it in 1/2 the time... they should just cut out the unnecessary bits like
a)inspections in 3b dress b)drill practice sessions c) mandatory PT 3x a week (not marked on) d) cut out obsolete training from the course....eg. claims were taught with paper forms when every units just use claims-x on computer.

Lack of space on course is also due to lack of qualified instructors. My course of 13 candidates had 2 sergeants who were flown in from Winnipeg and Calgary.   

I despise Claim-X, that system is soooo slow, I'd rather use an electronic copy of the form that I can copy and paste for each claimant. Anyway I guess that is a personal preference...

The course lenght was ok, and the PT part is good, takes your mind off the admin stuff and also remember that you are part of the canadian military, everyone should be fit ;) not because we're clerks that we have to be fat or unfit.

I'm not looking forward to getting Claims-X.

I'm not an RMS Clerk, but I've been working as one in my OR on Class B for the last 4 months.

So now I need a Claims-X course, cuz we only have one other person on irregular Class A who can do the claims...you can imagine the ammount of people I get at the counter on parade nights.

Started out as an 841 and into an RMS reserve clerk for over 13 years. Once your QL is completed, I see an average of three messages a week out looking to fill clerical positions. They school is big on typing now and knowing how or where to find answers to queries. Few clerks are SME in all areas of the trade anymore.

Greetings,

The wife is in basic as we speak, she's just about halfway done.  She will graduate in mid November if all goes well.  She's going RMS clerk and she has no clue as to then her QL3 will start.  So, my questions:

1)  Does anyone know when the first QL3 for RMS Clerk starts after mid November?  Is it possible she will be course loaded on to it?  How can she find this out?

2)  If there is no QL3 starting in the near future, say within 4 months of her grad, how can she go about getting OJT in Petawawa?  Does she push a memo from her end?  Can I start a pull from my end?  Are there many opportunities for OJT in Pet?

Thanks for your time.  Pro Patria!

RCR Grunt said:
1)  Does anyone know when the first QL3 for RMS Clerk starts after mid November?  ...

This is the only one I can answer, the next crse currently sched in MITE starts 15 Jan 08 and runs until 2 Apr 08.

Do you know if it is full or is there a chance she will be course loaded on that course?

Crses are normally loaded 30 days in advance, so this one won't be loaded until early Dec. As for her chances, I have no idea, but according to MITE, there are four crses sched to start on the same date at CFSAL, one of them being a French Crse.

Thats excellent news, thank you. 

Now, as for OJT, is it worth it to have her push for OJT in Pet or will she most likely stay in Borden on PAT platoon till course starts?  There will only be a month till christmas leave and course should start shortly after that.  I think it sounds like more trouble than its worth, and that will most likely be the Army's position as well.  Any input is welcome.

All she can do is ask.  It makes sense as they will not have to pay her TD (or Separation Pay) or worry about R&Q if she stays in Pet while waiting for her course.  We had a new medic do OJT at our unit once, instead of being stuck in Borden on PAT.  OF course, she had two young kids at the time which probably gave weight to her request.

Following BMQ she will be sent to PRETC, where I know there are a few RMS awaiting QL3. PRETC is ultimately the ones who will arrange for OJT outside the Borden area.

However there are 3 Anglo and 1 Franco QL3 starting in January 08, so chances are good that she will go directly to her QL3 with minimal time doing PAT.

Well been a clerk in the Reserves (5 years) and now in the Reg F (6 years), two tours and from experience:

Yes, they teach you claims at CFSAL, manual claims... You need to know how to do the manually before getting on Claims X Web and have the system do it all for you....

Yes, they teach you stuff that you will not do the same way once you get back at your unit, but it is a course!!!

The important part of the course that will stay with you for your entire career even know we all hate it:  PUBS Search... Trust me, at my rank level, I spend a lot of time searching thru those pubs, looking for answers.

Actually, I might ask to go teach at CFSAL.  Why not!

Back