• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Router options?

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
I'm on my third D Link router now in as many years, and I'm becoming more than a little POd by it.  I live in a small town with a Radio Shack The Source store for electronics, and that's it.  All they seem to carry is this D Link crap.  Any other ideas for a decent router that won't break the bank?

I shop on line at NCIX.  I don't promote any particular site but if you are out in the middle of nowhere they do mail order nationally. 

Kat Stevens said:
I'm on my third D Link router now in as many years, and I'm becoming more than a little POd by it.  I live in a small town with a Radio Shack The Source store for electronics, and that's it.  All they seem to carry is this D Link crap.  Any other ideas for a decent router that won't break the bank?

I'll second the NCIX recommendation, but what seems to be the problem with the DLink routers you're getting?  I have a DIR-655 and it's as solid as a rock.

One more vote for NCIX. They do price match as well, so go to sites like http://www.shopbot.ca to find the cheapest price in Canadian online stores and make use of it.

I'm a fan of Linksys routers and have used B and G without any problem.

Sometimes the wireless problem maybe with the wireless card itself, do you have connection problem anywhere else?

Occam said:
I'll second the NCIX recommendation, but what seems to be the problem with the DLink routers you're getting?  I have a DIR-655 and it's as solid as a rock.

They all seem to act the same.  First 7-8 months, as you said, solid performance.  After 8ish or so months on the job, wireless connections are constantly being dropped to my computer(s), connection to my antenna on the roof drops, constant resetting of the router, 8-10 times in an evening of moderate traffic.  Previous model was a DI-524, current one is a WBR-2310.  The behavior has been identical.

Kat:

Try a Belkin if you can lay your hands on one.

I have a Belkin Model N wireless router and have had no problems with it in over 2 years of use.

tango22a

Cheers for the replies so far.  I'm not so worried about the "where", have paypal and not afraid to use it.  I'm looking more for a recommendation on the "what".  I hate spending money on crap more than once, as the local Dodge truck dealer became fully aware of a few years ago.

Kat Stevens said:
They all seem to act the same.  First 7-8 months, as you said, solid performance.  After 8ish or so months on the job, wireless connections are constantly being dropped to my computer(s), connection to my antenna on the roof drops, constant resetting of the router, 8-10 times in an evening of moderate traffic.  Previous model was a DI-524, current one is a WBR-2310.  The behavior has been identical.

Stupid question time Kat, have you looked to see if there are any firmware updates for your models.

I'm  a fan of Newegg (there's http://www.newegg.ca now), they periodically offer free shipping on some models.  I'm using a mini Linksys.

Another option (depending on your level of geekiness) is to google "Tomato router", find a cheap model that accepts the Tomato (or other open source) firmware, and roll your own... there's an ASUS model that's usually on sale at NewEgg that's Tomato friendly...

I'm using a Cisco "linksys" router at work for wireless internet for the truckers....they love it.

ps....I have a D-Link at home....solid for the past few years...

Say again all after "Another option...", over.

NFLD Sapper said:
Stupid question time Kat, have you looked to see if there are any firmware updates for your models.

Good advice, but with D-Link you have to be careful;  more than once the consensus of users has been that a particular firmware update actually makes problems worse.  My DIR-655 is good up to version 1.21, but many people have reported problems with newer firmware versions.  It's always best to do a bit of searching to see how others have fared before doing firmware updates.

Back