• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

Crisco

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been focusing alot on my running doing moderate paced long distance runs on a treadmill at 1.0 incline and anywhere from 7.5-7 km/ph speed. I'm able to do this for about 5 miles, around 40-45 mins. Do you guys feel this is up to par? My reason for asking this is because I heard the ruck march test can be up to 8 miles. And also my other question is, how long is the average ruck march during basic, I also want to start running with a weighted back pack to prepare for that too. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Will do :D Also do you feel ruch marching would be any way beneficial on a treadmill at 1 incline or should I measure out 3ks away from my home and do there and back outside?

I never did this yet but I'm expecting to do it this summer. These are the tips I receaved from army friends of mine.

1. Jog 3-4 times a week, make sure you can go long distances at a good pace. Running fast and quick wont do you any good. You have to moderate your time

2. Do squats wearing a bag on your back. WHen you first start doing these the load in the bag must be light, as you progress and get bettr add more weight.

3. Make sure you have a good posture. I know this sounds funny but I was told it really helps. If you are standing straight and walking correctly then you will have the ability to do more.

4. Make sure you have the proper insoles in your boots. If you need custom orthotics (like I do) then wear them. If not get a nice Gel Pad for your boot. It helps a lot

I hope these tips helped.

Any info is helpful info :D my thankyou is really belated because I went away for a few days so here it is, tyvm :)

My BMQ is coming up real soon and I started training for it a little late. For 2 weeks now I've been running 3 to 4 days a week outside and with some hills.  I can only do a little over 3k but I'm improving.  I smoke but I'm past the point of running out of breath and now it's just muscle fatigue holding me back (also should get better shoes, running + skate shoes = sore ankles).  I'm going infantry so know my fitness level should be above par.  How concerned should I be?

3k is my limit for constant running after a short walk (5min) I can continue.  I guess what I'm asking is if the 5ks are constant or not?
anyways no matter what I'm going to keep pushing myself harder I'm never been the type of guy to be happy with just doing the minimum.

Johnnyfive said:
How concerned should I be?

You should be extremely concerned.

Johnnyfive said:
I guess what I'm asking is if the 5ks are constant or not?

Of course they are, a 5K run is nothing, especially for infantry units.  3K is not going to cut it at all.

Johnnyfive said:
also should get better shoes, running + skate shoes = sore ankles

Yeah, no doubt.  Sounds to me like you need to take this a lot more seriously.

If you can run 3km you can run 5km, and if you can run 5 you can run 10... it's just a matter of how far you go before you give up. If you don't let yourself quit you'd be surprised how far you can go.

The more fit you are, the easier things will be mentally.  If your PT is weak it will make BMQ/IAP or whatever other course you are on that much more difficult.  3km runs are short, and from the tone of your post I think you know this. But as you say, you are not the type to be satisfied with the minimum and that attitude should help not only pass but in your career later on. As to your question of whether the runs are constant or not; PT is somewhat dependent on the course staff you have, though all courses have certain standards that they must adhere to obviously, not to mention busy schedules to fit in.  But I wouldn't but my money on any breaks during runs, except to to other exercises. I would also imagine the runs would be between 4-8km normally, however, someone whose been on or staffed a BMQ recently will be able to tell you with much more certainty.

...and you should be extremely concerned.
5km in 25min is a good benchmark for starting a BMQ/IAP

Munxcub said:
If you can run 3km you can run 5km, and if you can run 5 you can run 10... it's just a matter of how far you go before you give up. If you don't let yourself quit you'd be surprised how far you can go.

Excellent advice. This is pretty much the key to running. Your distance is determined by your ability to ignore that voice in your head that says: "I'm exhausted. I should stop and rest a little while."

Thanks for the advice! Now I have better idea of what I'm getting myself into.  Pain in my ankles is the reason I stop after about 3k my feet get really swollen, I know I need new shoes but I'm low on funds.  I'm also sure that running with other people helps to keep you going. I'm currently doing 3k in about 15min I also do about 200 push ups in sets of 30 throughout the day.

Johnnyfive said:
... I'm currently doing 3k in about 15min I also do about 200 push ups in sets of 30 throughout the day.

Keep the pace up and 6K in 30 mins is not bad. You probably won't need to get faster for BMQ but you'll need the endurance. I tell people that if they are starting to run, the Running Room has great running clinics and they actually teach a run/walk program. I got my wife and kids to run 31/2mins and walk 30secs and it lowers your heart rate to a level where you can run at a faster rate and go forever. Believe it or not, the running room groups that do this run a 1/2 marathon in under 2 hours.  :salute:

GOOD NEWS!!
I tried some different shoes (still not proper runners though) and just did 7km! I couldn't believe how much less the pain was, I actually got to run out of breath this time. I Regretted stopping because after I did I felt like I could've gone further.  Still, this is a new record for me. After I quit smoking (next month and for good this time) I don't see any reason why I can't become a good runner and shoot for a marathon one day, but for now just not falling behind at BMQ will do.

Munxcub said:
That was inspirational. Thank you.

Munxcub said:
  There's a point where i just start pukeing though  :(

Well of course there's always limits, but it's usually a lot farther away then you think. :) I know when I run I start thinking "I should walk a bit..." and then I take stock of what's going on. "My legs aren't THAT tired... I'm not THAT winded... My feet are fine... Back doesn't hurt... WTF am I walking for?! Get running wimp!"  ;D

Munxcub said:
Well of course there's always limits, but it's usually a lot farther away then you think. :) I know when I run I start thinking "I should walk a bit..." and then I take stock of what's going on. "My legs aren't THAT tired... I'm not THAT winded... My feet are fine... Back doesn't hurt... WTF am I walking for?! Get running wimp!"  ;D

"I'm not about to collapse/have a heart attack JUST yet! Get running wimp!"

Johnnyfive said:
GOOD NEWS!!
I tried some different shoes (still not proper runners though) and just did 7km! I couldn't believe how much less the pain was, I actually got to run out of breath this time. I Regretted stopping because after I did I felt like I could've gone further.  Still, this is a new record for me. After I quit smoking (next month and for good this time) I don't see any reason why I can't become a good runner and shoot for a marathon one day, but for now just not falling behind at BMQ will do.
That was inspirational. Thank you.

Get thee to a Running Room (or equivalent)!! You will be amazed at how much easier it is to run in actual properly fitted running shoes.  They may seem expensive, since you won't be buying running shoes according to flashy colors or styling, you'll be buying them according to fit and stride/gait, but consider it an investment in your health. Running is good, running injury free is ideal.

Keep up the hard work. Before you know it, you'll get caught up in the endorphine rush and be striving for further distances and attempting to call yourself an "endurance runner". It sounds like you may have been bitten by the bug...now "run with it."

Cheers,

CAW

Nice pun. Yeah in a short period I went from hating it to potentially liking it.
As for the running groups I probably should've done that like a month ago because I leave for BMQ in 19 days, it is defiantly crunch time! I'm now running 4 days a week and now shooting for 10k by the end of the week.  I'm so glad to know that the problem was my shoes and not my body.

Bane said:
            The more fit you are, the easier things will be mentally.  If your PT is weak it will make BMQ/IAP or whatever other course you are on that much more difficult. 

...and you should be extremely concerned.
5km in 25min is a good benchmark for starting a BMQ/IAP

I cannot agree with this more. Your whole day is hooped if a 5km run as the sun coming up destroys you. Whether officer or soldier you gotta be able to think on your feet, and think beyond - "I....can't....breathe...ug....dying."

Scotty Hortonville said:
I cannot agree with this more. Your whole day is hooped if a 5km run as the sun coming up destroys you. Whether officer or solier you gotta be able to think on your feet, and think beyond - "I....can't....breathe...ug....dying."

I don't think this will be a problem for me.  Like I said my issues with running stemmed from lack of proper footwear not loss of breath and I still remain fairly active though out the rest of the day, I still haven't gone for a run at 0500 though.    Now that I've changed my shoes, 5k is not a big deal, hopefully by the time I leave 10k wont be a big deal either.

Back