• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailors to Wear CADPAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IN HOC SIGNO

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I heard a nasty rumour the other day that the Dress Committee at NDHQ is once again pressuring the Navy to go to CADPAT for all sailors at sea. This is to save them money so they can go to one "working dress" uniform. I know this was an issue about 5 years ago and the Navy managed to nip it in the bud.

Anyone hear about this?

With an Army CDS at the helm (so to speak) maybe he doesn't see a problem with this??

Anyone in the know?

The Navy has purchased CADPAT for sailors who are working at places such as Heal's Range, Bentinck Island, Bedford and Aldershot. This is to replace the threadbare old style combat that we still own. As for CADPAT at sea, unless they are made of NOMEX we will still wear the same dress we always have.
There is a move afoot called NICE (Naval Improved Clothing Entitlement) that will hopefully address the crappy and horrible NCD's (coverall debate again) Weat Weather gear and other pieces of kit.

excuse me for walking into yuor House, gents.
I can understand the money angle, sort of, but the Navy and Air Force have entirely different needs from their clothing. One size, in this case, does NOT fit all.
Dumb.

(And I think I deserve credit for the restraint I have shown in not making a joke about the 'size' quote.  ;D  Oh, darn! I just did, didn't I?  ;D)

paracowboy said:
excuse me for walking into yuor House, gents.
I can understand the money angle, sort of, but the Navy and Air Force have entirely different needs from their clothing. One size, in this case, does NOT fit all.
Dumb.

(And I think I deserve credit for the restraint I have shown in not making a joke about the 'size' quote.  ;D  Oh, darn! I just did, didn't I?  ;D)

I don't know about the rest of the Navy, but I will continue to wear "Salt and Peppers" when I am working ashore.

FSTO said:
I don't know about the rest of the Navy, but I will continue to wear "Salt and Peppers" when I am working ashore.
excuse my ignorance, please. What are "Salt and Peppers"?

"Salt & Peppers" is our summer dress consisting of black dress pants and a white short sleeved shirt. Officers wear rank boards and NCMs wear rank slip-ons on the shoulder. N3C?

I was surprised when the air force wound up in CADPATs, albeit with a blue t-shirt underneath.  Mind you, the air force also gave up their old traditional rank names quite readily after unification, when the Navy simply reverted to Naval rank names.

Have you noticed too that more and more people are opting to wear berets with salt & peppers, and everyone and his dog seems to wear back packs while in uniform?  I know the regulations allow it, but it just doesn't look professional to me.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur who can't move with the times; does anyone else think some of these trends aren't for the best?

Phrontis said:
"Salt & Peppers" is our summer dress consisting of black dress pants and a white short sleeved shirt. Officers wear rank boards and NCMs wear rank slip-ons on the shoulder.
Seen. Thank you. I didn't know that dress had a name.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur who can't move with the times; does anyone else think some of these trends aren't for the best?
I do.

Phrontis said:
"Salt & Peppers" is our summer dress consisting of black dress pants and a white short sleeved shirt. Officers wear rank boards and NCMs wear rank slip-ons on the shoulder. N3C?

I was surprised when the air force wound up in CADPATs, albeit with a blue t-shirt underneath.  Mind you, the air force also gave up their old traditional rank names quite readily after unification, when the Navy simply reverted to Naval rank names.

Have you noticed too that more and more people are opting to wear berets with salt & peppers, and everyone and his dog seems to wear back packs while in uniform?  I know the regulations allow it, but it just doesn't look professional to me.

Hello T-Rex this is Teredactyl speaking. I'm with you on the beret wearing Naval Officers. Doesn't look "ship-shape" to me. As for the airforce, why didn't they just go with the army colours and have the shithawk (I know its an Albatross (sp)) sewen on their name tags.

FSTO said:
Hello T-Rex this is Teredactyl speaking. I'm with you on the beret wearing Naval Officers. Doesn't look "ship-shape" to me. As for the airforce, why didn't they just go with the army colours and have the shithawk (I know its an Albacore) sewen on their name tags.

Albacore? Didn't know the Air Force wore a tuna on their name tapes  ;D

Silly me, I was sure it was an eagle on my nametape and beanie.  ;)

Phrontis said:

I guess I'm a stegosaurus then, or maybe a trilobite.  The C&POs can do what they like, but no self respecting naval officer wears a beret with No 3 orders of dress.

God save us from the Army run CF Dress Committee.  I guess they've got a problem with sailors looking like sailors.  I understand the USN has gone to a cam rig in a bluish pattern.  Looks God awful, but I guess now no one will see them coming.

Have to admit that I am one of those non self-respecting naval officers who chooses to wear his beret with this salt and peppers if I'm just going about my daily work week (not on duty, et cetera).  Interestingly enough I noticed at work today that out of all of the guys I went to lunch with (about 8 of us) only one wore his peak-cap.  And he made a comment to the effect that he couldn't find his.  Pretty motley crew, as well: a newly minted Lt(N) CSE, several MARS types and an MSE with 20 + years in.  I find it a practical piece of head gear, more comfortable than the peak and MOST important...easy to find a spot to put it when at Timmies!

If the navy were to move to NOMEX cadpat coveralls, there could be a significant savings, as Helicopter and AFV crews could both benefit from such a uniform, as all three are predisposed towards terrible burns when their respective rides are damaged by EN fire...

Although it would be pretty funny to see several hundred sailors in CADPAT!!

<borg voice> YOU WILL ALL BE ASSIMILATED  ;D

split the difference? CADPAT Nomex? It would still look crappy for Sailors to be in CADPAT, but it would address their needs, and the beancounter's propensity for wasting money to save money.

SeaDog said:
Have to admit that I am one of those non self-respecting naval officers who chooses to wear his beret with this salt and peppers if I'm just going about my daily work week (not on duty, et cetera).  Interestingly enough I noticed at work today that out of all of the guys I went to lunch with (about 8 of us) only one wore his peak-cap.  And he made a comment to the effect that he couldn't find his.  Pretty motley crew, as well: a newly minted Lt(N) CSE, several MARS types and an MSE with 20 + years in.  I find it a practical piece of head gear, more comfortable than the peak and MOST important...easy to find a spot to put it when at Timmies!
I admire your candor, but you obviously need to consort with a higher class of people and gain a bit of couth.  Engineers don't surprise me, they're barely house trained as it is, but you need to hang your head in shame, consider yourself appropriately chastised and go forth and sin no more.  At least you have the good manners to remove your headdress in a restaurant unlike 95% of the servicepeople I see.

Gino said:
I admire your candor, but you obviously need to hang around with a higher class of people and gain a bit of couth.  Engineers don't surprise me, they're barely house trained as it is, but you need to hang your head in shame, considerably yourself appropriately chastised and go forth and sin no more.  At least you have the good manners to remove your headdress in a restaurant unlike 95% of the servicepeople I see.

Ohh Gino you must be spoiling for a fight.
(Obviously he is an east coaster, no self respecting MARPAC MARS officer would even consider a timmies over Starbucks!)

Admiral Buck attended the inaugural meeting with the dress comittee when CADPAT was first proposed for sailors at sea.  He stayed for 5 minutes, flatly rejected the idea, and left.  Unfortunately with Lehre, Fourcier and Buck now retired, we have very little voice in the senior management to protect us from dressing in abhorent green relish on Naval warships.  Not surprisingly, the Air Force rolled over to take it nice and quietly when forced to wear CADPAT, but the Navy has (thus far) held steady course.

SeaDog - you like to wear a beret because it is easier at Timmies?  Pathetic, utterly pathetic old boy.  I don't know any "seadogs" that agree to wear a black felt hat with salt and peppers.  Naval Officers should have only 2 orders of dress - Ship's ball caps and peak caps.  Felt hats are for mud monkeys and Cadets.  Nothing, and I mean nothing looks more unprofessional than the air force version of cadpat - blue undershirt, blue embroidered name tag and rank, with a blue wedge?  I saw a reg force captain wearing this atrocity one day and thought he was in cadets, or a really, really mis-guided reservist.

Gino, FTSO, it is up to us to hold onto the final breath of true naval dress in the CF.  Hillier is pretty much one step away from repeating the travesty that was unification by getting sea-going sailors in cadpat.  We may as well change over to Army/Air Force ranks and wear rucksacks in the ops room.

Gino,
Seeing as though I am a MARS officer, a good chastising is like breathing air and walking...it happens so often and regular that indeed it becomes second nature.  I go forward, however, head bowed and chastised.  As for more couth and a higher class of comrades...well, one word, submarines.  I'll let your imagination paint its own sordid picture of the nature of my social circles.   :-\  (And well done FSTO- I am an east coaster..)

Missile man,
I must admit that the fact that you consider a "ball-cap" is more professional and naval than a beret leaves my eye-brows in a rather knit fashion.

A little more on topic, however, I must say that I find it a bit disheartening that the CF is in such a state that such basic things as a different uniform for different services is even a subject for debate due to fiscal constraints....echoes of Hellyer shouting out from the not so distant past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back